Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 AWD Repair

Views : 24259

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:40   #51
Finbo

Got my car back today. Apparentley it was a worn spine sleeve which has been replaced. I'm told the new part is a toughened one. The beval gear was also removed and checked.
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 18:01   #52
glanvils

Unhappy What an amazing resource !

Never really been into forums before, but have my second xc90 & really think it's a great car (and I am hard to please!), although today came back from the volvo dealership with teh smile wiped off my face... seems my 05 plate with 62k on teh clock the garage informs me, has all wheel drive failure..! no power to the rear wheels, but as with everyone else.. no warning lights.. 1.5k they are saying to put it right... vehicle only came off an extended warranty in Dec 07, when they claim & have paper work... all tip top... been considering upgrading to R-design.. with this mega bill is that teh right decision.... dealership service dept mentioned they will put together a goodwill cost given my 3rd volvo... woudl really welcome some sound advice from the experienced guys or gals...

cheers
glanvils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 18:33   #53
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Hmmm this sounds familiar! Join the club (MY05 failed at 50k).

Just make sure that they don't try to charge you for a full angle gear replacement if its not necessary ie. if its just the splined sleeve thats failed (I'd bet a fair whack its just this too). From the sounds of it with the 1.5k you quote, this may be the route they're taking already... If its just the sleeve then this is an £80 part and a good indy would replace a half the cost of dealer. Having said that the sleeve can be a demon to remove from the tranny case. Oh, and make sure all the seals are replaced at the same time too.

Good luck.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 18:39   #54
glanvils

How much did it end up costing, as mine was diagnosed today.. they are qouting 1.5k..!
Old May 14th, 2009, 18:41   #55
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

£390 at a dealer (under warranty). I'd get them to justify it detailing why a new AG is needed? They very rarely actually fail as a unit themselves.

Last edited by Rockhopper; May 14th, 2009 at 18:53.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockhopper For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2009, 19:03   #56
glanvils

Default Thanks

Cheres for the advice Rockhopper... just feel let down.. the guy in the dealership said " well it's a 40k car.. so bills will be expensive..!" I replied it's a 40k car, so I expect some decent quality in teh parts & service with a lot more focus on teh customer..! seems some members have been successful in getting volvo to pay a large part... seeing as mine is full dealer service history & they signed off the extended warranty check in Nov...I will be pashing that...!
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:53   #57
Finbo

Like Rockhopper, mine just needed the spine sleeve replaced. Mine was covered under warranty and cost approx £225 to replace, plus I got a new toughened sleeve so hopefully it won't fail in the future. My dealership also checked the beval/angle gear and said that was all OK.

So, like Rockhopper suggests the £1500 bill should be the worse case scenario and in many instances it is only the spine sleeve that needs replacing. I would speak to the dealership about this and see what they say. Also, use the info you've gleaned on this forum as well. If you have any doubts, go to another dealer for a second opinion, or threaten to do so - this might get them thinking!

At least they've come forward and said there could be some goodwill payment from Volvo. Reading other forum members experiences, it seems if you're willing to negotiate rather than accept the first offer from Volvo you may get a higher contribution, especially citing your end of warranty check a few months ago and this is your third Volvo.

Best of luck!
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 21:19   #58
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
To have a main dealer repace the whole box costs about £1500 I think.
Roy, just because I have it in front of me lol...

A quote, from Rybrook to supply and fit an exchange gearbox to my XC90 D5 - ........

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jun 11th, 2009 at 21:23.
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 22:18   #59
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Ouch!!!!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 23:00   #60
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Ouch!!!!!!

Yes - for the finance company.....

If it does need this, then they have agreed to either pay, or for me to arrange a replacement vehicle on a "nil invoice" basis...

Ie, I get to choose anpther car upto the amount outstanding on the finance agreement, less interest - so approx £13k, and they swap it, finance agreement remains the same, still same finish date, just a different vehicle....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote