Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Police got me - all on tape

Views : 12542

Replies : 147

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:55   #41
Cheradenine

Personally, I'm not likely to try winter tyres at the minute, though I do try to encourage my parents to do so.

Think it's a matter of horses for courses; I'm in Bristol, everything is in walking distance if I must, and it doesn't stay that far below the magic 7 deg C for that long so the cost is a disincentive (even £200 is a significant portion of the car's value) plus the inconvenience of changing the tyres when the temp is going to stay over 7 degrees.

Whereas my parents are in Monmouth which is perennially cold and wet and, aside from the A449, only linked by country roads, so there's more of a case to be made.
Cheradenine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheradenine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:56   #42
Bill_56
Premier Member

We live at the end of a long unadopted lane, with several steep hills. It ends at a small slope where you join a main A toad. After the heavy snowfall of 2009 many of us became stranded, so I bought winter tyres which solved the problem. Others in the lane have bought 4x4s, which is a hugely more expensive approach, and unlikely to be effective unless they also buy winter tyres.

But I watched one of the 4x4s (without winter tyres I'm guessing) emerge from the lane yesterday. He had no trouble with the hill where he joined the A road, kept going but at a slow speed, straight onto the main road, where he hit the compacted snow and span right across and onto the pavement.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:56   #43
jepho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian7675 View Post
I don't think he has missed the point at all, you can have the greatest tyres and driver aids in the world but if you don't have the skill and knowledge for driving in snow then ultimately a driver will still get stuck.
Isn't that rather stating the obvious? News at 10:00 - Dumb drivers do dumb things.

It is clear that winter tyre technology will be helpful to most drivers, regardless of their skill level.

Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:59   #44
WillV70D5

I have never tried winter tyres, but I can see the obvious benefits and may give them a go at some stage. I'm not arguing against them or saying they're not a good idea.

However, I do think the way they are justified by the "anything under 7 degrees" line is a bit weak. Great in the snow I'm sure, and I obviously have experience of limited grip on normal tyres when it's snowy. But I also have never once thought that I didn't have enough grip in cold weather (below 7 degrees) when on normal tyres. Never. Surely if you're hooning around that much you need to slow down. A good driver automatically adjust their driving style for the conditions without even being aware of the need to do so.

I think the 7 degrees thing is justification for having to lay out for an additioal set of tyres that will hardly ever get used.

So to me, they really only would be of use for a couple of days a year.
WillV70D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:01   #45
m0bzy
Master Member

We went through this discussion last winter I think,I was sceptical then as I am now.A neighbour with an elderly V70 fitted winter tyres last autumn,at not inconsiderable cost ie: four steel wheels and then the covers.I knew he was out in yesterdays snow,so when I met him this morning I asked how the the car performed on the new tyres.I was surprised to be told that the winter tyres were history and he was back on summers,the winters were so low on tread after 8000 miles he had swapped back before the snow.His motoring is mostly motorway,could the higher speed/heat cause the demise of the winter tires?
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:01   #46
WillV70D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Isn't that rather stating the obvious? News at 10:00 - Dumb drivers do dumb things.

It is clear that winter tyre technology will be helpful to most drivers, regardless of their skill level.

That could also be seen as stating the obvious.

It could also be said that more driving skill and better judgement would be helpful to all drivers, regardless of their tyres.

It's all about the angle you approach the subject from.

WillV70D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillV70D5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:28   #47
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have used mainly winter tyres on my V70 for five or six years because they cost less as they are mainly cast offs from rich Germans which sell for around £25 each for a 225/45/17 . There is a whole backstreet industry developed over the past ten years in the UK of importing used winter tyres from Germany , just shows the Germans must have loads of spare cash when they can waste so much but then maybe they are not that daft as we are left with the problem of getting rid of the tyre when its finally worn out .

They do work better in the ice and snow than normal tyres , my V70 is useless with normal tyres in the snow when compared even with a fiesta fitted with normal tyres but with winter tyres it can just about make it up a steep local hill which it would not do with normal tyres . The winter tyres seem to wear out a lot quicker than normal tyres and if the tracking is even slightly out they can wear out in less than 1000 miles and have had this happen a quite a few times so I am careful to make sure there is at least 5 to 6mm tread when I buy them .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:53   #48
ian7675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post

Firstly you pointed out we were missing the point and by making our point we are now stating the obvious which you've quite clearly pointed out by....stating the obvious. I don't understand what you're trying to achieve.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 13:41   #49
Rustee
Rustee

Interesting read on tyre sipes here:

http://www.tirereview.com/article/85..._traction.aspx
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 14:12   #50
Volvo6
Master Member

Interesting article. If one looks at tyres in general in the US the use of siping on just ordinary summer tyres is much more common. In Europe though the fashion these days seems to be to have almost no sipes at all for performance tyres.

I mean look at tyres like the Continental SportContact5s or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 they have no siping on them at all...just very wide channels to get water out. Now they are fantastic tyres and the SportContact is great on the V50; you can get levels of wet and try grip on a good road surface that previous tyres could only dream of. They make the car feel hard and sporty...if you like that sort of thing and give very good road feedback. However they are rubbish in snow. Their large uninterrupted areas of rubber just slide over the surface of ice.