Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather quality

Views : 17983

Replies : 178

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 07:23   #41
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konst View Post
good news. I hope the seat base is now made on better leather quality , even if its looks the same.
Yes, I am thinking that too that the leather is probably better and the stitching may help.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 20:04   #42
dazza1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Yes, I am thinking that too that the leather is probably better and the stitching may help.
We had both of our front seat bases replaced on our T8 at 6,000 miles. They were both shot to pieces and looked worse then my wife's BMW X5 that has done 100,000 miles.
The replacements have now covered 800 miles and are no better and look dreadful, the leather is creased and loose. The dealer is now waiting for feedback from Volvo, as I pointed out to him you wouldn't expect this on a car costing 20k let alone 78k!
dazza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 20:17   #43
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza1 View Post
We had both of our front seat bases replaced on our T8 at 6,000 miles. They were both shot to pieces and looked worse then my wife's BMW X5 that has done 100,000 miles.
The replacements have now covered 800 miles and are no better and look dreadful, the leather is creased and loose. The dealer is now waiting for feedback from Volvo, as I pointed out to him you wouldn't expect this on a car costing 20k let alone 78k!
That is a concern then, unless they have changed something since yours were done.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 08:43   #44
neon
Premier Member

This is my drivers seat base that was replaced at 2500 miles, now at 6200 miles and 7 months and the leather is peeling. I am very careful with the interior of my cars and do not wear any trousers with zips or anything that could scratch the leather. I am also being a lot more careful getting in and out of the car than I should have to.
I have been in touch with the dealer and Volvo UK and have requested a more permanent solution as the current sports contour seats are "not fit for purpose" and I do not want to be having these replaced every few months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000 (5).jpg (45.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg File_000 (6).jpg (44.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg File_000 (8).jpg (39.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by neon; Apr 30th, 2017 at 08:46.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 09:07   #45
Whippy
Premier Member

That's not acceptable. I have leather in my Audi and after 40k and four years it's still perfect. I have to say, I came here to form an opinion in order to make a decision as to my next new car purchase and what I'm reading (leather, batteries, sensus) has I'm afraid rather put me off Volvo. Hope they resolve this for you.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 09:26   #46
AB-UK
Premier Member

Photo 6 - is that a trick of the light or are the two parts of the seat different colours?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:31   #47
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
This is my drivers seat base that was replaced at 2500 miles, now at 6200 miles and 7 months and the leather is peeling. I am very careful with the interior of my cars and do not wear any trousers with zips or anything that could scratch the leather. I am also being a lot more careful getting in and out of the car than I should have to.
I have been in touch with the dealer and Volvo UK and have requested a more permanent solution as the current sports contour seats are "not fit for purpose" and I do not want to be having these replaced every few months.
Nice stitching.

Fuzzy leather. [Focussing issue!]

Why not let the leather wear for a few more months to see how it develops. Soft leather like Nappa is naturally more prone to wear than tougher, thicker, more highly chromed leather unfortunately.

I'm not saying that these are good enough, but not sure as to how the wear would develop and look after a bit more time. There is time to let it develop while under warranty. Fairly sure that the standard leather on Momentum models is likely to be more hard wearing and durable.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 13:35   #48
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Photo 6 - is that a trick of the light or are the two parts of the seat different colours?
Trick of the light as the colour matching is spot on.
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 13:37   #49
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Nice stitching.

Fuzzy leather. [Focussing issue!]

Why not let the leather wear for a few more months to see how it develops. Soft leather like Nappa is naturally more prone to wear than tougher, thicker, more highly chromed leather unfortunately.

I'm not saying that these are good enough, but not sure as to how the wear would develop and look after a bit more time. There is time to let it develop while under warranty. Fairly sure that the standard leather on Momentum models is likely to be more hard wearing and durable.
Will not be leaving it a few months as to me leather peeling will not improve over time, only get worse.
Never seen this before on my previous cars after many years and many miles. Something that looks nice on the surface is not much good if it is not fit for purpose and durable. Fur coat and no knickers as my wife would say.

Last edited by neon; Apr 30th, 2017 at 13:40.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 13:58   #50
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Fur coat and no knickers
The difference is that that's acceptable in certain circumstances whereas cheap and nasty leather is always unacceptable.