Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49836

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 21:53   #61
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy View Post
That's a heck of current draw for a car that is switched off - it should be in milliamps draw, not almost 1 amp. Did you allow 15 minutes after switching off and removing the key? It takes this length of time for everything to shut down - it also is a good feature in that if you inadvertantly leave something switched on when leaving the car it will switch off after the 15 minute time period.
If you confirm that you waited the relevant time before checking the current draw, you definately have something in the car that is not switching off. A way of finding out is to remove the fuses one by one until you find the one that stops the current draw.
it equates to about 13watts. how much would it be to run the alarm, clock and other items - radio memory etc?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:15   #62
gordongreenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
it equates to about 13watts. how much would it be to run the alarm, clock and other items - radio memory etc?
Yuor right is must be milliamps. I am not technical and don't really understand technical things. Just know it stings a bit if touching live wires
gordongreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 08:59   #63
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongreenman View Post
Yuor right is must be milliamps. I am not technical and don't really understand technical things. Just know it stings a bit if touching live wires
I assume that you disconnected the battery and put the multimeter in line between the battery and the disconnected wire to get this reading?

I agree that 0.9 amps seems rather high for a current draw with the vehicle switched off
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:43   #64
gordongreenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I assume that you disconnected the battery and put the multimeter in line between the battery and the disconnected wire to get this reading?

I agree that 0.9 amps seems rather high for a current draw with the vehicle switched off
It was the garage that gave me the figure. I just didn't get/understand the amps vs Milliamps bit
gordongreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:42   #65
leema022

Quote:
Originally Posted by elch77 View Post
Hi leema022,

What can you tell us about the usage of things like bluetooth, iPod etc.? Did you use it before parking the car? Any special configuration of your car (car alarm)?

Please let us know what the guys from the Volvo workshop say or do?

elch77
After Volvo assistence jumpstarted my car, I drove to the Volvo workshop. They checked my battery and told me it was okay. But still they replaced my battery with a new one...the car is not been driven for 4 days now, so after my return I will see how it is on tuesday.
I have an Ipod connected and bluetooth. Also as a precaution I switched off radio/navigation and interior lights just to be sure ( this is what i have been doing for the last weeks)
Keep you posted!!
leema022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 14:45   #66
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

If it really is 0.9amps with everything switched off then an average battery that had been fully charged would be 50% discharged in 2 days & may well not then start the car. That cannot be how it is meant to be.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 18:44   #67
elch77

Quote:
Originally Posted by leema022 View Post
After Volvo assistence jumpstarted my car, I drove to the Volvo workshop. They checked my battery and told me it was okay. But still they replaced my battery with a new one...the car is not been driven for 4 days now, so after my return I will see how it is on tuesday.
I have an Ipod connected and bluetooth. Also as a precaution I switched off radio/navigation and interior lights just to be sure ( this is what i have been doing for the last weeks)
Keep you posted!!
And did the car start? Any news?
elch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 21:05   #68
husky125

For the second time car failed to open due to completly flat battery after standing for 3 days with radio off this time. Volvo assitance soon appeared and jump started the car and thought it was a faulty battery.
Car went in on Monday and the battery was ok, but they found a similiar fault was caused by a software problem, turning on an item at random.
Yet another software upgrade and we will see what happens, but now carry jumps leads in boot.
I can put up with all the recalls, but not be able to start your car leaves me speechless.
husky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 20:15   #69
elch77

Hey tomto147 & leema022,

What about the status of your battery problems. Could it be solved? What was done? Please keep us updated!

THX,
elch77
elch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 13:24   #70
lillia
VOC Member

I completely agree with those above who have pointed out that the electrical fixtures in a typical (?) Volvo will very rapidly run the battery down if these are running while the engine is switched off.

In the nearly three months since I have had my car, the battery has run flat twice (the radio and most of the electricals worked, the car just would not start - there was just this clicking sound when the key was turned).

On the first occasion, I was having the car hand washed and spent the time listening to the radio and flicking the channels on the television. The car had to be jump-started to get me out of the way of the other drivers waiting to have their cars rinsed, much to my embarassment.

I later found a note/warning in the handbook that stated that operating the television when the engine is not running will drain the battery. After that, I made sure I switched the television off the minute I had switched off the engine.

The second time, however, was when I undertook to wash and clean the car myself. Mindful of what had happened the last time, I removed the key from the ignition, which meant that the radio and TV were off. The only lights that came on were the lower interior lights as I opened and closed the doors. I dusted mats, vacuumed front and back and boot, wiped the windows, windscreen and door linings. After wiping the rubber on the doors, I left them open so that everything could dry properly while I worked on the tyres, thinking to avoid having a musty smell in the car afterwards. Bad, bad idea.

The minute I turned the key I realised what had happened. Same clicking noise. Middle of the night, in the middle of a small town overseas, had to ask a neighbour to jump start the car. He, being the owner of an 850, was very sympathetic. He explained that he had once been forced to walk home from deep in the forest after his battery had run flat because an interior light had somehow come on while he was away working for a few hours.

It should be noted that the battery was pronounced sound after a major service in March. The first drainage occurred less than a week later (which naturally led me to assume that the battery was faulty - it was not), and the second just over a month later. The whole process of cleaning the inside of the car took approximately 40 minutes. All four doors were open simultaneously for no more than 15 minutes.

I've learnt my lesson.

The last time I had the car cleaned I simply decided not to tempt fate and explained that I had to leave the engine running while they worked on the inside, unless they were prepared to jump-start it afterwards. Awkward, but it did wonders for my peace of mind. I did, however, envy the other drivers who could have all four doors and the boot open during the cleaning process without a care in the world!

On the other hand, the longest I've left the car parked is 4 days, and it has jumped to life immediately every time.