Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car won't start checklist....

Views : 5466

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2017, 22:28   #41
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Why wouldn't VIDA read the logged faults that prevented the car from starting? When an electrical component fails to function the fault is logged in the ECU which controls it and you are supposed to be able to read these logged fault reports, both transient and permanent. I'll ask the same question I apply to all diagnostic problems; what do dealers do when faced with this problem? Do they not use the Volvo diagnostics system, VIDA, to read the logged fault report?
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 23:13   #42
tommyweaves
Premier Member

RE: Tatsfield reply above, yes I agree but I'm not convinced EVERY component necessarily reports faults if it doesn't know it's faulty. Spent hours today with my brother on his P2 D5 (185) Euro 4 V70.

Here's another thought though:

Engine restarts fine after a few minutes being shut off. Longer intervals between starts will mean lower combustion chamber temperature so it takes repeated compression cycles to build just enough temperature for the mix to ignite. Glow plugs prevent this issue. Therefore is it that your glow plugs are not working? I can't believe they'd all fail at once so it would have to be a component common to all 5.

The Euro 4 185 D5 in the P2 has a "GLOW PLUG RELAY". If that was faulty then it would give you the scenario you described earlier this evening.

I don't where it's located, if you have one, how much it costs, or whether it would report itself as faulty, but it's another idea to throw in the pot!

Keep updating!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 11:40   #43
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Why wouldn't VIDA read the logged faults that prevented the car from starting? When an electrical component fails to function the fault is logged in the ECU which controls it and you are supposed to be able to read these logged fault reports, both transient and permanent. I'll ask the same question I apply to all diagnostic problems; what do dealers do when faced with this problem? Do they not use the Volvo diagnostics system, VIDA, to read the logged fault report?
I'm certainly considering taking it to my Volvo indie so they can perform VIDA analysis. Even if that doesn't show anything, I suspect they'll know what to do. I'll do that at the point I give up DIY
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 11:42   #44
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
RE: Tatsfield reply above, yes I agree but I'm not convinced EVERY component necessarily reports faults if it doesn't know it's faulty. Spent hours today with my brother on his P2 D5 (185) Euro 4 V70.

Here's another thought though:

Engine restarts fine after a few minutes being shut off. Longer intervals between starts will mean lower combustion chamber temperature so it takes repeated compression cycles to build just enough temperature for the mix to ignite. Glow plugs prevent this issue. Therefore is it that your glow plugs are not working? I can't believe they'd all fail at once so it would have to be a component common to all 5.

The Euro 4 185 D5 in the P2 has a "GLOW PLUG RELAY". If that was faulty then it would give you the scenario you described earlier this evening.

I don't where it's located, if you have one, how much it costs, or whether it would report itself as faulty, but it's another idea to throw in the pot!

Keep updating!
Cheers - I have pondered over the glow plugs re: is it possible for 2 or 3 to fail at the same time (unlikely) or is the central control not working. I'm worried it might be an ECU thing....but hopefully there is a relay or something.

Will investigate....presumably I can monitor voltage the glow plugs when cranking ?
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 12:19   #45
green van man
Premier Member

Have all your glow plugs failed at once, or has one failed, then another, and another until not enough are working to start the engine?

I know my 300tdi landrover engine starts at the wave of the key in anything except subzero air temps, for most of the year I would not realise they had failed as the engine starts before they have time to do much, sub zero and giving it until the heater light goes out ensures a first time start.

There are plenty of u tube vids on how to test heater plugs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 12:27   #46
cheshired5
Premier Member

A D5 will start with 5 dead glow plugs so that won't be the cause.
That said, on a Euro 4, plugs are needed for effective regeneration so you want them working regardless.

If rail pressure, rpm and coolant temp are all good during a failed start, it could be an immobiliser issue so try the spare key and try to get connected to Vida to check the key recognition.
Is the engine management symbol illuminated?
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 13:09   #47
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
A D5 will start with 5 dead glow plugs so that won't be the cause.
That said, on a Euro 4, plugs are needed for effective regeneration so you want them working regardless.

If rail pressure, rpm and coolant temp are all good during a failed start, it could be an immobiliser issue so try the spare key and try to get connected to Vida to check the key recognition.
Is the engine management symbol illuminated?
Oh, I thought glow plugs were necessary to start ? I was about to start measuring the supply to each when cranking the engine (Haynes manual has a section on testing the pre-heating plugs/relay).

I only have one key. I'm not sure about immobiliser, as even when it's not starting, the is the occasional 'rumble' as if one or more cylinder if firing up.

After pressing the start button, the engine turns for about 3 seconds and stops. There are no lights in the dash, apart from the usual parking brake one. All lights do some on when cranking, including the orange engine symbol, but it never stays on once started, or when it doesn't start. Is that the light you mean ?
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 14:41   #48
cheshired5
Premier Member

What year is your car? I'm wondering whether the CEM issue around 2005/6 is relevant here.....
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 17:43   #49
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
What year is your car? I'm wondering whether the CEM issue around 2005/6 is relevant here.....
57 plate. Date of manufacture 1st November 2007.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 11:17   #50
Semnoz

Can a fault with the crankshaft position sensor manifest itself when the engine is cold ?