Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inlet manifold removal and oil seperator/pcv hose replacement

Views : 26744

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:30   #41
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy chu1 View Post
My Car is 1998 so this whole procedure applies, I will plan this in the next few weeks.

If I want to go the samco way, whats the internal mm hose sizes I might need. I have plenty of 4mm in the garage but do I need other sizes?

Roy
there is a lot of discussion re the diameter of the vacuum pipes, some say 4 some five and i have even read some saying six mm
i used 4mm on all my bcs pipes and my recirc/inlet and have had no problems..
keep the pipes as short as possable too...
cheers
jod
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 09:24   #42
carswaps

Inlet manifold gasket part number is 9146266
carswaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:45   #43
bigV

Sorry to be a complete retard here.

However, my engine serial numbers seem to be in no way related to the ones on that website? I have, B5234T, 6821571 and 567745?

Also, I am wondering where do I actually buy the parts once I have the correct part numbers? Does it have to be a volvo dealership? Or is there a website I can order through online?
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:24   #44
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I think thats a T5 engine number. I notice that you have 2.5 on your signature. Is this the case??
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:50   #45
bigV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
I think thats a T5 engine number. I notice that you have 2.5 on your signature. Is this the case??
I have a T5 now. used to have a 2.5.

I'm desperately searching for somewhere ot buy these parts now
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:39   #46
Psychobiker

airbox and intercooler piping etc are all out, just getting the manifold bolts off now. Really good guide!! Find it easy to remove the vac tree too to gain access to the rightmost bolt

L
Psychobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 14:35   #47
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post
I have a T5 now. used to have a 2.5.

I'm desperately searching for somewhere ot buy these parts now
use the groton link in the op for the part numbers and but them from your local volvo dealer or call wayne at marshalls on 01664 562556 , i expect he will do mail order for you.....
cheers
jod
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 13:29   #48
easyboy1978

Default stiil smoking????

howdy all,
ive done what the pictures described but i still have smoke coming out of the exhaust ive got a 120000 miler 850 t5 r and hoping to get it up on the road soon,any other things i coould try to stop the smoke?
james
easyboy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:20   #49
dmkelly

Hi Guys

I have come to the conclusion, having done everything else, that the vacuum pipes need attention on my ’98 V70 2.5t to cure the ‘hesitation’ at 2,000 – 3,500 revs. . But I need some advice before I start.

The one on the offside that you can just see behind the inlet manifold next to the power steering pump, is this connected to the inlet manifold?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Picture134.jpg

I assume it is the one shown here? If so what does it do?

Is it part of the crank case ventilation? If so where does it go?

As for all the parts do I need Volvo parts or can I use elbows from any source? I have found these guy’s on ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Perfor...Q3amesstQQtZkm What size do I need? It seems everyone here is saying 4mm?

Is it advisable on a 10-year-old car with less than 80k on the clock to replace the oil separator?

Many thanks in advance. DK
dmkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:46   #50
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkelly View Post
Hi Guys

I have come to the conclusion, having done everything else, that the vacuum pipes need attention on my ’98 V70 2.5t to cure the ‘hesitation’ at 2,000 – 3,500 revs. . But I need some advice before I start.

The one on the offside that you can just see behind the inlet manifold next to the power steering pump, is this connected to the inlet manifold?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Picture134.jpg

I assume it is the one shown here? If so what does it do?

Is it part of the crank case ventilation? If so where does it go?

As for all the parts do I need Volvo parts or can I use elbows from any source? I have found these guy’s on ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Auto-Perfor...Q3amesstQQtZkm What size do I need? It seems everyone here is saying 4mm?

Is it advisable on a 10-year-old car with less than 80k on the clock to replace the oil separator?

Many thanks in advance. DK
the pipe, i think you are refering to is attached by a rubber elbow to the inlet manifold, the pipe goes around the back of the inlet manifold and attaches to the pcv heater on the air inlet trunking just before the turbo-charger......
the elbow at the inlet end if very well known for splitting and is difficult to get to with the manifold on but not impossible
im sorry but im not familiar with your model so i am unsure if your set up is the same as mine but on the basis it is i would try two things before i have the manifold off
1) spray the elbow with wd40 and see if this makes a temporary fix
2) rig up a new piece of hose long enough to reach from the inlet to the pcv heater, you can run it under the fuel rail cover as shown below....

this method will ensure you can at least eliminate this as your problem....a couple of tips for doing the inlet elbow are
fix the pipe to the elbow first
remove thermostat hose and bung hoe, this allows much better visability
dont use the volvo elbow clip, it will take forever to get it on, when the elbow is in place it can be secured with a cable tie.....
heat the elbow in boiling water moments before you use your long nosed pliers to put it on, it will expand when hot and retain its origional shape when cooled.....
if you remove the inlet manifold then i would replace the seperator catch tank, yes
i have found 4mm samco to be about right for most small bore vacuum hose replacement but opinion differs...
cheers
jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:59.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote