Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 934275

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 21:42   #6021
Mertz

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186319265...temCondition=4

5 mins with a soldering iron and £25 for a daughterboard somehow make £200... Absolute joker!
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mertz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 00:36   #6022
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I have not researched this at all Dave, but it seems logical that you may well be right about the declining target audience for 1940/50s motor cars. Pre-war cars can now be picked up for much less than a decade ago for exactly that reason.

I’m not sure I’d have the patience to run a pre-war vehicle, but an up market and in its day technologically advanced 1950s car like the Bentley, or as you suggest a Jaguar or RR, might just fill the gap. I need to get that nice big garage/workshop built at the ‘Vegas place this summer, then have a look around at the market in the coming autumn/winter.

Alan

Addendum: it will be interesting to see how much this 1956 Bentley S1 makes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404822887...mis&media=COPY

I’ll keep an eye on it to get a flavour for the way the market is heading.
Could that Bentley be on a delivery truck from Gainsborough to Skeg?

It looks a lot better than the one that went through that auction and seems to have had a fair amount of recommissioning recently.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 04:59   #6023
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertz View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186319265...temCondition=4

5 mins with a soldering iron and £25 for a daughterboard somehow make £200... Absolute joker!
The 7/9 world has it's fair share of scammers and meths heads.🤣🤣🤣

How you getting on with reading the ECU chips? Remember before you write an LH2.4 chip, you need the LH checksum thing selected in the XDF header info window in TunerPro!!!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 06:17   #6024
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Could that Bentley be on a delivery truck from Gainsborough to Skeg?

It looks a lot better than the one that went through that auction and seems to have had a fair amount of recommissioning recently.
... it is only at £7,100 with 4 days of the auction to go Dave - if it met its reserve below 15 grand... I might have to buy it!

I have to be sensible here though. I'm moving from a large 4 bed detached house with a double garage, a carport and hard standing for 6 cars to a 3 bed bungalow with a single garage and gravelled standing for perhaps 4 cars. At the very least I need to erect a carport for GAM on the side of the garage (which is on my 'to do in the next month or so' list) and before buying a Bentley like that I'd really have to get my 1 1/2 car workshop/garage constructed in the back garden (that is on my 'to do in the next 6 months' list).

I rather suspect the Cadillac Candy White Bentley may go through a few auctions before an eBay buyer meets the sellers expectations of a fair reserve - so it might even still be for sale when I get the garaging sorted out at 'Vegas... so we'll see.

That is a mighty fine looking motor car and might compliment my gaggle of vehicles well:
  • Skoda Superb diesel estate: for towing trailers, moving dogs and trips to Glasgow.
  • Volvo Amazon: for day to day driving around 'Vegas - as far as Louth,
  • Bentley S1: to be driven on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings.
  • Triumph Scrambler: sensible bike for proper journeys - like Scarborough for fish and chips on a Friday evening in the summer.
  • Honda Goldwing: sofa on wheels for cruising around the Lincolnshire Wolds and parking by the seafront.
  • Royal Enfield Pegasus: kept perfect for the annual airborne pilgrimages to Arnhem and the National Arboretum to pay my respects.
  • Honda CB200: toy.

If I can achieve all of that at 'Vegas, with the garaging and hard standing to support by the end of the year that would be some achievement. Bob, Millicent and I would be pretty happy.

Last edited by Othen; Feb 29th, 2024 at 06:23.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:45   #6025
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Alan,

Good luck with the Bentley watching, you never know, you may just secure it…

The missing fuel filler flap is perhaps an indication it may be just a tad thirsty

The Bentley stablemates in the garage don’t look too shabby either, oh to have space like that would make us dangerous 😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:47   #6026
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Alan,

Good luck with the Bentley watching, you never know, you may just secure it…

The missing fuel filler flap is perhaps an indication it may be just a tad thirsty

The Bentley stablemates in the garage don’t look too shabby either, oh to have space like that would make us dangerous 😀

Cheers
Steve
I shudder to think!😱
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:47   #6027
Steve 940
Premier Member

Oh my……

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256428251...Bk9SR5zXlMa-Yw

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:49   #6028
Moomoo
VOC Member

Near mint!😈
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 11:04   #6029
ITSv40
VOC Member

I think the appeal of classic cars is very much a generational thing.

When I first got interested in the classic scene as a teenager- early '70s - there was still a lot of pre war cars around. I never really saw the appeal as they were of an age alien to me. My interest was post war and RR/Bentley in particular . I still have a love for them and Bristol 410, Gordon Keeble, Jensen CV8 and Alvis TD21. Oh and not forgetting the curve ball Citroen DS21.

My son who is 36, was brought up on a diet of Max Power and Grand Theft Auto and had a keen interest in cars of his period. He restored an XR3i cabby to concours together with my input. When it came to me selling the Rolls I suggested he might like to drive it home after taking the sale photos as he had never driven it. I was met with a look of distain and the remark, ''why would I want to do that, it is far too old''.

Regarding the white Bentley, it does look much better than the black one and has had quite considerable expenditure. The white paintwork and poor retrim will detract from the desirability. Both cars being 1956 will not have power steering - unless retro fitted - which is a significant drawback. Power steering was standard from 1957.

The main thing to look for is rusty bodywork, front wings, inner and outer sills, rear wings and boot floor pan. The box section chassis also rusts on top where it swings above the rear axle. There is only about 11/2'' gap between the chassis and boot floor which necessitates the removal of the body to repair correctly, also, front body mounts below the A pillar rust badly. A good source for parts and prices is www.flyingspares.com

The two attachments show the factory original interior in my Cloud III after 55 years and 140,000 miles. That is what I would consider 'nice', not concours, but nice usable condition and what most buyers are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 9.jpg (154.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg pic 10.jpg (154.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ITSv40; Feb 29th, 2024 at 11:32.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 11:25   #6030
Moomoo
VOC Member

Two wheeler Bentley with , “ you know who “, written all over it!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304968114...Bk9SR-7Ss8m-Yw