Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 74603

Replies : 1355

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2023, 20:08   #541
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS View Post
This is the main reason why I have no intention of going electric. If I have to refuel as part of my journey then I want to refuel and carry on; not spend time doing other thins or twiddling my thumbs for half an hour, (or longer if there are no available chargers). Having said that, if I have a long trip to make I always fill up beforehand. With a range of at least 800 miles in a V70 diesel I've never had to break a journey for refuelling purposes.
When travelling with our kids we have to stop, long gone are the days of full length trips! Even when travelling with the wife before kids we didn’t often do more than 300 miles in one hit, so for us it’s no problem. Appreciate not everyone is the same, but it won’t be long until battery technology improves and you will be able to do 500 miles plus on one charge. Back in the 70s cars didn’t get that much range, will only be a matter of time. Also you have to review how often you do these long trips. If it’s every month and you can’t possibly live without going the whole 500 miles without stopping then yes it won’t be for you. But if it’s only a few times a year, could you not change your habits to suit?
Old Aug 23rd, 2023, 05:33   #542
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
If talking the last year they sold them in Oz, which was 2021, the only V60's were the T5 AWD & they were 1806kg or thereabouts. Diseasal engines are about the same weight as petrols these days but I assume a D4 would be lower-spec & FWD-only so I'd believe 100kg less for a D4 (diseasal cars are losing sales to EV's big-time here & Volvo didn't sell a diseasal V60 at all since the last face-lift here).

By comparison I don't know which Polestar 2 Baggy was talking about 'cos it seems badging is different here, but looking at the current model they range from about 1900kg to 2200kg. I also note that the facelift released here in May is ~60kg heavier than the pre-facelift ... probably a bigger battery?
I go back to the point, I have the conformity certificate for my car and it clearly states the mass.

Yes, the 2019MY brochure ‘says’ 1739kg and yes, when I received the certificate it was a surprise but that is what it says.

Yes, the 64kw Polestar 2 weighs less than the current SMSR (69kw) due to the battery being nearly 10% smaller.

Quote:
Having said that, if I have a long trip to make I always fill up beforehand. With a range of at least 800 miles in a V70 diesel I've never had to break a journey for refuelling purposes.
I never have the inconvenience of filling up my EV before a longer trip. Living in the country unless I fit it in with another journey (which isn’t as easy as it sounds) it takes me the best part of half an hour to go and get fuel.

Taking a break every 2-3 hours for 20m is A Good Thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Friend of mine is a project manager for a bridge construction company - they have just won a contract with Highways England to fit motion and load monitoring sensors on motorway bridges. The concern is if there is a motorway closure, and cars are parked on bridges bumper to bumper, what is the impact if most are over 2 tons rather than 1 tons of 30 years ago....

That's not from the Daily Mail, that's happening now starting with the M56/M6 junctions and bridges.
Hopefully they don’t run the calcs with a series of 44t wagons sat on the bridge otherwise they’ll get a really big number to brick themselves over.

Oh go on then, I’ll treat you - if ignoring point loads, assuming we can cram 4 cars into the same length as a 16.5m HGV and each of those naughty EV’s weigh 2.8t GVW, that’s 11.2t in 16.5m as opposed to 44t in 16.5m; a line of HGV’s is 4 times heavier.

Point loads are more complex but assuming about 35t is universally spread across the two axles on the back of a tractor and a tri-trailer you are looking at 3.5t per axle. EV’s tend to have even weight distribution so our 2.8t EV has 1.4t per axle.

Just perhaps, the study is being done to point out the generally sensationalist popularist tosh spoon-fed by the Daily Fascist is just that.

Last edited by Frank Bullitt; Aug 23rd, 2023 at 06:01.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Bullitt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 13:19   #543
GSS

Wrong thread

Last edited by GSS; Aug 25th, 2023 at 13:25. Reason: Wrong thread
GSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 13:27   #544
GSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
When travelling with our kids we have to stop, long gone are the days of full length trips! Even when travelling with the wife before kids we didn’t often do more than 300 miles in one hit, so for us it’s no problem. Appreciate not everyone is the same, but it won’t be long until battery technology improves and you will be able to do 500 miles plus on one charge. Back in the 70s cars didn’t get that much range, will only be a matter of time. Also you have to review how often you do these long trips. If it’s every month and you can’t possibly live without going the whole 500 miles without stopping then yes it won’t be for you. But if it’s only a few times a year, could you not change your habits to suit?
I do have a break on a long trip even if I don't need to refuel. I would never advocate attempting to drive anything near 500 miles without a break and anyone who attempts to do so is an irresponsible fool. As Frank Bullitt said above, a break every 2 - 3 hours is recommended, (if not actually imperative).
GSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 15:57   #545
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I do have a break on a long trip even if I don't need to refuel. I would never advocate attempting to drive anything near 500 miles without a break and anyone who attempts to do so is an irresponsible fool. As Frank Bullitt said above, a break every 2 - 3 hours is recommended, (if not actually imperative).
Aye, 500 miles is after all , ten hours at an average of 50mph.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 23:46   #546
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post

Hopefully they don’t run the calcs with a series of 44t wagons sat on the bridge otherwise they’ll get a really big number to brick themselves over.

Oh go on then, I’ll treat you - if ignoring point loads, assuming we can cram 4 cars into the same length as a 16.5m HGV and each of those naughty EV’s weigh 2.8t GVW, that’s 11.2t in 16.5m as opposed to 44t in 16.5m; a line of HGV’s is 4 times heavier.

Point loads are more complex but assuming about 35t is universally spread across the two axles on the back of a tractor and a tri-trailer you are looking at 3.5t per axle. EV’s tend to have even weight distribution so our 2.8t EV has 1.4t per axle.

Just perhaps, the study is being done to point out the generally sensationalist popularist tosh spoon-fed by the Daily Fascist is just that.
Given the nature of the sensors, usually on pillars, it's clear they're not interested in point loads, just overall weight bearing. And 44t wagons have always been 44t. Family cars haven't always been 2.5t
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 07:49   #547
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Given the nature of the sensors, usually on pillars, it's clear they're not interested in point loads, just overall weight bearing. And 44t wagons have always been 44t. Family cars haven't always been 2.5t
…but you do understand that a line of HGV’s is 4 times heavier than the cars and therefore EV’s aren’t an issue for weight…don’t you…?

Oh, and wagons haven’t always been 44t, they were 38t until not that long ago and the same sensationalist knee-jerking happened when they added 6t to them, too.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 08:12   #548
Forg

Quote:
And 44t wagons have always been 44t. Family cars haven't always been 2.5t
No, but they were 2.2T 10 years ago, before EV Stuff started.
The enfattening isn't a good thing, but blaming EV-ness for it is misguided.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 09:24   #549
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Comparisons to the weight of trucks is a bit of a blind alley but, trucks have not always been 44t, that was an increase that happened over the course of my career of 36 years in trucks. It was a while back now but there were similar predictions of doom and gloom and massive failures of the road network when that weight increase was introduced, and while we can't pretend that the roads have got any better over the past few decades we do still have a usable road network.
Many artic trucks on the road are not 44t the large number of supermarket trucks are often plated as low as 28t, and the actual weight of a truck on the road is not the gross plated weight. Last time I looked at this trucks run less than 50% loaded on average, due to various factors such as returning to base empty, only partial loads being available, multiple deliveries on one truck, the volume of the load meaning the truck is full before it gets to its plated weight. So a truck on the road on average is going to be maybe 14t for the unladen vehicle plus maybe 10t for the load, 24t rather than 44t.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 07:49   #550
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I think it is time we had separate parking areas in supermarkets for self-immolating EVs. I try to avoid parking near them, but sometimes they arrive after I've gone into the cafe. I've yet to see any signifactant advantages to compensate for the damage they do to the environment, but a few people still seem to believe they are saving the world by driving them around to spread increased brake and tyre nano-particles, and increase our insurance premiums and electricity bills.

The only adavatage I can see is that the government gets to be able to control their driving remotely, but that may not be an advantage to the EV drivers.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post: