Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 913155

Replies : 6542

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2023, 18:37   #5341
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Some sunglasses might be needed with this one, a riot of '70's orangeness....

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1299224

On a more serious note, views on this one chaps.....

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1593892

Cheers,
Steve
That 244 is absolutely stunning, where did I put that spare 10k?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 19:25   #5342
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Some sunglasses might be needed with this one, a riot of '70's orangeness....

On a more serious note, views on this one chaps.....

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1593892

Cheers,
Steve
The orange car: either fantastic or awful, there is nothing in between. It’s not my sort of thing, so for me it is awful, I’d be embarrassed to own it. I think it is enormously overpriced, but then to someone in the fantastic camp it might be cheap?

The white Amazon VWW is arailable a bit cheaper on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256103487...mis&media=COPY

… the price has been trimmed and it is close to the end of its month long ad. It is quite a nice motorcar, but I think 12 grand is too much and that is the reason it hasn’t sold.

Would it suit you Steve? it is a VWW so it would be okay for the dogs. Amazons are lovely, but it doesn’t need anything doing to it, which is what I thought you wanted? I wouldn’t want to pay 12 grand for it, and by the look of the market no others are interested at that price. That is just my view though.

Alan

PS. I did a search of this thread, the orange motorcar has been for sale since January 2021, then at £11,000, it is the one in this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That could well be Dave…

I notice this one has come up again, I recall it selling a few months ago (but I can't remember the price it went for):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUNNING-...53.m1438.l2649

... it is undoubtedly a good car, but a low spec model and not in a nice colour, but £11,000?

Alan
… and this one also:

Quote:
The above was from January 2021, if my memory is correct (and it may not be - I'm getting old) then this is the same motor car still for sale:

... I'm guessing there aren't all that many orange 244DLs still hanging around, so I suspect I'm right.

The seller is still looking for £10,000 - after a year and a half of trying, this rather supports XC90Mk1's point above.

:-)
Surely the seller must soon get the idea it isn’t worth 10 or 11 grand?

Last edited by Othen; Jul 7th, 2023 at 20:06.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 21:40   #5343
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
The orange car: either fantastic or awful, there is nothing in between. It’s not my sort of thing, so for me it is awful, I’d be embarrassed to own it. I think it is enormously overpriced, but then to someone in the fantastic camp it might be cheap?

The white Amazon VWW is arailable a bit cheaper on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256103487...mis&media=COPY

… the price has been trimmed and it is close to the end of its month long ad. It is quite a nice motorcar, but I think 12 grand is too much and that is the reason it hasn’t sold.

Would it suit you Steve? it is a VWW so it would be okay for the dogs. Amazons are lovely, but it doesn’t need anything doing to it, which is what I thought you wanted? I wouldn’t want to pay 12 grand for it, and by the look of the market no others are interested at that price. That is just my view though.

Alan

PS. I did a search of this thread, the orange motorcar has been for sale since January 2021, then at £11,000, it is the one in this link

… and this one also:

Surely the seller must soon get the idea it isn’t worth 10 or 11 grand?

Hi Alan,

Yes the orange one does make one wonder what the Swedes were on in the '70's, mind you, I have just shuddered on recollection of our kitchen tiles in the 70's..... lots of brown and orange.. Why????

Regarding the VWW fetish, the failed purchase of the shed of a 145 certainly knocked the wind out of my sails for a bit, but at least its a lesson learned in now knowing what I definitely don't want.

Project yes, but not a total shed, and I think I am now settled on probably needing to pay a tad more to get a better starting point.

Whilst I still hanker an early 145 I don't rule out a Amazon.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 22:20   #5344
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Alan,

Yes the orange one does make one wonder what the Swedes were on in the '70's, mind you, I have just shuddered on recollection of our kitchen tiles in the 70's..... lots of brown and orange.. Why????

Regarding the VWW fetish, the failed purchase of the shed of a 145 certainly knocked the wind out of my sails for a bit, but at least its a lesson learned in now knowing what I definitely don't want.

Project yes, but not a total shed, and I think I am now settled on probably needing to pay a tad more to get a better starting point.

Whilst I still hanker an early 145 I don't rule out a Amazon.

Cheers
Steve
Did you hear any more from the chap that did buy the Poole VWW Steve? I have a vague recollection of the chap posting on the forum, but I can’t find it.

Amazons are pretty cool (… I would say that, wouldn’t I) but they are all 60ish years old now, so they all come with some baggage. Personally I’d feel a bit uncomfortable having more than 10 grand tied up in a motorcar to use for local trips a couple of times per week (either because it was too good to risk as a daily driver, or too bad so it wasn’t up to it). GAM is (in my opinion, but I would say that wouldn’t I) in a sweet spot in the middle. It owes me about £5,500, is smart enough to impress most folk, but not fussy enough to worry about leaving it parked at Morrisons.

I think the white Amazon VWW is too good, and too expensive at 12 grand, to use in the same way as I use GAM. Similarly I think the Poole 145 was too rough (hence me wondering how the buyer is getting on with it). You have to decide yourself why you want a VWW and what you want to do with it, that will dictate how much you have to spend. I get the feeling (and I mean no offence) that you haven’t really worked out that piece yet. I can’t help thinking you may never find what you are looking for Steve, because you haven’t really worked out which hole in your life the motorcar is to fill.

Just the thoughts of a middle aged man with a beard (but Bob thinks the same ).

Alan
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 22:58   #5345
Othen
Premier Member

There are a couple of Amazon VWWs at around the 20 grand mark for sale at the mo Steve:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334910132...mis&media=COPY

and…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166196739...mis&media=COPY

Personally I can’t see the point of either VWW, although I don’t doubt either seller’s claims that they would cost more than the asking prices to restore to their condition today. Perhaps I lack the imagination to understand why having 20 grand or more tied up in a 60 year old motor car is a good idea.

Old Jul 7th, 2023, 23:30   #5346
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Did you hear any more from the chap that did buy the Poole VWW Steve? I have a vague recollection of the chap posting on the forum, but I can’t find it.

Amazons are pretty cool (… I would say that, wouldn’t I) but they are all 60ish years old now, so they all come with some baggage. Personally I’d feel a bit uncomfortable having more than 10 grand tied up in a motorcar to use for local trips a couple of times per week (either because it was too good to risk as a daily driver, or too bad so it wasn’t up to it). GAM is (in my opinion, but I would say that wouldn’t I) in a sweet spot in the middle. It owes me about £5,500, is smart enough to impress most folk, but not fussy enough to worry about leaving it parked at Morrisons.

I think the white Amazon VWW is too good, and too expensive at 12 grand, to use in the same way as I use GAM. Similarly I think the Poole 145 was too rough (hence me wondering how the buyer is getting on with it). You have to decide yourself why you want a VWW and what you want to do with it, that will dictate how much you have to spend. I get the feeling (and I mean no offence) that you haven’t really worked out that piece yet. I can’t help thinking you may never find what you are looking for Steve, because you haven’t really worked out which hole in your life the motorcar is to fill.

Just the thoughts of a middle aged man with a beard (but Bob thinks the same ).

Alan
Hi Alan,

Well the VWW is a given with the 2 hounds, and that is about the only absolute and not going to change, even if the dog persons do

I will try to remember to search out the post from the chap that bought the grey 145.

Funding a project on any old wagon, unless a popular one such as MG, E type etc doesn't make any sense at all. Well come to think of it, this whole fiddling with old motors doesn't either😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 23:38   #5347
Steve 940
Premier Member

Here you go,

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...27#post2902827

From this thread, an ever winding road.....👍
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 23:56   #5348
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
There are a couple of Amazon VWWs at around the 20 grand mark for sale at the mo Steve:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334910132...mis&media=COPY

and…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166196739...mis&media=COPY

Personally I can’t see the point of either VWW, although I don’t doubt either seller’s claims that they would cost more than the asking prices to restore to their condition today. Perhaps I lack the imagination to understand why having 20 grand or more tied up in a 60 year old motor car is a good idea.

Well I dare say the vast majority of us old gits on here have that tied up in bricks n mortar.

Proverbial rocking horse poop I'm after methinks.

On the plus side, the garage planning variation has been approved and build regs process submitted, and paid for £534...... grrrrrrrrr What happened to different coloured cards and a couple of site visits.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 01:47   #5349
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Funding a project on any old wagon, unless a popular one such as MG, E type etc doesn't make any sense at all. Well come to think of it, this whole fiddling with old motors doesn't either😀

Cheers
Steve
With that comment in mind Steve, what about a Rover P6 Estoura?

Here's one that sold at auction recently :

https://online.historics.co.uk/lot-d...ver-P6-Estoura

Pretty thin on the ground, only about 160 made so exclusivity is assured and with it, a potential to recover your outlay if/when you come to sell it.

Other than that, back to looking for a half-decent 145 methinks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 06:43   #5350
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Well I dare say the vast majority of us old gits on here have that tied up in bricks n mortar.

Proverbial rocking horse poop I'm after methinks.

On the plus side, the garage planning variation has been approved and build regs process submitted, and paid for £534...... grrrrrrrrr What happened to different coloured cards and a couple of site visits.

Cheers
Steve
Thank you for that link Steve - not that I'm going to follow it, but I'm pleased I didn't imagine the new owner of the Poole VWW posting something (and hence the dementia may be further away than I thought). I wonder whether we will hear from the Poole VWW chap again?

I'm pleased the planning variation has been approved. When you come to tot up your spreadsheet for the garage project you may find that 'professional services' like the LABC charge are quite a considerable part of the costs. Irritating, isn't it?

I think you should concentrate on getting the walls and roof of that garage up by October and forget about motorcars at the mo. It sounds like a long time, but that that 12 weeks will soon disappear and if it isn't weathertight before the winter you won't finish the project until this time next year.

I understand the VWW requirement Steve (although you do surprise us from time to time with pre-war Morris motorcars that very clearly aren't VWWs). I think you should take the time until you complete the garage to think about what sort of motorcar you are looking for and what you want to do with it, so next spring you have clarify of purpose (plus a garage you may store it in). You started off the garage project justifying it as somewhere for restorations, now you are looking at £12,000 VWWs that don't need any work and pre-war Morris open tourers .

As I often tell Dan: don't buy things you don't want (even if they are cheap).

PS. I'm a little bit jealous of your garage project, not the outcome (I already have a double garage here, and the Zummrezette place will have the same), but the project itself. I enjoy project challenges and will miss that a bit with the Berrow sur la Mar house (new - just about perfect, nothing to do). In the same vein I wouldn't go out and buy a £20,000 Amazon or a £10,000 244 that were perfect and didn't need need anything. I can buy a modern motorcar that won't need anything doing much cheaper (and it will be better). Even the Barge was too good - a lovely car but I did all the work too quickly and so was no longer a challenge. I'd suggest a motorcar a bit like GAM (a few rust holes to weld up underneath, leaky brakes... you get the idea). It doesn't really matter whether it is a 145, Amazon, Rover, Ford or whatever.

Just the musings of a middle aged man with a beard just about to go Bobwalkin .

Last edited by Othen; Jul 8th, 2023 at 07:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: