Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 899643

Replies : 6504

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2023, 23:04   #5211
Chris1Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Now that would make a nice project for someone. It could qualify as an historic vehicle (and so be tax free) straight away, but it has not been registered as such yet, so the seller probably doesn't know about that.

The electrical problem would not take long to fix, and I think Dave is right that the flat paint would respond well to being cut and polished; the brightwork would probably come up okay as well and the wheels need a repaint (but they are steel, so easy to do oneself). It could be made nice for a grand in repairs and recommissioning (but I disagree with the seller that it is a potential show winner; well, anything could be a potential show winner if it had enough money spent on it, but it wouldn't be worth investing so much in this cooking apple).

I'd say it would be a good buy at £2,000 to £3,000 then worth 5 grand with the faults fixed, the recommissioning work done, polished up and with the historic vehicle premium. One wouldn't make a fortune but there might be a grand or so profit if someone was interested in doing the work themselves.

I like this motor car and would probably buy it if I was already settled in Zummrezette.

This one was up for auction some time ago, I think around Christmas.
At that time the left hand horn push had a blue button stuck to it to complement the red one!

I can't remember which autioneers it was, but as I recall it didn't attract a bid at the starting price at the time (which I also can't remember!)
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 10:13   #5212
Othen
Premier Member

Default Not a Volvo, but...

I happened upon this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354849432283

... it is a 1997 Metro, surely the owner can't really think it is worth £3,500?

It won't qualify as an historic vehicle foe another 15 years, so that isn't a factor. I'd have thought a grand would be plenty for that motorcar. I'll keep an eye on it (the auction ends tomorrow (Wednesday)).

PS. 'excellent' rusty wheel arches!
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 10:56   #5213
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
83 with twin webers and bouncy bits Northumberland £4900ono
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-VOLV...-/166181434933
I suppose it will qualify as an historic vehicle next April, and so will attract that premium soon, but surely the owner doesn't seriously think a rusty 245 is worth nearly 5 grand?

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 12:32   #5214
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I suppose it will qualify as an historic vehicle next April, and so will attract that premium soon, but surely the owner doesn't seriously think a rusty 245 is worth nearly 5 grand?

To put the suspension back to how it should be, i'd reckon on £500-£1000, depending on source of components and labour. It's not what i'd look for if i was after a 245, that's for sure.

Quote:
I happened upon this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354849432283

... it is a 1997 Metro, surely the owner can't really think it is worth £3,500?

It won't qualify as an historic vehicle foe another 15 years, so that isn't a factor. I'd have thought a grand would be plenty for that motorcar. I'll keep an eye on it (the auction ends tomorrow (Wednesday)).

PS. 'excellent' rusty wheel arches!
Surprisingly, the Metro and it's later incarnation, the 100, fetch good money these days Alan. The listing does say words to the effect of "Bad bits - rear wheel arches are both rusty, replacements available on ebay" but other than that, looks fairly good and probably worth £3-3.5k with the low mileage bolstering the value somewhat.

I daesay someone will probably have an "enthusiastic" bid near the end of the auction or it will be relisted until that happens.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 13:05   #5215
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
To put the suspension back to how it should be, i'd reckon on £500-£1000, depending on source of components and labour. It's not what i'd look for if i was after a 245, that's for sure.
Make 500 notes swapping it with stock from the next fool who wants to ruin their ride. Ditto the webers, but still left with a rusty 240.

Lot of time & money spent in the wrong places.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 13:43   #5216
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Surprisingly, the Metro and it's later incarnation, the 100, fetch good money these days Alan. The listing does say words to the effect of "Bad bits - rear wheel arches are both rusty, replacements available on ebay" but other than that, looks fairly good and probably worth £3-3.5k with the low mileage bolstering the value somewhat.

I daesay someone will probably have an "enthusiastic" bid near the end of the auction or it will be relisted until that happens.
Well, knock me down with a feather .
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 14:20   #5217
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The auction for the Bolton 'show condition' motor car only made £4,000 and the reserve was not met. I'm coming to think the market for non-historic 240s is down quite a bit.

The Bolton Show Car is going through the eBay mincer again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235058050756

The seller is trying another auction with a reserve, I wonder whether it will make it third time round?

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 17:56   #5218
BicycleBoy
Master Member

79 244DL in black'n'beige Hampshire £6450
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1596114
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 19:12   #5219
Bob 1967
Master Member

A lot of Volvos seem to have around 60k on the odometer, it must be when the odo gear gives up. Mine has had 63k for around a year!(guess why)
Older cars only have a 5 digit odometer, so it could have gone around the block a few times.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Jun 20th, 2023 at 19:14.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 19:29   #5220
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
A lot of Volvos seem to have around 60k on the odometer, it must be when the odo gear gives up. Mine has had 63k for around a year!(guess why)
Older cars only have a 5 digit odometer, so it could have gone around the block a few times.
That's about the first change of owner, when the new owner (who hasn't read the owner's handbook) presses the odometer reset whilst in motion.

I guess a proportion fail from wear, but not many. The Swiss made top drawer sh*t in the 80s (VDO just didn't design for ham fisted gorillas who didn't RTFM).

Last edited by BicycleBoy; Jun 20th, 2023 at 19:31.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post: