Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breaking a 2002 S40 1.9D

Views : 23895

Replies : 158

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2011, 22:35   #51
GazT4
Diesel Power

Yeh im happy with that, find out about undertray etc and ill hopefully get them all off of you.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 23:15   #52
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Yeh im happy with that, find out about undertray etc and ill hopefully get them all off of you.
Will let you know on Sunday (or Saturday late evening) if that is ok with you. I use UPS or Citylink courier, so the postage will be a flat £7 for up to 30 kilos

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 09:34   #53
jasedarace
JaseDaRace

hi gatos...

not only do I need the headlight loom (which you know about) but I also need the lom that plugs into the indicators. My black indicators wont plug into my existing P1 loom aaarghhh...

J
jasedarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 11:02   #54
GazT4
Diesel Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedarace View Post
hi gatos...

not only do I need the headlight loom (which you know about) but I also need the lom that plugs into the indicators. My black indicators wont plug into my existing P1 loom aaarghhh...

J
Cant you use your old bulb holders in the black indicators?
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GazT4 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 11:34   #55
jasedarace
JaseDaRace

you'd think so, wouldn't you... but no, they are a different size too.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasedarace For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 12:06   #56
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
you'd think so, wouldn't you... but no, they are a different size too.
Wait a minute jasedarace.......... Do you have a Phase 1 car and want to convert the lights to a phase 2? If yes then now it all makes sense. Phase 2 cars have 4-pin connectors for the headlight unit where as all Phase 1s have 4-pin

I checked 4 Phase 2 cars including S40s and V40s, ranging from early 2001, 2002 and 2003 and all of them have 4-pin connectors. In that case you need both of my connectors.

The only other thing I suspect is that the headlights you have are the twin headlights from a Phase 1 T4, in which case, I am unsure if they are 4 or 5 pin connectors. If that is the case, then you need the loom from someone who is breaking a Phase 1 car....

If however you are converting all your lights from P1 to P2, then you will have to alter the loom and make it from 5 to 4 pin connector. Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think that the side frnt panels may differ slightly from the P2 ones where the indicators lights fit. DOn't quote me for this, but that's my impression. Hopefully someone else can confirm this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Undertray is there and in one piece. A couple of scuffs here and there but nothing major.

N/S front wheel arch also there and in one piece

Steering rack also ready and in one piece

Nullius in Verba
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 12:47   #57
jasedarace
JaseDaRace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Wait a minute jasedarace.......... Do you have a Phase 1 car and want to convert the lights to a phase 2? If yes then now it all makes sense. Phase 2 cars have 4-pin connectors for the headlight unit where as all Phase 1s have 4-pin

(snip)

The only other thing I suspect is that the headlights you have are the twin headlights from a Phase 1 T4, in which case, I am unsure if they are 4 or 5 pin connectors. If that is the case, then you need the loom from someone who is breaking a Phase 1 car....
Sorry, I'm learning on the fly, here. I'm a bit more knowlegeable on the 7xx series :-)

Its a P1 with single headlights. I have picked up some black bezel lights from a P1 t4 (I think). They were pacman's. He offered me the 5 pin and 4 pin. the 5 pins were fitted so I left it as is. I should have gone for the 4 pin, shouldn't I ;-)

However If I have the 4 pin plug that goes into the headlight (and the bulb holders that go into the cones) then that could work too... but I still need the wiring loom too. Bit more hassle as I'll have to remove the lights but I'm gonna have to do that anyway ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post

Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think that the side frnt panels may differ slightly from the P2 ones where the indicators lights fit. DOn't quote me for this, but that's my impression. Hopefully someone else can confirm this
They look like they will fit but I need to drill a hole - thats no big deal. I was kinda stumped when the two pin connector /and/ the bulb holders were different to the P1 car !

The easiest thing to change is the loom so that I can plug the indicators in :-)

The car is currently wearing T4 black bezels and the old style indicators. Still, no rush, I'll find what I'll need eventually...

JdR
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 13:17   #58
Slevin
Master Member

Default At

Hi Alex

Do you have ambient temperature sensor?
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 13:45   #59
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry, I'm learning on the fly, here. I'm a bit more knowlegeable on the 7xx series :-)

Its a P1 with single headlights. I have picked up some black bezel lights from a P1 t4 (I think). They were pacman's. He offered me the 5 pin and 4 pin. the 5 pins were fitted so I left it as is. I should have gone for the 4 pin, shouldn't I ;-)

However If I have the 4 pin plug that goes into the headlight (and the bulb holders that go into the cones) then that could work too... but I still need the wiring loom too. Bit more hassle as I'll have to remove the lights but I'm gonna have to do that anyway ;-)

They look like they will fit but I need to drill a hole - thats no big deal. I was kinda stumped when the two pin connector /and/ the bulb holders were different to the P1 car !

The easiest thing to change is the loom so that I can plug the indicators in :-)

The car is currently wearing T4 black bezels and the old style indicators. Still, no rush, I'll find what I'll need eventually...

JdR
I am really easy going about this. If you can't find a 5-pin connector from a Phase 1 car, then I can cut the looms for the headlights and the loom for the indicators and you can have them for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
Hi Alex

Do you have ambient temperature sensor?
Sorry, it is the basic model so no....

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:16   #60
GazT4
Diesel Power

What you after for my bits then mate?