Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2nd Year Service - Ouch!!

Views : 13978

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 21:04   #41
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Now I am confused. I attach a copy of my service plan conditions (received 21st July 2015). Probably the same as yours. However, I have searched through years 1 to 5 of the XC60 '2015' service price indicator and the service actions at each time point, and nowhere can I see brake fluid change mentioned. I thought this was done every 2 years. So where do I (we ?) stand on this. Put simply, brake fluid is not mentioned, full stop. Does it come into the grey area of:
What is not covered?
Anything not included within the official Volvo scheduled servicing for your vehicle, for example, any extra maintenance work or adjustments.

On another related matter, what is the 'sealant kit' which may or may not need replacing ? This could be another grey area.
One of the challenges of getting older is that we remember how things used to be, or how we think that they were and forget that technology advances at a faster pace than we do.

Several years ago when studying Vehicle Design and Engineering we tested fluids and brake fluid was one that degraded quickly, together with the seals in the systems. Advances in fluid technology means that what I learned those years ago is no longer valid and I accept that whilst we may think it is required to change it, and it may be good practice, the fact is that you no longer need to change it therefore Volvo won't change it - unless you ask and pay for it

Progress, where would we be without it?

Last edited by wimorrison; Sep 22nd, 2015 at 21:15. Reason: System attributed quote to wrong person - now fixed
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 21:07   #42
NigelDay
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Ninja59;1984320][QUOTE=RoyMacDonald;1984246]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post

I have a feeling it was added as a result of people managing to get away with it for free somehow as the brake fluid change is an easy money spinner.
If I do get charged for the brake fluid change, VUK can expect a formal complaint for mis-selling, the grounds for which would be it was not made clear when I purchased the 'service plan' that some items quite obviously (and traditionally) part of a service are not included. Put another way, oil changes are included, but brake fluid changes are not (if I am unlucky). I remain suspicious that brake fluid changes appear nowhere in the service price indicator pages. I'll wait to see what happens, but I am sure this Forum will be a good place to get data on other drivers' experiences.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 00:12   #43
Fellwalker

On the Volvo web site service price indicator http://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/main...rice-indicator, there is a pop up showing what is included. To me, this basically says your printed booklet is what matters, and they don't intend actually doing much at all, just checking. .

Nothing about brake fluid.

Note topping up washer fluid is INCLUDED!

Quote:
Service Actions Volvo Genuine Service

This is done at every service:

Change engine oil
Change oil filter
Change cabin air filter
Software update
Read-out fault codes
Top up washer fluid
External car wash
Check seat belts
Check battery
Check wiper blades
Check tyre pressure
Check tyre condition
Check coolant system and anti freeze degree
Check for engine oil leaks
Check for transmission oil leaks
Check steering & front suspension
Check driveshaft joints & gaiters
Check propshaft joints
Check condition of brake/fuel lines & hoses
Check brake pads & discs
Check handbrake cables & linkages
Check brake hydraulic system
Check and top up engine compartment fluids
Reset service reminder indication

In addition, the following actions are performed at specified service intervals:

Change spark plugs
Change air filter
Change auxiliary drive belt & apply decal
Change fuel filter
Change timing belt & apply decal
Check rear endsprings
Check sealant kit
European Emissions legislation is becoming progressively more stringent with regard to the level of emissions which vehicles are permitted to give off. Many diesel engines now require the addition of a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to the exhasut system. Any filter has a finite capacity and an overfilled/blocked DPF not only will emit excessive emissions but can damage the engine through excessive exhaust back pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to Fellwalker For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 23:14   #44
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

[QUOTE=NigelDay;1984301][QUOTE=RoyMacDonald;1984246]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Now I am confused. I attach a copy of my service plan conditions (received 21st July 2015). Probably the same as yours. However, I have searched through years 1 to 5 of the XC60 '2015' service price indicator and the service actions at each time point, and nowhere can I see brake fluid change mentioned. I thought this was done every 2 years. So where do I (we ?) stand on this. Put simply, brake fluid is not mentioned, full stop. Does it come into the grey area of:
What is not covered?
Anything not included within the official Volvo scheduled servicing for your vehicle, for example, any extra maintenance work or adjustments.

On another related matter, what is the 'sealant kit' which may or may not need replacing ? This could be another grey area.
Yes ,my conditions are the same as yours.

The brake fluid is tested every year now by most garages and changed when it is outside the specified contamination level. All part of checking the brakes. Clan can properly tell you what is on the service sheet for the brakes. The hand book, page 410 , says check every year and change every two years. My Main Dealer assured me it was included. Fluid cost won't be that great anyway.

I have the spare tyre so I never queried the if the sealant kit was included.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 07:31   #45
NigelDay
Premier Member

[QUOTE=RoyMacDonald;1984960][QUOTE=NigelDay;1984301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I have the spare tyre so I never queried the if the sealant kit was included.
Now I know what the sealant kit is ! Foreign to me also as I have a spare tyre !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Sep 24th, 2015 at 07:31. Reason: Edit
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:49   #46
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The brake fluid is tested every year now by most garages and changed when it is outside the specified contamination level. All part of checking the brakes.
I guess this depends on where they get the fluid from to test.
There wil be less contamination in a reservoir at the back of the engine bay than there is in the lines and caliper. Of course it's a sealed system but if contamination is going to get in it will be at the extremes of the system via the rubber hoses or rubber seals in the calipers rather than the plastic cap in the engine bay.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 19:48   #47
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
That's paid for your Saturday or Sunday newspaper maybe. I think that works out at about £1/week you've saved sourcing and carting your own oil around.
I wonder how long before the dealers catch on to this and start giving you the old oil back to recycle.
you are probably charged a small fee for getting rid of the old oil already and "consumables" used on the job .. ..
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 19:52   #48
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
With my previous car, I paid for 3 years servicing, then extended by a further two, and found that only the service items in the book were covered (a few checks and an oil change), and mandatory replacements weren't. The garage also tried to include a spare bottle of oil, and top up the washer bottles. I declined to pay and these were removed from the bill. I was also pressured to have but rejected a "recommended" clean and recharge of the air conditioning unit at 2 years and every subsequent time. I rang the manufacturer to confirm this was only recommended by the garage not them. The service manager then tried to say it was an over zealous receptionist just wanting to protect me by suggesting ("we don't recommend, sir") the AC work.

I am interested in whether my Volvo 5 year deal will include the timing belt and automatic gearbox oil change which are usually at 4 years.

Main agents have to have ridiculously specified and expensive showrooms and workshops to manufacturers standards, and they have to pay for them somehow.
It should cover timing belt ( 108000 miles / 10 years ) It would be interesting to see what happens if you get to 108000 miles in the 3 or 5 years of the contract .. It won't cover automatic gearbox oil as that is an Additional item to a service , as is brake fluid .. not included ..
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 20:06   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I guess this depends on where they get the fluid from to test.
There wil be less contamination in a reservoir at the back of the engine bay than there is in the lines and caliper. Of course it's a sealed system but if contamination is going to get in it will be at the extremes of the system via the rubber hoses or rubber seals in the calipers rather than the plastic cap in the engine bay.
I would say differently there as the brake fluid rarely stays a nice lemon colour for long in the reservoir after a fluid change , it darkens after a year .. probably specks of rubber from the master cylinder seals directly below .. Another point , when the fluid is changed , i cant see how the considerable amount of fluid in the caliper is changed , the fluid goes in at the top and about 1/2 inch across the TOP of the fluid and back out the bleed nipple, the rest of the fluid in the Caliper will remain as before . It would help considerably if the pistons in the calipers were pressed fully in before a low pressure bleed though , but this never happens .
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 20:21   #50
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It should cover timing belt ( 108000 miles / 10 years ) It would be interesting to see what happens if you get to 108000 miles in the 3 or 5 years of the contract .. It won't cover automatic gearbox oil as that is an Additional item to a service , as is brake fluid .. not included ..
The 5 year service contract is for 5 services or up to 90k miles (ie, 18k per year), so you will never reach 108k within the terms of the contract.