Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC 60 Review

Views : 15242

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2011, 22:41   #51
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I was taught that Latin was the language spoken in Latium, the area around the Tiber in which Rome was founded and that the Romans destroyed the Etruscan langauge rather than they destroyed Latin, being as Latin was their native langauge.

Perhaps it is similar to estuarial English destroying recieved English, but then received Englsh destroyed Victorian English, which destoyed ... ad infinitum

The origins and bastardisation of English would also make an interesting thread
Hi Wimorrison

Yes that’s right , Latin was spoken in Latium by the tribes Latini , although no one can decide exactly when or where “Rome” was founded although its believed it was the first type of Latin which then went on to become Classical Latin. Many of the people in the areas and cities near Rome generally spoke non Italic Etruscan although many didn’t. It must have been a nightmare and really complicated for each and everyone to understand each other as people in different regions spoke many versions..!!

I suppose Classical Latin was spoken by the posh Romans and then lesser people , I believe the proletariat ..!!…lol…caused it to become Vulgar Latin , which is where a lot of languages , including English descend from I suppose .Vulgar Latin was kept after the decline of the Romans and Vulgar would be a good word to describe todays English!! - bastardised by too much text usage me sez 2u if ya c wot I min…!!!..lol.

English as you say is an interesting subject though when you consider the daft phrases we have…fat chance - slim chance..?? Two different describing words yet the phrases mean the same!….then there is the pronunciation of Snow and Cow…No wonder we get confused!

Interesting how a thread listing a vehicles pros and cons turns into a thread about The Roman Empire…!!!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 22:54   #52
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl20 View Post
VR,

I have since Volvo, but I am intrigued how your purchase experience was?

Carl
Hello Carl

How are you?

A bit confused by your post as shown.
Do you mean "left" Volvo, you no longer work for Volvo?

Purchase experience can be summed up like this.

Arrived at the dealers below in Y reg Fiat Punto

Went into Porsche Dealer for a look at the range, was approached after about 5 minutes or so, and said I was just looking and not buying and I was offered coffee and brochures with all my questions answered in a polite manner by a sales person who spent a good hour with me.Similar with Ferrari, said I was just looking, who were also fine although not as accomodating as Porsche as again I said was not a buyer.Went to a number of Volvo dealers none of whom even got the chance to know whether I was buying or not as was totally ignored.

Result:Bypass Volvo dealer -internet - email - order - card - deliver - have.

Regards
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 23:06   #53
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbenj View Post
While not trying to dig up the earlier issues, are you able to tell us how tall you are VR?!
Superbenj

Pretty average really just under 6ft, long torso, shorter legs..lol

Imagine your post refers to seating position , which is an interesting one as I know someone who is , how shall I put it , mmm, very very big tummy...(who knows could be preganant????..!!) although due to tummy has to sit quite a long way from the wheel , which then means the pedals are difficult to reach, sit close to the wheel and the airbag is a danger.

I also know someone who is very tall although has shorter arms so the dilemma is - needs to be near the steering wheel due to the arm length although far enough away for the legs to comfortably operate the pedals.

Sounds unusual proportions although everyone is a different shape and size and all thats needed is available fitted adjustments eg seat up and down , seat belt higher and lower , steering wheel rake etc etc.

Hammond and Clarkson have problems fitting in cars for their own different reasons although they are pretty standard guys!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 23:10   #54
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Lol, that's what good friends can do............Take the P*ss.
True to an extent, although familiarity breeds contempt?

One can see that Darbs remarks re BMW t****r are clearly friendly and fun and made in jest.Absolutely fine.

Other sarccy remarks to other peeps unknown can be considered risky!!!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 23:14   #55
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Do you never sleep - it's midnight & you are still tapping away on that keyboard..............
Time for me to get some kip - I have a long run tomorrow upto Snowdon with the aim of putting a few more "running in" miles on the new motor.
Hey you were up later than me LOL LOL LOL
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 22:05   #56
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossedover View Post
Hi VR,

I won't continue the debate too much, as I think we're starting to get into one man's meat is another man's poison territory.

However, WRT MPG, I can pretty much reproduce the official figures closely if I drive carefully and stick to the terms of the test. Who does that though? It was the same with my BMW - claimed combined 50mpg, reality 42-44.

The thing with cars like the XC60, i.e. heavy and not all that aerodynamic, big acceleration or high speed cruising costs dearer than similar excursions in cars such as a '90s Fiesta

All the best
Yep it's all relative, wife drives the XC60 daily as she does 25 local miles round trip at circa 38mpg.

Now I do 70 miles round trip on motorway, in a new turby diesley Fiesta which does 70mpg at the legal limit.

If we swopped our fuel bill would double!

I do have the comfort that I have voice recognition and a heated front screen which her (2010) XC doesn't, I just don't have a premium car with leather seats, AWD, 205PS, Xenons, 20" alloys, parking sensors, folding mirrors, climate control, no need to go on - sob......
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 22:09   #57
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Wimorrison

Yes that’s right , Latin was spoken in Latium by the tribes Latini , although no one can decide exactly when or where “Rome” was founded although its believed it was the first type of Latin which then went on to become Classical Latin. Many of the people in the areas and cities near Rome generally spoke non Italic Etruscan although many didn’t. It must have been a nightmare and really complicated for each and everyone to understand each other as people in different regions spoke many versions..!!

I suppose Classical Latin was spoken by the posh Romans and then lesser people , I believe the proletariat ..!!…lol…caused it to become Vulgar Latin , which is where a lot of languages , including English descend from I suppose .Vulgar Latin was kept after the decline of the Romans and Vulgar would be a good word to describe todays English!! - bastardised by too much text usage me sez 2u if ya c wot I min…!!!..lol.

English as you say is an interesting subject though when you consider the daft phrases we have…fat chance - slim chance..?? Two different describing words yet the phrases mean the same!….then there is the pronunciation of Snow and Cow…No wonder we get confused!

Interesting how a thread listing a vehicles pros and cons turns into a thread about The Roman Empire…!!!!

Regards
Ahhh yes but - what have the Romans ever done for us?
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 22:35   #58
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
Ahhh yes but - what have the Romans ever done for us?
the aqueduct?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 22:55   #59
Mrjon
Master Member

It's hard to know who to back here.
If it came to a fight VR's "freakish physical proportions " would obviously have the advantage. Likewise if the the differences were settled over a game of scrabble VR's 3 languages would give him the advantage, so he's the clear winner. Yet,.. Matteus fights for truth, justice and is the defender of the XC60 way so I'm torn.
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 00:02   #60
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
It's hard to know who to back here.
If it came to a fight VR's "freakish physical proportions " would obviously have the advantage. Likewise if the the differences were settled over a game of scrabble VR's 3 languages would give him the advantage, so he's the clear winner. Yet,.. Matteus fights for truth, justice and is the defender of the XC60 way so I'm torn.
One can fight for truth and justice and defend a car although its not a good idea that Matteus XC60 "res vulgo suus scribo vox per numerus ignoro pro tact quod sensus of alius quod est plumbeus in vita"

hehehe I think I win at Scrabble..lol