Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What type of Volvo do you own?

Views : 81799

Replies : 693

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What series Volvo do you own?
P1800 41 1.36%
Amazon 62 2.06%
140/160 35 1.16%
200 196 6.52%
400 91 3.03%
700/900 439 14.60%
300 51 1.70%
850/S/V/C70 1,182 39.31%
S/V40/50 626 20.82%
S60/80 436 14.50%
XC60/90 134 4.46%
PV444/544 10 0.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3007. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:05   #671
NigeS

Wife, two children and three cars, no beard but first Volvo so perhaps I might get the urge to grow some facial hair.

First ever car I drove was a Volvo though, was around 1982/3 on a beach in Wales somewhere, I was possibly 9 or 10 and had been pestering my dad to let me drive his car. It was a 245 GLE Estate in silver, even remember the reg number. LRC963W, the others he had:
Brown 245DL (WTO197S)
Another Silver 245GLT on a Y Reg
Then a 760GLE (A38 ATV) I learned to drive in this at the correct age.
NigeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 22:58   #672
20lbpaul

Had my volvo V70 for two days now. Well chuffed with it. Yes got a fuzzy chin and its grey. Will be using the V70 to lug all my carping gear around. Loads of room for that. Any other carpers out there?
20lbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:11   #673
Spike1918
Looney

Used to be yes, pb of 32.12 mirror from a private Gloucestershire syndicate water.
Had pike to 26.04 and perch to over 4lb too. Plus not something many angler folk would brag about but I`m certain I caught a record Gudgeon from a private ex trout stock pond in Cumbria, the thing was huge for a gudgeon perhaps half a pound or so!
Nowadays I don`t fish at all, became disilusioned with it all to be honest.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:46   #674
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
Used to be yes, pb of 32.12 mirror from a private Gloucestershire syndicate water.
Had pike to 26.04 and perch to over 4lb too. Plus not something many angler folk would brag about but I`m certain I caught a record Gudgeon from a private ex trout stock pond in Cumbria, the thing was huge for a gudgeon perhaps half a pound or so!
Nowadays I don`t fish at all, became disilusioned with it all to be honest.
I think fishing has become like everything else these days - relies too much on technology; you see guys lugging huge amounts of tackle along river banks - when I first started out if you couldn't get the gear on your bicycle you'd had it!

I still use my, apparently now collectable fishing tackle, when fishing for Carp locally in a pretty little lake with my Hardy Richard Walker Carp rod, a Mitchell 300 or Match reel, and the rest of my gear in a bag - no trolley or battery powered gizmo's for me.

Saw that fishing programme with Geoffrey Palmer the other day, and they intereviewed a chap (can't recall his name - but he's well known) and he has this keep it simple sentiment.

Get back to the simple unadulterated pleasure of angling and read Isaac Walton's book.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:02   #675
mixa

Have had my V70SE for 7 days and now wonder why i never got one earlier it is great in every way and the misses loves it, it has a couple of little niggles like a damp patch passenger footwell right in the middle no apparent cause and had the low coolant light flash on a couple of times so stopped to check and was showing just above min slowly opened cap and level went to normal max so ran engine whilst watching header cap off for 5 mins and flow seemed ok stayed at max mark so will keep an eye on that and inspect further into were the damp patch came from as it was under the rubber mat dead center of foot well and not wet infront or behind area ? any ideas would be greatly recieved and investigated
mixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:09   #676
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa View Post
Have had my V70SE for 7 days and now wonder why i never got one earlier it is great in every way and the misses loves it, it has a couple of little niggles like a damp patch passenger footwell right in the middle no apparent cause and had the low coolant light flash on a couple of times so stopped to check and was showing just above min slowly opened cap and level went to normal max so ran engine whilst watching header cap off for 5 mins and flow seemed ok stayed at max mark so will keep an eye on that and inspect further into were the damp patch came from as it was under the rubber mat dead center of foot well and not wet infront or behind area ? any ideas would be greatly recieved and investigated
The damp floor seems strange.

Take the floormat out of the footwell for a while and see if it dries out on its own.

Might just be a case of the carpets getting washed before it sold and the mat replaced before it had time to dry out.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:14   #677
bob12
bob12

As some of us have made a slight deviation into fishing ... I thought I would post this is a pic of my daughter and my 3 year old grandson fishing 'New Zealand style' near where they live at Queenstown. I don't think that they have ever caught anything, but they are enthusiastic. However, a friend dropped of a nice salmon last weekend for their dinner as he had caught too many!!

Cheers,

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing NZ Style.jpg (145.4 KB, 4 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:22   #678
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
As some of us have made a slight deviation into fishing ... I thought I would post this is a pic of my daughter and my 3 year old grandson fishing 'New Zealand style' near where they live at Queenstown. I don't think that they have ever caught anything, but they are enthusiastic. However, a friend dropped of a nice salmon last weekend for their dinner as he had caught too many!!

Cheers,

Bob.
Sod's law, Bob

Hopefully not from the same stretch of river, as that would smart a bit. :-)

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 22:30   #679
getcarter1972

40 year old dad of 2.4 here. glasses, thinning hair and goatee beard. but dont let that fool you. completely mental and cant understand how i have done reasonably well. V50 2.4i and obsessed with her. ocd. cyclist too, but currently confined to the couch with an extremely painful snapped rib, brought about by a failed evel knievel type stunt aimed at impressing my six year old son. didnt quite work out - we run our own business, luckily - or unluckily, coz no workie means no payie - so no time off despite aforementioned crippling rib of doom. ermmm.
getcarter1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getcarter1972 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 22:37   #680
Logan360
MR300

Think i fit in the more odd category. 20yo with an 850R (most common category) and have my 2nd, 4th and 5th 360. all have been GLT with the exception of one GL hatch. no kids but 5 cats.
Logan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logan360 For This Useful Post: