Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 648443

Replies : 1366

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2022, 12:43   #551
Othen
Premier Member

Default Another rock drill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I don't think i've ever seen a 240 on Minilites* but the Volvo Pholus wheel is a close equivalent and of course is designed to fit.
Alan has the RBs winter tyres on Pholus wheels, he might add a pic if you ask him nicely.

* an internet search didn't reveal any 240s on Minilites either!
I think I have to concede that I was probably heading up a blind alley with the Wolfrace alloy wheels idea, thank you to all the contributors to that discussion. I wonder if I may ask for your indulgence in a second rock drill on the subject of wheels?

Dave's comment (above) about the RB's Pholus wheels being a close equivalent of Minilites set me thinking. I like the Pholus wheels (and also the Virgo wheels I also use on the RB), so what about adapting GAM's hubs to accept 5x108 PCD wheels and so allow access to all those nice Volvo alloy wheels from the 200/700/900 motor cars?

One has to use a little imagination to take account of the parallax here, but this is what GAM would look like with the Pholus wheels:

... and at the back:

... now, I can't help thinking that looks pretty good in both cases (and perhaps the Virgo wheels would as well?).

I have found a British company (Superforma Ltd, from near Exeter) that could manufacture 4 1/2" to 4 1/4" PCD adaptors 20mm thick complete with the correct hubcentric spigot and 1/2" UNF studs for about £120/pair (so £240 for the motor car). This would give some considerable advantages: hub-centric securing, 40mm wider track (than the standard Amazon) allowing me to use Volvo wheels with 195/65 tyres that have almost exactly the same rolling diameter as the originals (2% lower geared, which is fine).

The only disadvantage (apart from me shelling out £240, which is an okay project cost) is that I'd have to get a spare with 5x108 PCD, but I'm thinking that a space saver from any later Volvo such as this one for only £38:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152546388...MAAOSwB09YQqLv

would do fine.

At the moment this is just a thought experiment - I'm still exploring directions I could take GAM in, but I do like this idea a lot more than the ZZ Top wheels we discussed yesterday.

As always, your opinions would be valued chaps.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 1st, 2022 at 12:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 13:54   #552
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Your photos confirmed my suspicions Alan, the Pholus wheels really suit GAM!

Instead of shelling out on a space saver, why not get an additional Pholus wheel? Or use the spare from the RB if you're going on a longer journey in GAM?

Also the ET on the V40 space saver you found will be ~45mm as they're FWD so won't be suitable for GAM anyway. The seller rightly points out there is a speed limit of 50mph on the space saver tyre and there is no maximum distance, however it is generally recommended NOT to exceed 50 miles of use - the tread wears very quickly and they have little enough grip to start with!

Although i can't find one at the moment, there are usually plenty of single Pholus (and Virgo) wheels on fleabay, condition wouldn't be paramount as it is after all, the spare. If it comes with a tyre, ideally it would need to be 195/65/15 but if not, you could almost certainly get a decent part worn tyre for ~£20 delivered.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 14:07   #553
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Your photos confirmed my suspicions Alan, the Pholus wheels really suit GAM!

Instead of shelling out on a space saver, why not get an additional Pholus wheel? Or use the spare from the RB if you're going on a longer journey in GAM?

Also the ET on the V40 space saver you found will be ~45mm as they're FWD so won't be suitable for GAM anyway. The seller rightly points out there is a speed limit of 50mph on the space saver tyre and there is no maximum distance, however it is generally recommended NOT to exceed 50 miles of use - the tread wears very quickly and they have little enough grip to start with!

Although i can't find one at the moment, there are usually plenty of single Pholus (and Virgo) wheels on fleabay, condition wouldn't be paramount as it is after all, the spare. If it comes with a tyre, ideally it would need to be 195/65/15 but if not, you could almost certainly get a decent part worn tyre for ~£20 delivered.
Thank you for that Dave.

I won't make any rash decisions, this is a long term thing, but I can't help thinking the Pholus wheels suit GAP perfectly, so perhaps the answer was sitting right under my nose. There is nothing wrong with the steels wheels on GAM at the moment of course, and they have new tyres. Perhaps I'd even swap them at winter time as I do with the RB at the moment.

I think the 15" wheels with slightly wider (195) rubber and a slightly lower profile improve GAM's already good looks.

Why a space saver: because a 195/65 tyre would be too wide to fit in the spare wheel slot on GAM's boot, that is all. I could just acquire any old 5x108 15" wheel and leave it loose in the boot, but I like things tidier than that.

I think a 125/95R16 would work, even with a 45mm ET, the spacer would move it out by 20mm.

Alan
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 14:22   #554
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that Dave.

I won't make any rash decisions, this is a long term thing, but I can't help thinking the Pholus wheels suit GAP perfectly, so perhaps the answer was sitting right under my nose. There is nothing wrong with the steels wheels on GAM at the moment of course, and they have new tyres. Perhaps I'd even swap them at winter time as I do with the RB at the moment.

I think the 15" wheels with slightly wider (195) rubber and a slightly lower profile improve GAM's already good looks.

Why a space saver: because a 195/65 tyre would be too wide to fit in the spare wheel slot on GAM's boot, that is all. I could just acquire any old 5x108 15" wheel and leave it loose in the boot, but I like things tidier than that.

I think a 125/95R16 would work, even with a 45mm ET, the spacer would move it out by 20mm.

Alan
Correct me if i'm wrong Alan but the original steel wheels now have 165/78/15 tyres as per factory spec? (Include 165/80 as the modern equivalent of 165/78.)

If so, they would make ideal winter wheels as "tall'n'skinny" and (potentially) less expensive to repair a dented steelie if unintentional kerb impact occurs.
Then have the Pholus on normal summer tyres for the rest of the year.

With the 20mm spacer, that would reduce the ET to 25mm, i think the Amazon calls for 15-20mm ET originally so you'd probably get away with the V40 wheel as you suggest as a space saver spare. Surprised the spare wheel well in the Amazon won't accomodate a wider tyre though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 15:31   #555
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think I have to concede that I was probably heading up a blind alley with the Wolfrace alloy wheels idea, thank you to all the contributors to that discussion. I wonder if I may ask for your indulgence in a second rock drill on the subject of wheels?

Dave's comment (above) about the RB's Pholus wheels being a close equivalent of Minilites set me thinking. I like the Pholus wheels (and also the Virgo wheels I also use on the RB), so what about adapting GAM's hubs to accept 5x108 PCD wheels and so allow access to all those nice Volvo alloy wheels from the 200/700/900 motor cars?

One has to use a little imagination to take account of the parallax here, but this is what GAM would look like with the Pholus wheels:

... and at the back:

... now, I can't help thinking that looks pretty good in both cases (and perhaps the Virgo wheels would as well?).

I have found a British company (Superforma Ltd, from near Exeter) that could manufacture 4 1/2" to 4 1/4" PCD adaptors 20mm thick complete with the correct hubcentric spigot and 1/2" UNF studs for about £120/pair (so £240 for the motor car). This would give some considerable advantages: hub-centric securing, 40mm wider track (than the standard Amazon) allowing me to use Volvo wheels with 195/65 tyres that have almost exactly the same rolling diameter as the originals (2% lower geared, which is fine).

The only disadvantage (apart from me shelling out £240, which is an okay project cost) is that I'd have to get a spare with 5x108 PCD, but I'm thinking that a space saver from any later Volvo such as this one for only £38:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152546388...MAAOSwB09YQqLv

would do fine.

At the moment this is just a thought experiment - I'm still exploring directions I could take GAM in, but I do like this idea a lot more than the ZZ Top wheels we discussed yesterday.

As always, your opinions would be valued chaps.

Alan
More than a hint of Carlos . Not sure up here in Derbyshire.🤨
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 15:49   #556
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Much more in keeping, Alan. Subtlely updating GAM's appearance, as one might have done in period, without, if you'll pardon the expression, screaming 'Boy Racer'. I like the look. I also like 'L.S.'s idea of using the original steel wheels on winter tyres - a valuable bonus.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 17:42   #557
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I also like 'L.S.'s idea of using the original steel wheels on winter tyres - a valuable bonus.

Regards, John.
The bigger bonus is the present tyres on the steel wheels will serve excellent duty as winter tyres John!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 18:08   #558
142 Guy
Master Member

Taste is subjective. Those wheels don't do anything for me which appears to make me the odd man out.

As a general observation, I am not a great fan of trying to update the appearance of a vintage / classic vehicle. Updates look like the vehicle is trying to be something it isn't. 35 profile tires on 19" rims would just look silly on an basically original Amazon. Updated appearances can also have a way of becoming dated quickly (do you want to update to a sports jacket with big shoulder pads from the late '80s?). Original steel wheels or perhaps period correct alloys such as Minilight or Panasport fill the bill. There are also some hyper expensive period correct magnesium rims with knock offs that could work if you have surplus dinero burning a hole in your pockets; but, appearance wise they are more appropriate for an 1800 than an Amazon.

If you drive the car, mechanical updates such as alternators, 123 ignition, improved electrics I have no issue with.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Apr 1st, 2022 at 18:10.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 18:16   #559
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong Alan but the original steel wheels now have 165/78/15 tyres as per factory spec? (Include 165/80 as the modern equivalent of 165/78.)

If so, they would make ideal winter wheels as "tall'n'skinny" and (potentially) less expensive to repair a dented steelie if unintentional kerb impact occurs.
Then have the Pholus on normal summer tyres for the rest of the year.

With the 20mm spacer, that would reduce the ET to 25mm, i think the Amazon calls for 15-20mm ET originally so you'd probably get away with the V40 wheel as you suggest as a space saver spare. Surprised the spare wheel well in the Amazon won't accomodate a wider tyre though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
More than a hint of Carlos . Not sure up here in Derbyshire.🤨
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Much more in keeping, Alan. Subtlely updating GAM's appearance, as one might have done in period, without, if you'll pardon the expression, screaming 'Boy Racer'. I like the look. I also like 'L.S.'s idea of using the original steel wheels on winter tyres - a valuable bonus.

Regards, John.
Quote:
The bigger bonus is the present tyres on the steel wheels will serve excellent duty as winter tyres John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Taste is subjective. Those wheels don't do anything for me which appears to make me the odd man out.

As a general observation, I am not a great fan of trying to update the appearance of a vintage / classic vehicle. Updates look like the vehicle is trying to be something it isn't. 35 profile tires on 19" rims would just look silly on an basically original Amazon. Updated appearances can also have a way of becoming dated quickly (do you want to update to a sports jacket with big shoulder pads from the late '80s?). Original steel wheels or perhaps period correct alloys such as Minilight or Panasport fill the bill. There are also some hyper expensive period correct magnesium rims with knock offs that could work if you have surplus dinero burning a hole in your pockets; but, appearance wise they are more appropriate for an 1800 than an Amazon.

If you drive the car, mechanical updates such as alternators, 123 ignition, improved electrics I have no issue with.
Many thanks chaps,

That is something of a split vote, but I think I'm a lot closer than I was with the ZZ Top wheels:-) !

I'm just mulling this over at the moment, I really have not decided which way to lean.

Alan

PS. Yes Dave: 165/80R15 tyres at the moment.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 1st, 2022 at 19:41.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 19:35   #560
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The spare wheel well is pretty skinny Dave, just enough room for a 165 width tyre:

Alan