Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(big reds) porsche calipers

Views : 5861

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:19   #51
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon J View Post
That's one way to approach the task up upgrading one's brakes I suppose. But I wonder what your insurance company would say in the event of an accident when the assessor sees completely non standard brakes not designed for the vehicle in question. Rather you than me! In fact rather you than me driving a car with brakes that aren't properly designed for it. Each to their own I guess.
well where do i start the 4pot porsche brembo brakes are way better than any volvo brakes out there so in my eyes ile stop a hell of alot faster and sooner to avoid a crash so there wouldnt be an insurance claim to start with also the insurance company will be told of the parts fitted in due course
bambam27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:41   #52
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
Did I mention you English is first class but you brake knowledge is sh1te??I'm sure I did somewhere!!

Back on track.

What experience have you got when recommending a true Performance braking upgrade for bambam27?Could you also enlighten the 4 pot brigade to why YOU think there brakes are inadequate.
theres no need mate ile go with the 4 pot calipers any day of the week over any stock volvo ****e braking system over the years iv had so many diff upgraded bigger discs pads caliper brackets from ebc/ black diamond/ vauxhall, all kinds of drilled and grooved and combi discs braided hoses higher spec brake fluid on all of my fast vauxhalls and was still ****e and had loads of brake fade i even smashed some one up the arse while had no brakes due to brake fade even tho they where all upgraded so when i had my nova turbo when i was 20 i went out and got the willwood 4 pot brake kit and omg what a massive diff it made to the car so i will never waste my money on anything else again only the best 4/6/8 pot calipers will do for me so strbryan if you could send me as much info on these kits as possible please i would like to fit them to my car thanks. from gareth
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:54   #53
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon J View Post
In the past, I've always opted not to say since it was the subject of lengthy and somewhat acrimonious discussion with Volvo when I bought the car as they delivered it with the 280 brakes instead of the 302 that were listed in the C70 brochure in 2003. But since neither the car, nor the brakes, are available any more it can't do any harm to reveal that I paid £500 for them.

But as I said, I'm making no claims for my brakes - it was you who raised the issue not me. But on balance, they're pretty good value don't you think?
also the £500 price tag you paid was bit of a rip off as the porsche 928gts big blacks are only £360 for the pair the s60 r discs and pads are around the £40 to £60 second hand from loads of volvo breakers im not to sure how much for new ones but second hand is fine as they come with 3months warranty from the breakers. ipd brackets and bolts £191 then a set of braided hoses £30 to £50 from ebay total maybe around the £621 its a bit more than your volvo ones but id rather spend a bit more for the 4 pots due to gripping the discs alot better so alot more brake feel and faster pull ups to reduce the braking distances involved but thats how i feel you might not feel that way but i have had 4pots i just wish you could to see the true braking styles these have if you have had a set or been in some ones who got them fitted i mean wow big time.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 13:27   #54
volvo145
Premier Member

Was the £500 the fitted price by volvo on all corners if not you were robbed big time.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 19:04   #55
bambam27
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Was the £500 the fitted price by volvo on all corners if not you were robbed big time.
why would volvo want to fit the parts when i fit and service my cars myself and saves thousands of pounds by doing it that way so you want to learn and do some work yourself or wont you get your hands dirty lol. theres nothing better than fixing your own car yourself it gives you that yes i did it and was done the way you like it the right way. so you carry on getting ripped off thanks and kind regards me