Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Bulb Replacement 01-04 S40/V40

Views : 117994

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:17   #41
DC6839
Goldwing Rider

Have you tested each bulb individually, using a 12v battery ? If one is shorted then I doubt the others will work. Bit a pain, but then it could have been the heater panel !
Even more Radio Controlled Model Aeroplanes
DC6839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 20:34   #42
rexer12
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanhireBoys View Post
Hi Guys
Dont know if this has been covered before... I done a wee job today and its the wee jobs that make the difference... My V40 Dash was looking rather dark and I had to feel about to try and operate any thing. This is the trait of a car with big miles it seems...

Well first of all you need 3 of each of these... FRF Simon got this sorted.. Top Man..!
These are the Heater panel bulbs

Tools:
Torx bit driver , Phillips screwdriver, Medium plain flat driver,
First of all set all the controls to the left horizontal position

Then remove the knobs.. Pull straight out - give them a bit of a wiggle

Then put a blunt screwdriver (I used a screwdriver with a piece of tape on the end so as not to damage the trim) into the left of the panel and prize out. Work your way left to right until it comes off.. Take it nice and steady.

This exposes the 4 mounting screws.

Push the unit back and turn the unit in tword the left of the dash. Remove both wiring harness plugs.

Keep gentle pressure top and bottom so that the locating tab on top of the unit clears the bottom of th events and the unit can be taken out

Remove the 4 torx screws and release the tabs on th eback of the unit. This dosent really have to be done but its handier for access to the bulbs

As Haynes say refit is the reverse of removal.. Its a bit of a mare to line up the panel once its all installed. There is a slot at the bottom of the vents that the tab must fit into. start by putting the unit on in to the left and then put the plugs back in. Then work on the alignment of the screws.

The lightswitch is an easier task.
You need 3 of these

Then take out these 2 screws and pull the unit down and out to release the vent in the dash. Release the wiring plug

Heres the 3 bulbs..

Heres the old ones

Its handy enough to put back in. Line up with the vent and push home until it snaps into place. Then put the 2 bottom screws back in...

Job done... All in all it took me an hour or so but its well worth doing rather than putting in the interior light all the time....!
This forum is great this is just what i needed as my head light pannel isnt lighting up, and also i have 2 out of the 3 heater control not lighting up.great post
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 17:27   #43
rexer12
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin298 View Post
Idont know what bulbs you need for the heater panel on a phase 2 but i have just replaced the 3 bulbs behind the head light switch/airduct the bulbs you need are.

RING AUTOMTIVE No R509TDBK

OR

LUCAS AUTOMOTIVE No LLB286TFB1

Don't forget to keep the blue rubber cap of the old bulb to put on the new one.the bulbs can be viewed on the company's websites and the lucas bulbs cost me 94p each including vat,a big saving over volvo prices.When one of the heater bulbs blow i will try and cross match that one.it would be nice if there was a data base on here for the phase 2 volvo bulbs.
orderd 3 bulbs for the light switch, at £1.03 each its a lot cheaper than buying from volvo.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 00:10   #44
rexer12
Premier Member

bulbs arrived today got them fitted tonight and it looks a hell of a lot better, exept 1 of the three bulbs isnt working so contacted the suplier, but the light pannel is lit up so at least i can see, when using the light switch at night
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 05:35   #45
kes1907

Wow I didnt know either that the headlight pannel was supposed to light up! AND my heater pannel is yellow rather than blue/green. Its funny I was only thinking yesterday I wish it would match the rest of the lights........Brilliant. Thanks OP will sort mine ASAP now.
kes1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 16:22   #46
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Well surprise surprise I noticed one of mine had blow and instantly this thread is bumped. WHOOP!

Thanks OP!

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 14:34   #47
rexer12
Premier Member

just been on to my local volvo dealer for the heater panel bulbs, £7.98 with vat, so they will stay dark for a while.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 14:37   #48
leowyatt

I just bought a set of 3 from Rufe for £5.54 each + postage.
leowyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 16:52   #49
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitysurfer View Post
I did mine over the Xmas break.

I changed all three as only thefan control was lit and was a bit orangey. However either one bulb was faulty or I damaged it when fitting (and it was a tight fit) as only two light up and yes it's the fan control that doesn't light up!

Of the three areas the fan control is the least important IMHO.

I also tried to do the info centre bulbs but mine isn't the same as noted On a link, as mine has two bulbs which are small are and probably available from a motor factor.

A job for Easter me thinks...
Hi all

I've been attempting to change the bulbs in my Info Center so its all lit up like the rest. First port of call was FRF and the conversation went something like this -

Quote:
"Hello FRF Swansea"
"Hi can order the bulbs for the info center on a 2001 V40 please"
"Yes but they changed in 2001 so will need to determine if you have the blue or the white bulbs"
"Well the rest of the car uses blue bulbs that light up green so it'll be the blue one"
"ok, ordered be with you soon"
So the bulb finally arrives and I go to change it but theres a problem, its far bigger than the ones Ive got and I also have 2 instead of one. I finally ring FRF back to discuss the problem with them.

Quote:
"Hello FRF Swansea"
"Hi ordered some bulbs for my Info Center on a 2001 V40, I was told there was 2 types and it changed in 2001. Because I'm a complete numpty I ordered the wrong one and was wondering if I could return it and get the correct bulb this time. I also need both bulbs not just 1."
"Yeah you can return the bulb, that shouldn't be a problem, I'll just order the other one for you now....
.....err are you sure you need two bulbs as the system only shows it as having one."
" Yeah theres definately 2 bulbs in there"
"Ok I'll send you two of the others"
"Cheers"
So the new bulbs arrive and these are wrong as well. Back onto the phone to FRF

Quote:
"Hello FRF Swansea"
"Hi yeah, I ordered some bulbs for a 2001 V40 for the info center, you sent one type which were wrong and now the replacements are wrong as well."
"Ah, thats strange........."
So what happened was a long conversation between myself and FRF to try and establish if we could source the right bulbs. Doing it other the phone wasn't easy but another 2 bulbs were dispatced to me only to be wrong again.

This time I sent back one of my original bulbs with the two new wrong items and so far have had numerous phone calls from FRF. It appears that Volvo don't sell the bulbs I need for some strange reason but having gone through exhaustive fact finding they have found bulbs from an 850 that will fit but may not give me the green glow as the rest of the car. These should arrive next week and I will try them to see how they are.

I must say a back thanks to Jeff at FRF Swansea who has dealt with me from start to ..... well I hope it will come to some conclusion soon but who knows. The effort he has put in in trying to find me the right parts just shows what a fantastic team they have down there.

I will update the thread next week and wether we have success or not.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 19:44   #50
leowyatt

That is very odd that you have different bulbs. I ordered a set from FRF a couple of weeks ago and they arrived and fitted fine. The old ones were a bit of a struggle to get out but it all worked out in the end.
leowyatt is offline   Reply With Quote