Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lack of camera - will I regret it?

Views : 2827

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2017, 19:26   #41
sammyblackbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
Is there anything that is right about it

As noted, a car would have to be seriously cheap for me to consider one that far out of spec from what I wanted. And I'm not sure any XC90 is that cheap at present.
You're right and that's why we decided today not to go for it. No matter how good a deal, these cars aren't cheap and it's still a lot of money to get something you're not 100% content with.

Thanks for helping me mull it over everyone
sammyblackbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammyblackbaron For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 19:44   #42
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Ive rearranged the camera activation button so that it is at the top corner of the screen with the stop/start button at the corner nearest me. There is nothing in between and then a gap before the next row of most used function buttons are arranged.

So a simple swipe to get the screen and then a press of the conveniently positioned button is all that is needed.
If going slowly and near to something, the sensor screen actuates automatically anyway with the option of auto-parking at the top, where available/fitted
Thought that perhaps some of you would like to see my button arrangement for the easiest access to start/stop and camera buttons.

IMG_1041.jpg
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 08:35   #43
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Thought that perhaps some of you would like to see my button arrangement for the easiest access to start/stop and camera buttons.

Attachment 106396
Moving the camera button to the top left was the first thing I did when I drove out of the dealer and found a car park to have a play with things.

But it doesn't stop the annoyance of the sensor screen popping up automatically when close to objects - the sensor screen basically being exactly the same as the camera screen but without any video, so annoyingly reduced functionality combined with the fact it prevents you from easily getting to the camera button. That's something Volvo should work on, or at least give us the option in settings as to which (if any) screen we want to automatically appear.

It also doesn't solve the issue of the button becoming unavailable for a short while if you mis-judge the timing and press it while you're slowing down at (say) 15mph as opposed to 13mph, where one will present you with the camera screen and the other locks you out of pressing the button again for 5-6 seconds or so.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 12:40   #44
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
But it doesn't stop the annoyance of the sensor screen popping up automatically when close to objects - the sensor screen basically being exactly the same as the camera screen but without any video, so annoyingly reduced functionality combined with the fact it prevents you from easily getting to the camera button. That's something Volvo should work on, or at least give us the option in settings as to which (if any) screen we want to automatically appear.
I find this incredibly annoying. We already know we are close to something - that is after all why the car is emitting an audible beep. So I also don't get why it keeps switching you back to the sensor screen when trying to open the camera view
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 12:58   #45
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
I find this incredibly annoying. We already know we are close to something - that is after all why the car is emitting an audible beep. So I also don't get why it keeps switching you back to the sensor screen when trying to open the camera view
It is very poor. 90% of the occasions during which I want the 360 camera are when I'm close to something and the sensors have come on, and its so difficult to activate it, meaning I end up not using the 360 camera anywhere near as much as I would like. Just a preference to use 360 camera with the over-layed sensor images, or even just a simple button to toggle the 360 camera when the sensors are showing is all it would take.

There was a huge thread on this on the old Volvo support forums before they went offline last year, but still Volvo have done nothing about it.

I don't have the new look Sensus released in June, but as the camera screen has been redesigned I wonder if this issue is resolved, anyone?

:wq
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 22:09   #46
philsuarez

Default Rear camera

I have ordered my XC90 on a lease and decided to go with the rear camera only. My current car is a Nissan Leaf with no sensors just 360 view and I have to say really missed sensors. I reversed into a pole once causing no damage but it was very difficult to see on camera but would have been picked up by sensor. May have gone for 360 if it did not also need to have BLIS. This bumped my leasing cost up considerably.
philsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 07:56   #47
gaby
Premier Member

My car has all the sensors, cameras, 360° view. Sometimes the camera(s) are more useful,
sometimes the sensors, it depends on the specific situation. I now park in spaces where I
wouldn't try to park without them. So I find all these features very helpful, but I have driven
cars for more than 40 years without them and never had any damage because of it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 20:11   #48
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
It is very poor. 90% of the occasions during which I want the 360 camera are when I'm close to something and the sensors have come on, and its so difficult to activate it, meaning I end up not using the 360 camera anywhere near as much as I would like. Just a preference to use 360 camera with the over-layed sensor images, or even just a simple button to toggle the 360 camera when the sensors are showing is all it would take.

There was a huge thread on this on the old Volvo support forums before they went offline last year, but still Volvo have done nothing about it.

I don't have the new look Sensus released in June, but as the camera screen has been redesigned I wonder if this issue is resolved, anyone?

:wq
Bugs the sh#t out of me too and no, the June update doesnt seem to have changed it at all. I now try and trigger the camera manually before I get close to anything. So every morning in work I trigger the camera when i come through the gate so that it is ready when i get to my parking space. On a plus note it makes sure I dont exceed 10mph site limit as above that speed the camera goes off 360 view.....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote