Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinion of new XC90 ride and Noise

Views : 10113

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2015, 04:02   #51
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
Absolutely disgusting.

I was massively dissapointed when I test drove a XC90. The standard suspension is van like and the engine sounds like it belongs in a van.

Some on here will defend Volvo no matter what. I don't understand why.
What van would that be?

I've rented a few different vans and they gave nothing like the ride quality of either suspension types fitted to the XC90. Engines were all noisier as well.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 08:45   #52
Dutchbird

[QUOTE=4candles;2029492]My heart bleeds for anyone forking out £50k and not doing a week long test drive to fully satisfy themselves that substance comes primary to style,

You mean £58K , and No we did not test drive the car for week ,as we ordered the car before the car was even launched. We have learnt From this lesson and will not be repeating this excersise again. Test driving is very subjective just read the various motoring magazines, magazines report the test drives differently but that is only human Sometimes it is like they watched different football matches . Everyone is different ,that is why you cannot say that XYZ is wrong in reporting what to him or she is a perceived problem and that you are right, people's hearing to start with is different. Enough said!

We did have confidence in Volvo to get "things" right ,never had any problems with Our previous Volvo models and our current S60 .

Doing a test drive even for a week does not give you the overall picture of living with the car ,as normaly do not buy the car you are actually driving. Each car is different with it's own built in problems, one car has none and the other is a dog and is full of problems. Unfortunately it is the luck of the draw which version of the car you get produced by the factory ,it could be a Friday night car but there again you can also be lucky and get a car without ever having any problems.

MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 P* Se Lux Geartronic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (232.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Dutchbird; Dec 21st, 2015 at 08:56.
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dutchbird For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 16:58   #53
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting.

I was massively dissapointed when I test drove a XC90. The standard suspension is van like and the engine sounds like it belongs in a van.

I've been looking at reviews on the net to see what the professional reviews said, to see if I had just driven some good samples of the new XC90 and they seem to find it in line with what I found.

Quote:
we concentrated on the big-selling 222bhp D5 diesel. It’s efficient enough, claiming 48.7mpg and 149g/km of CO2, and also rather nice to use: smooth, with plenty of power and a deep-cultured growl

Quote:
Besides, to drive the XC90 like this is to miss out on its great strength – an incredible refinement born of that plush ride, the interior’s calm ambience and a hushed lack of any wind or road noise.

The D5’s 222bhp twin-turbo diesel four is fit for purpose. It’s not spectacular but it is smooth, quiet at low revs and strong enough to make for an engaging drive and the odd opportunistic overtake.
Quote:
Our pick of the powertrain options, the diesel engine (dubbed D5 by Volvo) has 222bhp and 470Nm of torque. This means a sprint from 0-62mph in 7.8 seconds with a top speed of 137mph. It feels nothing more than brisk on the road, primarily because this is a massive car.

Probably the most impressive thing about this engine is how versatile it is considering the fact that it’s smaller than the engines in most rivals. It doesn’t quite have the creamy refinement of a six- or eight-cylinder engine, though, and doesn’t sound particularly inspiring.
I was born when the side valve petrol engine was king and people made the same complaints about the new overhead valve technology. All those revs won't last etc. Yet a Volvo OHV 1.8 litre engine reached 3,000,000 miles this year.

My first car had a 3,669 cc side valve engine that developed 20 bhp. Did about 12 mpg and had a maximum speed of 50mph. Things were not always better in the old days. At least it had an aluminium body unlike the cars that came after it. My first OHV engine seemed great but it was mated to a body that rusted so much the headlights fell out after 6 years. I chose to move to Volvo because their cars didn't seem to be full of rust after a few years. I've kept coming back to them because of their durability and safety record combined with masses of room for all the family. Other manufacturers have upped their game but so far Volvo have stayed that one step ahead in my eyes. There is an element of feeling comfortable with what you know but I also enjoy the club and the people in it. I have flirted with other makes but never been quite as satisfied with other offerings. My friend says cars are like shoes, you have to wear them for a while before you really decide if the are really for you.

The side valve needed a full service every 500 miles as well with intermediate ones every 100 miles. Big ends were replaced every 35,000 miles.

I do have trouble reconciling your view of the new XC90 with mine because of the things you say about the car. I've owned 5 vans and non of them were anything like the new XC90. I understand the desire for a big engine and there are plenty of manufacturers offering large engine models still so it's not as though there are no other options, so why bother to keep knocking a car that is different to your perfect car? Volvo won't change their environmentally driven car design because you don't like it will they?

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Dec 21st, 2015 at 17:02.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 17:46   #54
Denedriver

Default New XC90. Noise and Reviews.

I too read the reviews. I wonder if the reviewers were supplied with special cars with extra soundproofing. Whatever, if you look at enough, you do see some criticism of the road noise. None though experience the resonance that a lot of drivers are getting, that is the real problem and a design flaw.

I have absolutely no issue with the car, other than this particular problem, which makes it wholly unacceptable as a premium car.
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 17:52   #55
Denedriver

Default A list of owners??? Is it possible?

Dutch Bird has suggested that those affected put our names on a list. Is it possible to contact off the forum. I am new to this so don't know, but certainly don't want all to list their personal contact details. I am though happy to coordinate a response to Volvo which demonstrates they have a growing problem here.

Volvo UK are still passing the buck back to the dealer and unable to say why they advise running at 7 psi below recommended tyre pressure if they are not aware of a problem!
Denedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 19:46   #56
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denedriver View Post
I too read the reviews. I wonder if the reviewers were supplied with special cars with extra soundproofing. Whatever, if you look at enough, you do see some criticism of the road noise. None though experience the resonance that a lot of drivers are getting, that is the real problem and a design flaw.

I have absolutely no issue with the car, other than this particular problem, which makes it wholly unacceptable as a premium car.
I doubt it is down to soundproofing as the noise as described sounds like a resonance in the body which is difficult to get rid of. I'm guessing people like myself who didn't experience it didn't drive on that type of old concrete that some of the M25 is made of. Land Rover had a problem like that on the Disco and solved it with massive weights under the rear chassis.

Hopefully Volvo will come up with a resolution soon, must be irritating if you have to drive on that type of surface a lot. I did notice one reviewer saying not to choose 21" wheels.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 10:09   #57
AB-UK
Premier Member

I have in the past commented on the relatively rough ride afforded by bigger wheels and therefore less tyre rubber between the wheels and the road.
However, when I took a Momentum out for a test drive, it had been fitted with 22" wheels as a dealer option. I expected the ride to be less comfortable than my 2010 Exec with 19" wheels, but I didn't find it so.

It was surprisingly smooth and quiet.

Having said that though, before I sign on the dotted for a new XC90 I'm going to insist on a longer test drive and make sure it includes more road types to check the alleged noise problem.

After all, if (big if) you are going to fork out £3000 for the B&W sound system, you want to make sure it can be heard properly.

I know Rolls Royce can do it, so why can't Volvo - and before any one brings cost of the cars into it, the basic materials used in sound insulation don't have to be made from the pelts of rare animals or whatever RR use!
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 14:31   #58
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
What van would that be?

I've rented a few different vans and they gave nothing like the ride quality of either suspension types fitted to the XC90. Engines were all noisier as well.
You really should work in volvos pr department.

They can do no wrong in your eyes.

It's alot closer to a van than your range rover v8.

The fact that you can't tell much difference between a 4.4 range rover V8 with sublime suspension and a 2.0 D5 xc90 speaks volumes.

Last edited by Kev78; Dec 22nd, 2015 at 14:34.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 15:30   #59
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
You really should work in volvos pr department.

They can do no wrong in your eyes.

It's alot closer to a van than your range rover v8.

The fact that you can't tell much difference between a 4.4 range rover V8 with sublime suspension and a 2.0 D5 xc90 speaks volumes.
I can't see where I said that I couldn't tell the difference between the Range and the new XC90?

I did say that on my XC60 with 4C chassis and 17" wheels there was very little on road difference with suspension comfort. I tested them at different speeds over a local bumpy railway crossing at different speeds. The XC60 with that set up also handles a lot better and has the advantage to me of always being at the same height getting in an out at our field gates. Unless you have need of the greater articulation for extreme off road use the much much greater running cost of the Range Rover isn't worth it to me personally.

On a different thread I said that I preferred the new XC90 to the Range is that what you are thinking of? I thought it had more usable space, better handling, cheaper running costs, better design inside and out, quieter and more refined. My Range was the last steel bodied version though. I haven't looked at the new aluminium chassis version yet.

2.5 litres is my maximum engine size now though for modern cars. I'd only buy a classic with a big engine nowadays.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Dec 22nd, 2015 at 15:32.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 15:39   #60
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting.

Are you going to disclose the identity of this wonderful van, or is it a secret?