Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I want I want I want!!!!

Views : 6208

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 01:24   #51
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
.........they're far too slow.

Their beautiful designs suggest supercar performance, but instead you get 7.4s 0-60 and 140mph top speed.

Very misleading visual design. Hopefully that misleading design will fool other drivers into fearing you!
Maybe it's just me lol but since when was 7.4 slow to 60? That's about the same as a Volvo 850 T5, and 140 is fine because you are not likely to do that kind of speed in the UK

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 01:44   #52
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Maybe it's just me lol but since when was 7.4 slow to 60? That's about the same as a Volvo 850 T5, and 140 is fine because you are not likely to do that kind of speed in the UK
The T5 is nearly 20 years old now though, that just put it all into context. 7.6 secs to 62 for a car which costs 25K is not that special these days, you can go much faster for less but not in a coupe that I can think of, it does look like a faster car :/

You could however get a 2.0 MX5 with similar performance for much less money.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:05   #53
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
The T5 is nearly 20 years old now though, that just put it all into context. 7.6 secs to 62 for a car which costs 25K is not that special these days, you can go much faster for less but not in a coupe that I can think of, it does look like a faster car :/

tbh 7.4 by any standard is decent. I wouldn't say it looks like it has supercar performance either. Really if it's fun to drive and will do 140 it's pretty good in my eyes and would keep me happy. Besides 0-60 doesn't matter in the real world.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:41   #54
thealchemyst
Master Member

If I was in the market for one of these triplets I would deffinately go for the scion fr-s it looks the best and its on sale for only $24200 or £15118 or €18578 which I'm guessing is a whole lot cheaper than its gonna be over here!
You could holiday in the us ship it back tax and register it and still have enough left for a nice Rotrex centrifugal supercharger conversion turning it into the car it should've been in the first place!
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb

Last edited by thealchemyst; Oct 22nd, 2012 at 02:50.
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:32   #55
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Nice litle write up there Daim.

Good to see you find it both comfortable and practicle for your needs. I think I said earlier but it is a car that can grow on you. I never thought very much of it when you first started this thread but it is growing on me.

Sounds like a cracking car, how long for a 70 to 150 sprint? How much is a service? How much extra over your C30 is insurance?

What colour are you going to order too?

The exact same colour. It just looks the best. The car has really grown on me and is simply fantastic.

Insurancewise it isn't that much more expensive than the C30 already is.

Service is around €300/year (every 30k km) which isn't much, as the C30 has a 20k km intervall meaning I need 1,5 services a year... And 1 Volvo service costs around €220-330 (depending on which ones) so that should be about equal.

Roadtax is around €50 higher a year, due to the CO2 emissions (my C30 costs €135/year, the GT86 would be around €180/year).

And exactly that, what you said about it growing on you, is what it has for me... At first I just thought it was a pretty car with areas I didn't really like... But then I got to like it. It appealed QUICKER than the C30 did...

Quote:
So you're smitten then Daim?
Get saving then, but out of interest how much is it in Germany?
I think it would look great in Black I'd imagine, that Copper colour is unique to the GT86 I think. Personally, I'd go for the BRZ in the scobby Blue, what's the price difference between the 2?
The GT86 in my desired configuration would cost €34.000 or with a "Volvo driver discount" as the owner of the Toyota place said, it would be only €29.200 fully loaded. An equally equppied Subaru costs around €2.000 more than the GT86 and doesn't get everything the GT86 gets (as a standard). Thrus, I don't like the Subaru as much as the Toyota

Quote:

Their beautiful designs suggest supercar performance, but instead you get 7.4s 0-60 and 140mph top speed.

Very misleading visual design. Hopefully that misleading design will fool other drivers into fearing you!
The car isn't about speed. It is about handling and fun. ANY company can make a car which accelerates well, but not many which can handle like a gocart returning a good mpg and with neat comfort. I wasn't trialed by any drivers, except an Audi S4 convertible in Mόnster... Who I though thrashed

Oh, and it isn't a supercar. Neither does it look like one nor is it supposed to be one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Daim says he got to 150mph?

And I did... 249 km/h. GPS said: 240 km/h which is spot on 150 mph

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:39   #56
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Speedos are quite inaccurate.
Yes, but if the GPS sat nav say 240 km/h when the speedo is around 249 km/h then I guess 240/1.6 = 150 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywilde07 View Post
if I had a choice between a Toyota GT86 or a Volvo C30... I'd have a Mercedes C55 AMG as I've never been a fan of front wheel drive... I can see it being my next car as Volvo have not got a RWD car in the showroom now... & I'm not a fan of AWD/4x4 either...
Yeah, compare a car which costed a lot more when new with a car cheaper new car If I had the choice between a C55 AMG and an M3 I'd take the Dacia Logan...

Quote:
I see it the same. 7.4s for 0-60 mph is a good figure. Considering it is a 2.0l non turbo engine, it is absolutely fine. If you want a car which accelerates very fast, you buy a totally different car. I doubt any Porsche driver would take a GT86... Compare the prices and the world has a different appearance.

And 140 (from Toyota) or 150 (self driven) are even in the world of compact cars with 300 hp still nice figures. The only difference is: the compact cars still have FWD

Quote:

The T5 may be 20 years old, but it has more HP and more torque... A LOT more torque. Thrus, it is a T aka Turbo 5 cylinder... Remove the T and you get a 2.4i with 170 hp (max)... Wait until the turbo version comes in 2013/2014

And I would never buy a Mazda MX-5. Not because I don't like, but because the car is just too heavy. It is now like a brick... Rigid, heavy, sluggish. The old MX-5 NA attributes have been thrown overboard...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:45   #57
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
tbh 7.4 by any standard is decent. I wouldn't say it looks like it has supercar performance either. Really if it's fun to drive and will do 140 it's pretty good in my eyes and would keep me happy. Besides 0-60 doesn't matter in the real world.
Precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealchemyst View Post
If I was in the market for one of these triplets I would deffinately go for the scion fr-s it looks the best and its on sale for only $24200 or £15118 or €18578 which I'm guessing is a whole lot cheaper than its gonna be over here!
You could holiday in the us ship it back tax and register it and still have enough left for a nice Rotrex centrifugal supercharger conversion turning it into the car it should've been in the first place!
Scion is only available in the US and would require a HUGE lot of cash in Germany, to get it registered. The Subaru isn't mine. The Toyota is. As the Toyota isn't sold in the States, there is no comparisson price.

But if you want to import it to Germany:
1. Import duties as outer EU into the EU
2. VAT of 19% on top of the buying price (new!)
3. Conversion of lighting system and exhaust
4. shipping to Germany (costs €2100 - I've already calculated for another car)

So: €18.578 is the US price.
+ 7% Importduties €1300,46
+ 19% VAT €3.529,82
+ Shipping to Germany €2.100
+ conversion costs (estimate) €4.000
= €29.508,28

And then you have a price which is above that, of a brand new ordered vehicle with all that, what I want...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 14:24   #58
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

I agree with Fenton. Whilst I like this GT86 it needs a few more BHP,and to make it a tad quicker

Quote:
7.4 is not slow per se although to put it into perspective the GT86 is a sports car, and a standard XC60 is a tad of 8 seconds - and thats a diesel two tonner - and doesn't feel overly fast. Polestar the XC60 and its a quicker car overall.

Hark back to earlier Toyotas such as 90's MR2,Celica, and later 2000's Celicas and the performance stats are pretty much the same as this latest GT86.

Lovely car I think though is the GT86, and would I imagine be extremely reliable.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 15:00   #59
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I agree with Fenton. Whilst I like this GT86 it needs a few more BHP,and to make it a tad quicker

7.4 is not slow per se although to put it into perspective the GT86 is a sports car, and a standard XC60 is a tad of 8 seconds - and thats a diesel two tonner - and doesn't feel overly fast. Polestar the XC60 and its a quicker car overall.

Hark back to earlier Toyotas such as 90's MR2,Celica, and later 2000's Celicas and the performance stats are pretty much the same as this latest GT86.

Lovely car I think though is the GT86, and would I imagine be extremely reliable.

Regards
Well the XC60 has a lot of torque as you know. It's a nippy burger

I kind of like cars like the gt86 where you have to work the engine, sounds fun!

Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 15:12   #60
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Well the XC60 has a lot of torque as you know. It's a nippy burger

I kind of like cars like the gt86 where you have to work the engine, sounds fun!
Yeah, but don't mention burgers!! Had a few McD's over the weekend, and am on the road tomorrow, so it will be BK..!!..then back to salad....

XC60 is reasonably fast,and probably could have taken that lunatic woman in that Saab Aero estate if needed..!!.. Just that XC60 drivers are sensible!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote