Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE : Changing the front gear linkage bushes

Views : 76015

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2010, 17:27   #51
SM2010

Just wanted to report another success story with this, and say thanks to the OP for his work.

Got a kit off ebay for about a tenner, took it down my mates garage where he done it for us in the pit. Only took about 15 mins.

Before I couldn't get it into first without a real fight, and it was loose as anything. Now it slides easy into all the gears. Still a bit of play in the stick but thats to be expected.

cheers.
SM2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 20:55   #52
Noris8322

Thumbs up

I've replaced the front & rear bushes on my car today, its made a world of difference!!!

Its really easy and simple to do (if it wasnt for the ) The parts are easily avaliable

I kinda feel bad about getting alot of money off the car because of it!!
Noris8322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 13:28   #53
mille2005

If you are just having trouble getting the car into reverse do you have to change both the front and rear linkage or will changing the front be enough ?
mille2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 13:42   #54
Baffler
Premier Member

Replacing only the front bush should do but, if the rear bushes have never been replaced, there may still be some lateral movement.

Buy from the main dealer because the kits on eBay don't come with the metal sleeve.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 14:01   #55
mille2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Replacing only the front bush should do but, if the rear bushes have never been replaced, there may still be some lateral movement.

Buy from the main dealer because the kits on eBay don't come with the metal sleeve.
Hi Baffler

Could you reuse the existing metal sleeve or is it better to replace it alltogher ?
mille2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 14:20   #56
Baffler
Premier Member

When you remove the old bush and sleeve it will probably look no different to the new one but there will be enough wear on the nylon and metal ends to prevent full travel of the linkage. I would strongly advise you to replace the metal sleeve also.

My local main dealer used to keep a stock of front bushes, due to being commonly replaced, and they always came with the sleeve.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:56   #57
nconroy1

Thumbs up Thanks

Big Thanks

Completed this easily today thanks to the guide. Was having problems getting into first and reverse. Fixed the problem first time.

Got the kit from Volvo dealers £15.11 with the metal sleeve.

Again thanks for the guides.
nconroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 22:24   #58
yorkipud

Default new bushes

Hi all did my bushes today £25 with a touch up pen from Volvo front and back when testing after finishing I could select reverse without lefting up and very near to 1st so kept getting reverse also very heaviely sprung to 3rd and 4th gate on further inspection the stop plate to prevent reverse selection without lifting was bent so straightend and jobs a goodun. thanks for the heads up.
yorkipud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:25   #59
rabwsnr

Default rabwsnr

thank you very much this is brill info but can u tell me if i need to renew the bush at other end of rod as well thank you again
rabwsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:34   #60
adani24

Default no reverse after changing bushes

Hi All,

I've got a V40 diesel (V reg 2000) 169k miles, solid as a tank!

I had the sticky 1st and hard to get in to reverse probs. Bought the bushes (from Dealer £21) and changed front and rear.
Now, I've lost reverse completley! and 2nd goes in but with virtualy no downward movement at all. The gear stick "looks" like it's in nuetral bt 2nd is selected.

The only trouble I had in replacing the front linkage bush was that the bolt had no room to come out from the top. So after much wrangling and pulling the gear selcter arm down and loosening the gear selector rod (13mm bolt with collar), finally managed to remove the 11mm bolt. Upon replacing the bushes and refitting the bolt, I decided to make it easier by installing from the bottom so that the nut is now on the top. I cheacked (as best I could) to see if the exposed thread on the bolt dosen't clash with any of the gearbox above it. Didn't see anything (not much visibility in there anyway!)

Am going to try to solve this prob today again, so any guidance on what I should be looking for would help. Otherwise I'll play around and revrse exactly what I did to try and solve this prob.

Any guidance would help
Thank you
Arun

Last edited by adani24; Jul 31st, 2011 at 09:49.
adani24 is offline   Reply With Quote