Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 78089

Replies : 1373

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2023, 03:43   #671
dobin164

Default its a NO from me

https://youtube.com/shorts/ixERsRCYR...hYXtxs7J25Ahjp
dobin164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 08:21   #672
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobin164 View Post
A no to what ? A nice new Tesla car or an old Russian truck carrying 30 propane gas bottles, which is what the video is of.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tesla-on-fire/

I’ve said before, it’s a fact that the energy released during the destructive thermal runaway of an electric car battery will be around 10% of that released from the the fuel in the tank of a similar sized diesel or petrol car. Don’t take my word for it, do the math yourself, if you can….

There is an idiot population in the world that make or recaption videos like this for either click bait or to deceive people into believing something that isn’t true. Unfortunately there is an even bigger population of sheep who propagate this stuff which is clearly ridiculous and without checking its authenticity.

I don’t like electric cars either but I have an even bigger disdain for the faintly ridiculous parts of the smear campaign against them.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 8th, 2023 at 08:37.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 03:53   #673
dobin164

Default oops

it says Tesla Explodes 16 times
i was sent it from a friend
appologies from me

Admin please delete my post

Last edited by dobin164; Dec 9th, 2023 at 04:01.
dobin164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobin164 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 09:39   #674
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
appologies from me

There’s bucket loads. Of anti electric car propaganda sloshing around social media. I’ve been on a few discussion groups where the rubbish and misinformation is epic. I nearly bought a V60 Hybrid five years ago so I did some swotting on battery life etc. The much hated Prius was used to study the longterm life of the battery packs on them and they exceeded expectations of Toyota’s estimates. I come very close to buying the V60 buuuuut…. Living on a terraced street made charging it a royal PITA so I bought a D4 Cross Country instead.
The issue in my view is manufacturers are rushing the tech to market to beat the deadlines set by various Governments and there’s issues. The next issue will be disposal and recycling of the battery packs etc. Then there’s the infrastructure to meet demand that’s still very much in progress. Reliable chargers and the support when they fail. Lots and lots of spinning plates so to speak. This is not going to happen overnight for definite. I’ll probably be looking at a hybrid next.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 10:39   #675
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
appologies from me

Ok - having slept on it my post in reply to yours was a bit OTT, and it was wrong of me to call you a sheep (by association) and I do apologise for that.

But the point remains, probably well over half of the stuff being chucked around the internet about anything that is remotely controversial or new is click bait bollox... so please check out first.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 10:44   #676
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Ok - having slept on it my post in reply to yours was a bit OTT, and it was wrong of me to call you a sheep (by association) and I do apologise for that.

But the point remains, probably well over half of the stuff being chucked around the internet about anything that is remotely controversial or new is click bait bollox... so please check out first.
A lesson I learned many moons ago. Snopes is usually a good myth buster

TT
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 09:47   #677
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I don't think there's any need for embarrassment about sharing things which prove to be false (as there's so much of it about), but it's a timely reminder to us all to check (as best we can) what we're sharing for truth. I think it can remain as a good example of some of the anti-EV propaganda which is going around (along with the genuine issues associated with EVs, which I don't think anyone is blind to).

As my friend likes to put it "Well I've got an EV and you haven't, so you must know better what it's like to live with one"

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 11:47   #678
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I don't think there's any need for embarrassment about sharing things which prove to be false (as there's so much of it about), but it's a timely reminder to us all to check (as best we can) what we're sharing for truth. I think it can remain as a good example of some of the anti-EV propaganda which is going around (along with the genuine issues associated with EVs, which I don't think anyone is blind to).

As my friend likes to put it "Well I've got an EV and you haven't, so you must know better what it's like to live with one"

cheers

James
Anything like that I like to swot a bit and try to cut through the untruths. It’s sometimes difficult to separate the myth from fact but as always, truth always floats to the surface

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 18:23   #679
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Thong's comment about living on a terraced street reminded me of this picture which has been around on the web for a bit

The line of bins on the pavement tell me it is in Milton Keynes (whole different Fbook furore ) but I can't work out where it is to be able to drive down the street and check if it's a real picture or a photoshopped one so I hesitated to post it. One school of thought is that it's a clever idea, the other says the cable doesn't look like it's really plugged in, it would be a safety hazard, the cable would get nicked etc.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 22:25   #680
Simmy
Premier Member

cable channels are available now for across pavements they are a narrow channel with rubber blade type closures the need to be installed by a contractor with certification for digging up pavements
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote