Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 37144

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 19:18   #51
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogal View Post

Yesterday I tried to drive very economically on a 60 mile drive (not exceeding 2000rpm in any gear) and managed an average of about 47mpg (on the computer at least) which I must admit is not great.

That ties in exactly the same as i got on 4 x 100 mile runs driving exactly like you . Sometimes i think it helps economy to drive a bit more freely using some more rpm to get you up to speed then ease off .
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 16:58   #52
JAJC
JAJC

Default V50 consumption

I got a V50 new in Jan, first tankfull did 44. Over long runs being light footed (2000/2200 rpm in 6th) on moroways etc it will easily do 47. Best I have had is two tankfuls at 52mpg. Round town it gives about 44. On a long run of 50%motorway plus 40% fast country roads i would easily get 47 to 49.

There is a definite way to drive a disel and it is not bootfulls of throttle (the torque on these 2.0Ds is staggering).

All the above are based on topping the tank and the trip meter. Do NOT believe any trip computers - they always flatter.

In comparison my 2.0D X-type Jag gave similar consumption - this is to be expected since it is the same weight and torque. Again, similar driving methods apply - you needed to be lightfooted and think ahead.

My A4 Tdi was much better - never did less than 50 - but boy did it rattle
JAJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 18:14   #53
7050man
Master Member

My running mpg average over 59k miles is 50.6. But I do tend to drive at between 50-60mph and mostly on motorway.

I have on a couple longer runs got an indicated 72mpg on computer that actually worked out to about 68 on paper, but I was trying pretty hard and it was in the summer when fuel is nice and thin.

Incidently I do drive with lights off and aircon normally off too. Around town with a warm engine I can get about 37mpg and iff I drive a mixture of town and motorway speeds then I can get between 42 and 50mpg.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 20:24   #54
Jaytee-ex480

Hey guys I think its an interesting topic and one thats close to my heart I traded my 2001 V40 T4 for the 2.0D V50 same torque figure I understand leading to very similar motorway performance and fantastic "GO" in any gear (bit slow off the lights compared to the t4 being over 2secs adrift 0-60 but once rolling its fun)

I'd like to raise a few points if I could

1) the results that you talk about urban/extra are figures that are achieved using the most basic models with skinny wheels and the most aerodynamic set up (perfect tyre pressures etc no spoilers and def no equipment) rip off the roof rails too cause they cost ya some mpg.

2) the T4 returned some shocking figures (at the time I was very happy with the mpg but time has changed and my priorities have too) the 2.0d gives as near as damn it double the mpg (as I've said for very little real world performance difference guys I have to ask if you 2.0D did 5 or 6 mpg more WHAT WOULD YOU SPEND THE SAVING ON we really must be talking about pennies may be a few pounds over a year sorry to say guys but life really is TOO SHORT

BTW I get around town 38mpg (very small town) and on a recent long trip had a record 44mpg motoway (mostly 85ishmph )

TTFN

Last edited by Jaytee-ex480; Sep 7th, 2008 at 20:26.
Jaytee-ex480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 22:53   #55
Jaytee-ex480

just back in did 390 miles average speed (all on the trip computer) was 53 and the mpg a very reasonable 41.2mpg roughly it was 85% motorway there and back with some duel carriageways etc in the remaining 15%
Jaytee-ex480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 16:40   #56
I DO BIG MILES

Default Fuel for the fire

Hi All.

First post ever!!!!

My 55 plate V50 D sport SE on 18" Medusa's (now running Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics - but more on that another time!!) has done 15,000 miles in the last 3 months - I reset the av' fuel in june and it now reads 48.7 over those 15,000 miles.

Not bad I thought - a mix of motorway and country roads with some London driving as well.

Never been below 43 either.

Hope this helps.

Jez
I DO BIG MILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 17:54   #57
pcsam
Volvo virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsam View Post
well i pick up my new v50 2.D on the 25th of this month . from the advice on this thread it looks like i should be putting on my diving boots for the first 4000 miles then reverting back to my slippers . that way i will loosen the car up a bit.
i hope i get a good one as the cost of fuel is making me cry , i will head the advice on using branded fuel and not the supermarkets crap . but I'm still undecided about revving it up once a day to clear the pipes a bit .

please advise me otherwise ,in-case i have got it all wrong .
well i have had my car for a wile now and i get about 38 to 40 mpg (paper/pen method) i try to keep it under the 2500/ on long trips (2000/2200)and the best tank full i have has is 44mpg . in not that happy about the mpg but the car makes up for it .................
pcsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 18:15   #58
Clan
Experienced Member

what made you pick the 2.0D over the 1.6 D which has potential for realy good consumption ?
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 18:43   #59
s40_kid

Ive just finished my first tankfull of my 2.0D s40 and it worked out at 47mpg with a mixture of motorway and urban driving.

It is a whole lot lower than my golf tdi i swapped for the s40. The s40 is a lovely car apart from the little niggles it has ( creaking seats and door wiring loom ) but the drop in mpg ( approx 10mpg ) is made up for by the torque and the mile crunching abailities of the s40. Im pretty sure the 18" wheels have also had a small effect on mpg.
s40_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 16:51   #60
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

I had a number of V50 2.0D (I think 4 or 5) and ran most of them to 12 - 15k from delivery mileage, the last one only made it to 8k iirc. On nearly all of them I'd see averages of 38-40mpg, as a result I decided that a petrol V70 Classic wasn't much more expensive when my source of cheap V50's retired.

I never drove with a really light foot, but did make sure that on the motorway the cruise control went on, the tyre pressures were noramally run at full weight, over 100mph pressure (made the handling a bit harsh, but the economy was better), and that 6th gear was used as much as possible. In fact I found that it would pull from standstill in 3rd, and 30ish in 6th (forgetful sometimes...)

I always make sure that I use the best fuel I can, filling up on supermarket once in a blue moon, but otherwise running shell most of the time. If I was doing a long run I might put in some super-diesel to clean the engine up.

Are people making sure that they're taking out any dead weight? I'm rubbish as my car nearly always has my kit in the back, and as one of the bags is about 15kg it all adds up quickly. Also I'm lame at remembering to take my roof racks off (and occasionally boats)
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote