Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 899011

Replies : 6504

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2023, 08:28   #5121
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
OI! Steve940!
145 correct indicators Poole £1000
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i.../?locale=en_GB
Steve that’s worth a punt if you’re wanting a project. It looks like it’s pretty much all there. She’s a big project but get her stripped, media blast the bottom half, stick her on a rotisserie and get welding. There will be plenty of welding but nothing difficult, just lots.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 08:30   #5122
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I think he knows what it’s worth Alan, less than he wants!
You are probably right Andrew, he doesn't seem to sell anything cheap.

I'm still just a little surprised that 240 only got to £5,400 - if it really is a 'show car' as the seller describes it. That is why I'm thinking that maybe the top of the market has moved down a bit from 6 grand?

Old Jun 10th, 2023, 08:51   #5123
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Steve that’s worth a punt if you’re wanting a project. It looks like it’s pretty much all there. She’s a big project but get her stripped, media blast the bottom half, stick her on a rotisserie and get welding. There will be plenty of welding but nothing difficult, just lots.
Mitch is right Steve, but the problem (as always) is it won't be worth it unless you particularly want to do the work as a hobby.

I haven't seen the motorcar of course, but at a grand I assume it is pretty rough. A full restoration like Mitch is describing will cost you 20 grand and take 2 years of your life (assuming you do all but the painting yourself), and then you end up with a motor that lacks the provenance of (say) the 1976 VWW that is struggling to sell at £12,500 (see the post by Chris1Roll above).

It is almost always much cheaper to buy a better motorcar (or motorcycle) in the first place.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 10th, 2023 at 08:54.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 10:18   #5124
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Mitch is right Steve, but the problem (as always) is it won't be worth it unless you particularly want to do the work as a hobby.

I haven't seen the motorcar of course, but at a grand I assume it is pretty rough. A full restoration like Mitch is describing will cost you 20 grand and take 2 years of your life (assuming you do all but the painting yourself), and then you end up with a motor that lacks the provenance of (say) the 1976 VWW that is struggling to sell at £12,500 (see the post by Chris1Roll above).

It is almost always much cheaper to buy a better motorcar (or motorcycle) in the first place.

I tell people to budget 1000 hours for a full resto and another 1000 if you want concourse. That’s a lot of weekends and evenings but if retired a project is a good idea and a great hobby. But also great to have a nice classic that’s on the road. I plan to retire at 55 and will certainly spend many hours in my workshop working on projects. A mate and I have some car projects we’re doing which I hope to spend more time doing when retired.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 10:29   #5125
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I tell people to budget 1000 hours for a full resto and another 1000 if you want concourse. That’s a lot of weekends and evenings but if retired a project is a good idea and a great hobby. But also great to have a nice classic that’s on the road. I plan to retire at 55 and will certainly spend many hours in my workshop working on projects. A mate and I have some car projects we’re doing which I hope to spend more time doing when retired.
I think you are spot on with those estimates Mitch - most folk don't appreciate how long things take, particularly when they might be acquiring the skills they need as they go along.

I retired when I was 53; even 9 years later I can't understand how I had time to hold down regular employment.

Alan
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 12:12   #5126
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Mitch,

Apologies for tardy response, morning shopping with the better half for house stuff!!!!

As soon as I saw BB's post about this one I was indeed very taken, just from the photos it looked perhaps better than the old grey one that I went to look at a week ago.

Even went so far as creating a FB account and messaged the seller first thing yesterday morning, he responded basically saying he would send over video when he got to work (I have a hunch its stored at work premises).

Since then total radio silence, I did message gently enquiring late yesterday, but still nothing...... Will try to remind again, but cant keep chasing him.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 17:54   #5127
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404319056...mis&media=COPY

Now I'm looking at this on a bigger screen rather than my phone, I think its had a (very) cheap blow-over paint job. See defects:
Above N/S Front bumper and lower front edges of near side doors - Looks like they have painted over rust?!

OSF door doesn't appear to fit properly, nor does the NSR

I don't think it would stand up to any close srutiny.

On the other hand, the '76 one on car and classic https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1575726
has had a proper job done on it.

Still wouldn't pay 12.5k for it mind!!
The green VWW on eBay has a bit of a shady past that the seller doesn’t go out if his/her way to mention. It hasn’t been used since 2006, when it failed its MoT test. I’m guessing it sat under an apple tree until the seller gave it a rub down with an oily rag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1945.jpg (60.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Othen; Jun 10th, 2023 at 18:06.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 17:58   #5128
Moomoo
VOC Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256105700...Bk9SR96Y6OOUYg

Another one in the hands of Morpheus!
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 18:46   #5129
Steve 940
Premier Member

And another.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-240...edirect=mobile

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 19:03   #5130
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
I still think non-historic 240s top out at 6 grand, but folk keep advertising them for much more. This is a nice enough VWW, but I can’t see why it might make more than £6,000.

I’d been doubting myself in pricing the Barge at 6 grand, but it is an historic registered vehicle, so I probably have it about right. It has over 100 folk watching on eBay, and a chap is coming to view it on Wednesday next, so it can’t be too far out.