Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My poor XC90 and its run in with a bus

Views : 4536

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 22:47   #41
soupytwister
Master Member

I've used the body shop he's going to before and they did the job. They run a Ferrari racing team, they do the body repairs for Aston Martin, Bentley, and Rolls Royce in the area - who are all from the same dealership that Torkigare has bought his XC90 from.

I would hope he's in safe hands....it's certainly no back street outfit

Torkigare - given Murray have the Aston, Bentley, and Rolls franchises in the area, you could always allay your concerns by having a word with their service departments and sussing out their view on the bodyshop
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 23:03   #42
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
You dont have to use the accident management company. You dont need to use the repairer that the bus companys insurance company want you to use. It is all your call. Pick your repairer. Pick a Volvo approved bodyshop and they will know what they are doing.

Do not allow your car to be repaired by any bodyshop other than a Volvo approved one. You need to maintain your warranty and integrity of the vehicle.

Just my 2 penneth....
You're absolute right... and I am; the body shop is the approved Volvo body shop for around here. The official Volvo dealership called me after Volvo head office alerted them to my accident, and they assured me that the repairer to which Volvo Insurance had sent the car are really good and fully approved etc etc. So I'm probably worried over nothing, and there's nothing I would have done differently or used any different garage / body workshop to repair the car. Having said all that, of course, it doesn't stop the niggling doubts I have that things just aren't going to be quite as good as they were before the accident...
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 23:07   #43
Torkrigare

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I've used the body shop he's going to before and they did the job. They run a Ferrari racing team, they do the body repairs for Aston Martin, Bentley, and Rolls Royce in the area - who are all from the same dealership that Torkigare has bought his XC90 from.

I would hope he's in safe hands....it's certainly no back street outfit

Torkigare - given Murray have the Aston, Bentley, and Rolls franchises in the area, you could always allay your concerns by having a word with their service departments and sussing out their view on the bodyshop
Cheers mate. My head tells me it's in the best hands it could be. As I mentioned in my post just above, the guys at Murray have already been in touch; twice - firstly to check I was ok (nice touch) and then to let me know that the garage it's been sent to is a good outfit that they use all the time...
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 00:54   #44
Quacker
Premier Member

Pretty sure that had you used Volvo On Call in the first instance they would have managed the accident, recovery and the insurance repair on your behalf in concert with your insurance company, negotiating with the guilty party . The other party's insurance company is working on behalf of itself. Not you and not the bus company's either.
The garage that the other party's insurance works for is, well, working to save as much cost as possible for its employer.

Yes, a Volvo approved bodyshop is the ideal repairer for your car.

However, that is not to say that the one it is currently at is anything but excellent. There's no absolute guarantee that a Volvo approved one is any good either.

Top tip….. Don't sign the work off as being satisfactory and completed until you have taken plenty of time to inspect the job in detail, including all the alignments, electrics, camera, BLIS, sensors and every possible thing you can think of. Don't leave the thinking to the last moment and sign it off to find some system not working a week later, because it will be a devil of a job to get them to rectify it then.
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 00:55   #45
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkrigare View Post
Cheers mate. My head tells me it's in the best hands it could be. As I mentioned in my post just above, the guys at Murray have already been in touch; twice - firstly to check I was ok (nice touch) and then to let me know that the garage it's been sent to is a good outfit that they use all the time...
That sounds very promising indeed.
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 07:54   #46
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkrigare View Post
You're absolute right... and I am; the body shop is the approved Volvo body shop for around here. The official Volvo dealership called me after Volvo head office alerted them to my accident, and they assured me that the repairer to which Volvo Insurance had sent the car are really good and fully approved etc etc. So I'm probably worried over nothing, and there's nothing I would have done differently or used any different garage / body workshop to repair the car. Having said all that, of course, it doesn't stop the niggling doubts I have that things just aren't going to be quite as good as they were before the accident...
Good. Sounds like you are in safe hands. You just had me worried for a moment.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 09:38   #47
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
This is purely supposition on my part but as the bumper is plastic and therefore transparent to microwave radar, it may be the same bumper that's fitted regardless of whether BLIS is installed or not. Also, the radar units may be attached to the car frame rather than the bumper itself. If so, there could be a gap between the bumper and the radar unit which would minimise potential damage.
Interestingly if there is any damage to a bumper on a car equiped with BLIS then the bumper must be replaced and cannot be repaired. Well that is the guidance of Volvo anyway. The thinking is that any filler can stop BLIS from working properly. In fact I am sure the bodyshop told me that there was a chance that thick paint could also affect the BLIS. Perhaps this explains why bumpers are supplied pre painted.

I know this as we had an S60 at work which had very very minor rear quarter damage from an HGV trailer when turning. There was a 6inch minor dent and scratch on the rear wing and then surface scratching and minor indentation to the side of the bumper. The job came to about 1500 quid plus VAT of which over 520 quid was the brand new bumper supplied from Volvo......
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Jun 24th, 2017 at 09:39. Reason: Typo
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 10:04   #48
Lexman8
Premier Member

It'll be interesting to see how insurance premiums move over the next few years as more cars get this sophisticated tech. The cost of repairs could rise substantially but perhaps this will be offset by fewer accidents in the first place.
Old Jun 24th, 2017, 10:14   #49
Jcbrown

Costs do look to be increasing: https://boughtbymany.com/news/articl...nsurance-cost/
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 10:35   #50
Torkrigare

Just a quick update on the repairs to my XC90 for anyone interested...

It has now been a month since the accident and the car's still at the repairers. I have had various promises of imminent completion but so far each time there have been reasons for further delay.

The latest came yesterday when, again, I was expecting a call to say the car's ready. Instead, I learned that the repairers discovered that the handle / camera unit (I presume for the 360' camera function) is not part of the standard tail gate part and needs to be ordered separately. Unfortunately Volvo are out of stock of the part required; it's on back order with no date for when the part will become available.

So it's looking increasingly like it will be weeks if not months more to wait before I get my car back. So frustrated about it. I will certainly be avoiding Stagecoach buses for the foreseeable future!