Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Tramlining - poll

Views : 65872

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which tyres are best on a V70?
Pirelli P6000 48 25.40%
Toyo Proxis 10 5.29%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 46 24.34%
Continental 11 5.82%
Michelin Pilot Sport 30 15.87%
BF Goodrich Profiler 4 2.12%
Other 40 21.16%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 22:43   #51
Viper_7
Premier Member

As someone touched on - forget the manufacturers recomendation of 32PSI
with the factory fitted P6000's most people run them with 36 psi and have no tramlining problems, sure the ride is a little firmer but the car is more responsive and braking seems unaffected, and the tyres last longer too. 32 PSI seems to be too low to get the best out the tyre and the car.

Tramlining is best noted on the inside lane of Motorways, you could pretty much drive the length of the M1 without touching the wheel, and your car will just bounce about between the groves created by the trucks - hence like rails - tramlining.
Quite often even a change in road surface causes the tyre to pull to one side or the other, even a white line can do it if things are bad.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:31   #52
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboro View Post
Bottom line: Our roads are poorly made.
Actually, our road are poorly maintained. For "pooly" read "not"....!

Hence the collapse of the foundations of the M1 recently:
Low maintenance
increased lorry weight...
... Subsidence...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 13:05   #53
aljohnson

Default Tramlining HELP !

Good Day out there.
New member,long time volvo fan.Ex pat Brit in NZ,where roads are really crap.Reading old thread and having ongoing dilemma with tramlining on my C70 T5,on 17' Canistos running Bridgestone Potenza 225/45 R17s.Seems to have got worse recently,and wife now reluctant to drive car.Had toe-in checked,adjusted a few times , bushes checked,new Koni FSTs and sway bars ends,no difference.
Finally swapped my front wheels for hers,as she runs a 1997 V70 AWD with 16" wheels and 205/55R16s; Problem disappeared,steering solid as a rock over the uneven Tauranga road surfaces.
And to complete the trial,the swap turned her V70 into a dog,tramlining just like mine.......so,now I am wondering,is it simply a bad tyre choice on my 17" Canistos,or are they inherently bad for this problem?
I could fit 205 section tyres to my Canistos by all counts,reducing combined tyre tread width by 40-50mm,and change to another brand out here in NZ,possibly Toyo.Michelins prohibitively expensive expensive
Al J
aljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 23:28   #54
aljohnson

Default Update on tramlining issue

This might be useful to all those with tramlining steering feel on 17 inch 225 section tyres,as was my problem.
Have now tried same tyre ( Bridgestone Potenza) in 205/50 on my C70 here in NZ ,and significantly improves the issue; virtually no tramlining over same stretch of road. So now running 205 section on front , and older 225s on rear which I will replace as they wear.Still not as rock steady as wife's V70 on 205/55 R16 which have a different offset,but does the job.In my experience of this problem,therefore , it is not suspension arm bushes/shocks/sway bars but the tyre width relative to the corresponding offset of the wheel that causes almost all of the problem.
Al
aljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 19:26   #55
Peter S60 2.4T '02
Peter S60 2.4T '02

Default Tyres

I had a '99 V70 2.4 with 15 inch wheels .

Can't remember the tyres I started with, but got P6000's on the front when time to replace. Never again. The added to the car's roll on roundabouts and squeeled like a pig when pushed on big on hard bend. Tracking and suspension were not the prob.

Soon moved them to the rear because got sick of them, and got BF Goodrich Profilers fitted to front. Heaven! Their sidewall stiffness make a marked improvement and the grip was like Superglue to the road. Didn't notice any lack in comfort or road noise. They lasted about 10k against diesel Passats on the way home everyday.

I recently had an '06 S60 185bhp diesel with 17 inchers (225/45) for three weeks. P6000's were on it. 2nd gear, dry roads, straight line, wheels spun without fail when pedal floored. This caused my probs when trying to get off my estate and onto the local 60 mph road in speeding traffic.

My current '02 S60 2.4t (200bhp) started with Cont. Contisports on the front, which lasted for ages and gripped qiute well, though 'tramlining was scary on the motorway ruts.

When time came, I changed these to BF Goodrich Profilers, as I'd enjoyed them on the V70. Still fantastic, and saved my bacon at junctions on two occasions.

Now I'm into my 3rd year in the S60 and have moved to Cont. Contact Sport2's. They may last longer than the Profilers and may have good grip, but the grip can't beat the Profilers when you find yourself late for work and have to drive like a fool. No comments!

Now I'm off to write the next Harry Potter book.
Peter S60 2.4T '02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:52   #56
laurence

Cool

The police automaticly change the tyres to goodyear F1 the other tyres are put away untill they get rid of the car,they then run them at 42 in the front this is to stop wearing the centre out of them at high speeds,they are by far the best tyres for this model and also the 850,I personaly wouldent fit any other,tramlining can also be caused by weak bottom arm bushes.
laurence

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 19:26   #57
jazz man 99

I've just switched to F1s and previously had 850/V70/V70R FWD all on Pirellis and they all tramlined badly. I just came back on 100 mile trip on Goodyears....NO tramlining.
Having said that I occasionally run a Bentley Cotinental R Mulliner on Pirellis and it drive superbly.
jazz man 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 16:02   #58
Muttley

I'm having huge issues on my 2003 V70 T5 with nightmare tramlining on poorly maintained roads and nasty clunks as the wishbones rattle about (even when reversing!) coupled with lairy torque steer when driven agressively. It's got 92k on the clock and was an ARV with North Yorks Police before I bought it so I am assuming it has the reinforced bushes - I managed to get hold of it's service record so I'll check that.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1's and have to admit that these are very impressive, even in snow as I found out last Monday night (OK so the DSTC helped a lot as well!).

Given the problems she's going into dock next week - I'm planning on getting the bushes replaced with polyurethane ones but which ones should I replace? I'm on a limited budget at the moment (the exhaust is blowing and the rear tyres need changed and there is a suspect bearing on the rear nearside) so go easy on me.

Cheers

Gavin

2003 V70 T5 SE
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 22:35   #59
kez

i see no mention of goodyear eccelence in this thread.

why's that then ?

kez
kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 15:50   #60
t5topcat
t5topcat

Toyo,s every time. Sticky , good in the wet and last well for the price.I had Pirelli,s on to start with and had the tramlining but none with the Toyo,s