Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1090451

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2015, 22:01   #6941
gatos
Premier Member

Had a visit from Baldmosher last night and we sorted out a few silly bits on his car, including the bloody recirculation switch. For some odd reason, the access was a lot more limited on Baldmosher's car and it was a lot harder than other times I did the same thing. Anyway, came up with a new way to access those screws, that makes life a bit easier. Instead of cutting the panel out, I made two holes to access two of the screws and used a pre-existing square hole to access the 3rd one...

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 05:50   #6942
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
fitted colour coded door handles, without the chrome bit though

Also fitted an after mkt front grill, fine mesh type............... not keen to be honest, so will go back to standard eggcrate

Grab yourself some Plasti Dip and as Bradley Walsh would say
"Get in there!"

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 06:27   #6943
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Thought I'd see where the car would take me today, like most days
Are they the Simpsons' clouds

Ended up here, like most days

Left a minimal footprint along here, like most days

To arrive here a few seconds later to stretch my arms and legs for a few km's
like most days

Turned around and what the heck
there's a bloke trying to encroach on my space

Yesterday my car took me here, like most other days

Admittedly as it has been a bit too warm to be taking photos lately, so did I pull these from the archives having been taken almost six months ago to the day smack dab in the middle of winter
like most other days

Last edited by happy diver; Jan 15th, 2015 at 06:48. Reason: felt like it
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 08:41   #6944
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Lovely happy diver I'd be on that beach BBQ going swimming in the sea lol living the Australian dream, I can see why us poms want too live out there in auz. And it's empty lol not another person in sight , too get a empty beach here you have too hire a jet bike or take a water craft too a secluded beach that no one else can get too lol only accessible by water.

Last edited by kieran40; Jan 15th, 2015 at 08:48.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 13:03   #6945
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Seriously, I am considering taking a job in Aus after seeing that! However, at the back of my mind is the realisation that realistically, I would only be able to see my parents 20 more times before they die. Not sure it'd work for us. Maybe a holiday then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksy View Post
Wheel alignment, and changed some parts prior that ... tire rod ends.
Need to do something about squeaking int the back... i think anti roll bar bushings are to blame ... and it worsened in the cold weather... Now it squeaks on every road "imperfection"
Wow. Am I suffering from split personality disorder? I AM TYLER DURDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
I quite like it, but not enough moose for my liking. I might suggest it to Dave Barton and see if he'll send me a couple of mooses as a thank you for my amazing idea. (LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Had a visit from Baldmosher last night and we sorted out a few silly bits on his car, including the bloody recirculation switch. For some odd reason, the access was a lot more limited on Baldmosher's car and it was a lot harder than other times I did the same thing. Anyway, came up with a new way to access those screws, that makes life a bit easier. Instead of cutting the panel out, I made two holes to access two of the screws and used a pre-existing square hole to access the 3rd one...
Best night out I've had this year!

Photo of holes to follow as soon as I get on my own laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Mechanical:
n/s track rod end? wobbly steering (this one is quite annoying but passed MOT)
Tuning boxes (I have two, Italian Box and Dragon Box to test)
Air con re-gassing (routine, and also starting to smell a bit for some reason)
Rear o/s creak from suspension bush?
Front(?) n/s creak from wheel hub or caliper?
Possibly rear calipers causing both the above?
'Flat spots' on acceleration (MAF? N75? Something weird? New MAF to fit to eliminate possibility)
Gearbox fluid change

Interior:
Rattly o/s left leg carpet trim (VERY annoying)
Steering column cowl wobbly/loose
Loose/damaged plastic boot trims: n/s C+D piece, o/s C piece, bottom edge cover
Fit USB socket for Grom
Swap cabling for phone dock (USB/3.5mm split cable)
o/s heated seat not working
air recirculation motor clicking
seatbelt warning buzzer (should be a clicker!)
handbrake is quite tired -- possibly rear calipers?

Exterior:
Rear wiper starting to butterfly
Headlamps wiper/spray not working both sides
n/s windscreen spray jet loose
o/s/f chrome handle broken
refurb wheels
Bumper scrapes and scuffs (£170 quoted)
Car park scuffs down both sides (£20 "per panel" quoted but there are only about 10 tiny scuffs in the lacquer) and a couple of very tiny dents to pull out -- I hate careless people in car parks.
Treat rust spot on o/s/f door seam weld
Treat rusty bits on front wiper arms (black Hammerite)
Waxoyl/Dinitrol underneath -- I've grounded it 3 times last year!
Paint brake calipers & carriers
Some changes to that list thanks to Gatos

Last edited by baldmosher; Jan 15th, 2015 at 13:07.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 19:32   #6946
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Annual test day, ITV, passed with only an advisory on a rear service brake imbalance (less than 30%). However I did notice fluctuations on the front pad effort which indicates slightly warped discs. A job for later, either skimmed (€15 each) or maybe new. New sticker on the windscreen!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 20:25   #6947
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Ш цфы вушмштп рщьу ершы цщтэе вщ
This won't do, fell asleep with my hand on my mouse.

It had been a bit bleak over the last few days, my bleak means lots of grey sky with
sporadic sun and a wet heat in the late 20s. Seriously needed a severe vitamin D hit.

This morning was much the same but I had been bolsterd by the forum, and a brief
for us exchange with Sir gatos, and then before 8am over a fifteen minute period
a fierce sun appeared as the clouds disappeared, I start running around the house
like a kid, It's beach time.

I was driving home, it was late morning, trying to figure out what I had to, wanted to do
for the rest of the day, had a pretty good idea, and none of it was really anything taxing.
Made a detour which makes for a pleasant change, to say g'day to the O ring people and
pick up my latest order. As you can imagine, I'd be pretty good at taxing these blokes.
They had to get me 3 from Melbourne, some from somewhere else, and three from Perth.
That's thousands of miles overnight.
The dude charges me less than trade and refuses a tip?

So the day progresses, stop in at the post office to pick up a parcel, oh it's my aftermarket
T4 front indicators, oh well at least now I can pretend. I hope I never come across one of
the T4 forum boys, or girls at the traffic lights. I fiddle around in the workshop, it's actually
a narrow laundry, one of my nesting places that I normally call the shed, should I fit them
or should I wait for the eggcrate to arrive, finally after two and a half years, decided and
have the bucks to transform the front of the car, a new lease on life for both of us.

What about the headlights? I'll think about that later.
I'm sorting out the O rings and X rings, and some seals and some bearings, what the heck
it might look interesting to transform the car piece by piece.

The thing is because an indicator change is quick I didn't bother wearing
my asbestos soled thongs and susequently seared a 40 degree plus piece of broken free
pebblemix stuff into the ball of my foot. And the car looks pretty weird
with black indigatos with silver vision bulbs silver headlights and a waterfall grille

So it's computer time and were back here again

"I'll compile a post," pretty much a mechanical job, got lost in the photos thought I'd
prime some folks to come over it's not hard is it, but it is.

My upholsterer and wheel welder are poms completely rubbish you almost have to guide
their hands.

My last two diving tank purchases were from poms, really great nice funny smart people
one has bought himself a piece of paradise even by our standards out the back of the
Gold Coast a really unique score.
The other has been here 15 years goes back for a month every year but now has
to urgently return to sort out some "family issues" yep they will try and hold you back
every time.
My front end bloke ex mod spent time in Northern Ireland really down to earth top bloke
though there are some over there that will always disagree.
We incorporate cans of 'Jack" into pricing.

It's really just a Queensland thing, our slogan is "Perfect for one day better the next."
In fact it is "perfect for one day asleep the rest!" The state government has just called
the earliest election in history and one of their platforms if re elected is to keep discussion
of daylight savings off the agenda (make sound with mouth to imitate duelling banjos.)
"The extra hour of sun will fade the curtains."
"The cows will not put out for milking and the farmer will be cranky because he has to
be up an hour earlier or something."
"The children will not go to bed." Yeah right, if you were fortunate enough to have the,
outside in the first place they will have to come inside at 6pm because it is pitch black
to put on the few kilo's they had just spent keeping at bay.

There was a 40 yr oldish guy, not sick or in a wheel chair operated by mouth, but walking
on a zebra cossing in a big shopping centre, up the road from the second beach, car park
a couple of days ago, I had half a dozen cars behind me, the guy was so slow I'm sure he
was contributing to London congestion well you are about 10 or something hours behind
and you don't want to fall behind more.
I really wanted to cruise past him wind down the window and in a controlled sympathetic
voice, suggest that if he slowed down any further his heart would stop.

and then
I wondered if it was a reasonable thing to post a beach post on a predominantly
United Bleakdom centric forum. I was quickly running out of things to say, yeah
and my fingers were hovering like birds like in the movies, send delete send delete send
and it was done.
After all I'm hopefully just trying to open some eyes spread some information and stir things up.
Right?

So I found a red pebble and one japanese chopstick with nowhere to put them whilst swimming
and walking and romping so the speedos grew an extra testicle and I poked the stick into my
rapidly depleting man bun, that I have been cultivating to get my hair out of the way at work
since the Toecutter, Mad Max (1979) not some fashion statement from last year or Seikhism.
Cool image can you picture it, and I was just now rummaging around in between typing this
and other things and I hear a rapid click click click click click click click like the rapid fire staccato
of some kind of high pitched SMG and the bloody chopstick is still there and I just poked it in
the ceiling fan, I'm tallish. I hope I don't poke someone in the eye, maybe in the top of the head
if they're lucky.

Things after all around here are pretty unstable.

Oh, the Russian is for trying to translate some military diving stuff manuals

Well it's 0600 the bloody neighbour, dog is barking
think I might see where the car takes me.

Come over. Make it perfect for the rest.

Last edited by happy diver; Jan 15th, 2015 at 20:33. Reason: sorry no pitchkas this time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 21:36   #6948
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Happy diver youre nuts lmao but I like it
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 22:21   #6949
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Happy diver youre nuts lmao but I like it
Like an Australian Skyship, but funny and doesn't mention oil samples!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 11:09   #6950
Matt86
Premier Member

Had a chuckle to myself yesterday as my friends boyfriend tried to argue that his car was better and faster than mine.

He only had a 1.4 fiesta that he "modified" and fit blacked out windows, spoiler, turbo, twin pot calipers and an exhaust that sounded like it came off a mustang.

He was convinced that my "old" volvo was a slow old mans car even though I tried to tell him otherwise so he wanted to test it.....

I'm still waiting for him to catch up.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage