Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Continental driving with bi-xenon active lights

Views : 38630

Replies : 211

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 16:40   #41
Mike H

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
Hmmm - this is a pain.

Looks like I might have to have a bit more of play with this to figure it out.
You will find that the car will revert to LH driving mode once the engine has been switched off for about 5 minutes. You then have to reset the lights for RH driving when you restart the car. I have found that my option is greyed out from time to time although Volvo dispute this.

There is no logical reason why the lights can't be tied to the sat nav, I believe that Audi do this. If Volvo feel that the system is safe as it is then they should advise all drivers of cars without bending lights that they should remove their headlight deflector patches each time they stop the car.

Please do complain to Volvo UK Customer Services in due course. They keep telling me that I am the only Volvo driver who has a problem with the system as it is!!!!
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike H For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:47   #42
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Quote:
I have found that my option is greyed out from time to time although Volvo dispute this.
Mine greys out when driving above 5kph, below that you you are able to select the option, above 5kph not. Would suggest that whoever you spoke to at Volvo did not fully understand what the car does.
I think having to select for every journey is a complete pain in the proverbial and IMHO they have introduced a retrograde development in the newer MY cars. I am writing to Volvo to register my dismay, not sure what it will do though!
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:56   #43
Mike H

Quote:
Originally Posted by higthepig View Post
Mine greys out when driving above 5kph, below that you you are able to select the option, above 5kph not. Would suggest that whoever you spoke to at Volvo did not fully understand what the car does.
I think having to select for every journey is a complete pain in the proverbial and IMHO they have introduced a retrograde development in the newer MY cars. I am writing to Volvo to register my dismay, not sure what it will do though!
This is the 2nd XC60 that I have had a problem with, it was somewhat worse in the MY09. Lisa Peacock said that as no one else had complained they would not do anything about it. Volvo Sweden said that Lisa Peacock had told them not to bother!

Had hoped that it would be better with MY12 but not to be. Jo Bright Customer Support Manager for Volvo UK has recently written to me about the new car saying that they are not interested if I don't like the way the system operates. Now waiting for a reply from Volvo Sweden!!

The more people who write the more likely they will apply a software update!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 22:45   #44
Zigster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
That would be really clever, but unfortunately it does not work like that.

You do have the xenon lights and had the engine running?
I do have the xenon lights as part of the premium pack. I didn't have the engine running, though, as I was parked up twiddling my thumbs for a few minutes. I'll try again with the engine running - I suspect that will fix it.

Cheers.
Zigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 11:05   #45
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
You will find that the car will revert to LH driving mode once the engine has been switched off for about 5 minutes. You then have to reset the lights for RH driving when you restart the car. I have found that my option is greyed out from time to time although Volvo dispute this.

There is no logical reason why the lights can't be tied to the sat nav, I believe that Audi do this. If Volvo feel that the system is safe as it is then they should advise all drivers of cars without bending lights that they should remove their headlight deflector patches each time they stop the car.

Please do complain to Volvo UK Customer Services in due course. They keep telling me that I am the only Volvo driver who has a problem with the system as it is!!!!
I've just returned from a 3k mile round trip to Italy, and as you say the lights reset to LH side after every stop for more than 5 mins. IMO this is a completely useless feature, as invariably I kept forgetting to reset the lights after every stop, and as you can't reset them when driving, I spent most of the journey with the lights set for the wrong side. As there is a warning to say the lights are set to RHS I can't see any reason why they can't be set to stay set permanently until reset to LHS manually. I too will be writing to Volvo as this is surely a simple software amendment.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 11:35   #46
Mike H

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
I've just returned from a 3k mile round trip to Italy, and as you say the lights reset to LH side after every stop for more than 5 mins. IMO this is a completely useless feature, as invariably I kept forgetting to reset the lights after every stop, and as you can't reset them when driving, I spent most of the journey with the lights set for the wrong side. As there is a warning to say the lights are set to RHS I can't see any reason why they can't be set to stay set permanently until reset to LHS manually. I too will be writing to Volvo as this is surely a simple software amendment.
If you apply the logic that Volvo use then they should advise drivers without active bending lights to remove the temporary masking patches from the headlights each time they stop the car. I hope you have more luck with Jo Bright Customer Support Manager at Volvo UK than I have. I shoudl send a copy of your letter to Sweden as well to Paul Welander, Senior Vice President, Quality and Customer Satisfaction. His email address is: paul.welander@volvocars.com
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 16:07   #47
Mountain Goat

Well I am impressed. I sent an email via the Volvo UK website about the temp RH light setting, and within 2 hours I got a call back from Jane Terry on customer service. She believes there is an update for this and is going to call my local dealer, Squire Furneaux, to arrange for it to be applied. I'll keep you all updated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain Goat For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 16:59   #48
Mike H

Quote:
Well I am impressed. I sent an email via the Volvo UK website about the temp RH light setting, and within 2 hours I got a call back from Jane Terry on customer service. She believes there is an update for this and is going to call my local dealer, Squire Furneaux, to arrange for it to be applied. I'll keep you all updated.
Is your's a MY2012 XC60?
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 20:40   #49
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Is your's a MY2012 XC60?
Yep. MY12 D5 R Design
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 09:32   #50
Mike H

Quote:
Yep. MY12 D5 R Design
Looking forward to hearing what the dealer says!!