Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 940 sports estate manual

Views : 26529

Replies : 233

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 22:59   #51
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

There was a silver one for sale on here not long ago that was an auto. Think someone off here bought it.
940 Sports Edition, Graphite galaxy's, turbo plus kit, roof bars, dog guard, load cover, load tray, seven seats.
940SportsEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:25   #52
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

OK uploaded a copy of the tech data PDF sheet, so everyone can now see the specs of the sports edition. The type of seats, engine power and difference between auto and manual.
Hope this helps with future purchases of the sports edition
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 940SportsEditionTechData.pdf (486.6 KB, 47 views)
940 Sports Edition, Graphite galaxy's, turbo plus kit, roof bars, dog guard, load cover, load tray, seven seats.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940SportsEdition For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 18:06   #53
amaz'in

Hi Se,

Yup, thats the brochure i have here.

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 00:13   #54
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default The Red one

I got some bits some time back of Dene who is selling the red/maroon one and I think he is straight and pretty well informed. I suspect that if he says his is a Sport, then it is.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 08:33   #55
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Why a Sport?

There is however a question.

Why bother with a Sport? The last B230ETs had 182 bhp, the Sport autos 170, and the Sport manuals 170 and the occasional 190 when and if the turbo plus was working. If your late model B230ET is a 760 turbo (mine is) it has all the doings like electric seats and aircon and a sunshine roof and a dog guard and a load cover. The only things on the Sport that I'd want in addition would be the LSD (and some B230ETs had them if you are REALLY lucky) and the pretty wheels.

It would be nice to be 2 inches lower with a thicker antirollbar, but any time you change the front shocks on a standard ride height you can chop 2 inches off the springs and most shocks will not be upset by the ride height change - although to lower the back you do need the special nivomats unless you are going to abandon the AWESOME abilities of nivomats.

Simpler just to pop a rollbar from a scrappie on the rear and a second thin rollbar from a scrappie on the front and not bother about the ride height.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:46   #56
amaz'in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post

Why bother with a Sport? The last B230ETs had 182 bhp, the Sport autos 170, and the Sport manuals 170 and the occasional 190 when and if the turbo plus was working. If your late model B230ET is a 760 turbo (mine is) it has all the doings like electric seats and aircon and a sunshine roof and a dog guard and a load cover. The only things on the Sport that I'd want in addition would be the LSD (and some B230ETs had them if you are REALLY lucky) and the pretty wheels.

It would be nice to be 2 inches lower with a thicker antirollbar, but any time you change the front shocks on a standard ride height you can chop 2 inches off the springs and most shocks will not be upset by the ride height change - although to lower the back you do need the special nivomats unless you are going to abandon the AWESOME abilities of nivomats.

Simpler just to pop a rollbar from a scrappie on the rear and a second thin rollbar from a scrappie on the front and not bother about the ride height.
Hi Roger,

Yes quite true I concur with what you say.

However, the 182bhp ET was only produced for a short while here, most often on an 89 car but maybe late 88 or early 90 versions other than that they are 175 bhp.

So the problem is, it means you are buying a somewhat older car (89) to get the extra oomph, I have a 89 740 Turbo with B230ET (182) here for a parts car, I just wanted the 531 head etc so have donated the rest to my Volvo buddy.

It's great though, it has more grunt than my sports, a lot more lag, but comes in stronger, although not a revvy as the sports.
As Roger correctly states "when and if the Turbo + was working correctly"

Also the Sports models never had electric seats either so another good point, and I have seen a number of late 940's with the colour coded bumpers and mirrors etc, so again it's not unique to the sports.

I guess the most obvious attraction to the sports is the Galaxy wheels, these make £500.00 per set all day long ...and with ease.

The suspension is from memory on mine just 25mm lower I am reasonably sure Volvo just fitted the lowering kit 9134 286 or 9134 285 (if heavier auto box fitted).Could be wrong, mine's a PITA as it grounds out over every bloody thing! so maybe 50mm?

I believe the Glass sunroof and Aircon 'may' be unique to the Sports as far as 940 are concerned?

I think the way to look at it is, if you can pick up a Sports for sensible money, it may make a nice purchase, simply because you know you are getting all the toy's.

No need to drive hundreds of miles dragging yourself under 'many' Volvo's to ascertain if it has LSD, plus figure in the value of the wheels.

But I am going to turn mine into a Sports + plus soon, I have ravens IPD cam on the way, and as for the 740 "off with her head" (531) pop on the Jetex stainless system, Freds chips etc and I should be getting there.

On another note, something else has developed this morning, and it's sports related, but I will pop it in a post below....

J

Last edited by amaz'in; Dec 8th, 2009 at 10:50.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:51   #57
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post

Very true, in all that you said, but there is just something special about a sport, it just feels better, dont know why, but after owning several 9/7 series, I would go for a genuine sport every time. You just need to look on turbobricks to see what people can acheive with not allot of money or effort, and get a car far quicker and better road holding than a sport, but with a sport you are most of the way there. I agree about the turbo plus, mine has good and bad days, but I think a 14 yr old car that weighs the same as a house with a 2.3 engine, and is capable of 90mph in thrid gear and still pulling is good by any standards. But still nice to see people want to make their cars to go, handle and look like a sport.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 10:55   #58
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

amaz'in
Do tell more about the sport related item.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:06   #59
amaz'in

Hi Se,

Well this is most bizarre, you know I mentioned above about spotting the sister car to the Black sports on fleabay which started this thread,and I spotted it the other day, just 1 mile from my front door?

Well it's for sale! and the chap lives 2 miles from me....and i'm going to look at it at 2.00, I have been trying Volvo (local Inchcape) literally all morning to get them to check out the reg..but can i get them....

I just cant tell at the moment if it's a sports, the seller has no idea about the car at all, it's black, has galaxy alloys, I think the bumpers are colour coded, and I think it has the glass sunroof, he doesn't even know that himself, or if it has air con? he took it in 2 weeks ago, oh it certainly has the Sports egg crate grille.

Even if it isn't a Sports, it looks like a nice car, and with another set of Galaxy wheels...very tempting, mine now needs a clutch..slipping in reverse only, and then only backing out of say...a steep driveway, plus a little tiny blow on the exhaust up front etc.

So was looking around for a cheapie to punt round in whilst I get thoe things sorted, plus the bloody saggy back end on my car until it gets a mile or so down the road...

Volvo are now going to call me back yeah sure...the cheque is also in the post and I promise not to %$& in her mouth.

J
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:13   #60
amaz'in

Just popping down the road to Book my Amazon in for an MOT...back in ten.

look's like we both posted a response at the same time to Roger's post eh SE?

J