Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smithy's 940 Dyno Videos

Views : 20548

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2012, 16:17   #61
smithy
VOC Member

the car will be hitting 350 whp no probs in the next 6 weeks
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 16:30   #62
popuptoaster
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
this is a graph from last year i think november it was a totally standard engine ,standard ecus,t38 hybrid and a cmd unit that controls the fuel.but i didnot connect the maf cut so i was hitting fuel cut at 4200 rpm.i will find the dyno run for the video very soon.if anybody knows anything about turbos then they will know that the t38 hybrid isnt even working at 17 psi witch this graph was at .the turbo does not work properly till it gets to above 24 psi.

Whats the fuel cut out command unit? is it easily available?

Its ok, if its the zenner diode trick just found it on turbo bricks.

Last edited by popuptoaster; Mar 27th, 2012 at 16:36.
popuptoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 18:30   #63
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
Whats the fuel cut out command unit? is it easily available?

Its ok, if its the zenner diode trick just found it on turbo bricks.
no im not using that mate im using a dynojet cmd unit that i can map the fuel system and the maf signals and a boost solanoid but i only connected the fuel map and that rolling road was only the 1st map we did mate.but everything else will be connected up now so i can properly map the car
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 18:56   #64
popuptoaster
Master Member

Quote:
no im not using that mate im using a dynojet cmd unit that i can map the fuel system and the maf signals and a boost solanoid but i only connected the fuel map and that rolling road was only the 1st map we did mate.but everything else will be connected up now so i can properly map the car
Aah right, no need for all that for me just yet i think.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 19:42   #65
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
Aah right, no need for all that for me just yet i think.
not yet for u but in the future u never know because i know u have plains mate and i im only interested in whp too
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 22:14   #66
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
the t38 hybrid isnt even working at 17 psi witch this graph was at .the turbo does not work properly till it gets to above 24 psi.
I have to take issue with that.

A turbo can be working, and working hard at ANY psi - just because it's a large (ish) turbo does not mean it needs to kick out high boost numbers to be 'working'. Most truck turbos are larger than T38's but will only run 18-30psi flat out depending on circumstance.

Equally, high boost pressure does not mean the turbo is working more efficiently, or even providing a lot of air into the engine. If you're ramming the charged air down a 2" pipe (for example) into an engine you'll get a high boost pressure but a low cfm figure. Use a 3" pipe/intake and the boost pressure will drop but you may flow more air.

It's all to do with the size of the turbo in relation to the amount of air required, the ability of the engine to provide enough exhaust gas to spool it, the charge air temps, effectiveness of intercooler, efficiency of exhaust system to remove the gases, size of pipework, size of intercooler etc. You may well find your T38 at 24+psi is operating outside of its efficiency ratings given the rest of the package.

I see the dyno readout was done at HLM - general consensus is subtract 15% from their figures and you may be nearer the truth.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 23:14   #67
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix View Post
I have to take issue with that.

A turbo can be working, and working hard at ANY psi - just because it's a large (ish) turbo does not mean it needs to kick out high boost numbers to be 'working'. Most truck turbos are larger than T38's but will only run 18-30psi flat out depending on circumstance.

Equally, high boost pressure does not mean the turbo is working more efficiently, or even providing a lot of air into the engine. If you're ramming the charged air down a 2" pipe (for example) into an engine you'll get a high boost pressure but a low cfm figure. Use a 3" pipe/intake and the boost pressure will drop but you may flow more air.

It's all to do with the size of the turbo in relation to the amount of air required, the ability of the engine to provide enough exhaust gas to spool it, the charge air temps, effectiveness of intercooler, efficiency of exhaust system to remove the gases, size of pipework, size of intercooler etc. You may well find your T38 at 24+psi is operating outside of its efficiency ratings given the rest of the package.

I see the dyno readout was done at HLM - general consensus is subtract 15% from their figures and you may be nearer the truth.
hlm dyno is spot on mate i put my s40 1.8 vvt on the dyno showed and it showed factory figuies of 122 bhp crank .and the 940 is using 3in piping euerywhere and 3intb too.and this turbo is designed to run up to 2.2 bar .the engine that is going back in the car is forged and also a big valve head and a custom inlet manifold .it was the ecu backing the turbo off with fuel cut because the t38 was pushing alot more air than t35 was doing so that is why i was hitting the maf limit.but take it from me this car is very quick and upsets alot of peeps.and it also did a 13.9 easlely on the strip and that was with a t cam .also ive been on 4 different rollers with this car and they all gave higher figuies

Last edited by smithy; Mar 27th, 2012 at 23:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 22:13   #68
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
the car will be hitting 350 whp no probs in the next 6 weeks
WHP....? What is that in terms we may understand...Factor in HLM rollers and 220 bhp?...

Dear me, am i fed up with your bullshi1..?

One of your six weeks are up...

Put up or shut up...Oh yes i expect there will be problems with the graph..., car misfiring or one of your stock excuses....

AGAIN...

Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 22:24.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 22:27   #69
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
this is a graph from last year i think november it was a totally standard engine ,standard ecus,t38 hybrid and a cmd unit that controls the fuel.but i didnot connect the maf cut so i was hitting fuel cut at 4200 rpm.i will find the dyno run for the video very soon.if anybody knows anything about turbos then they will know that the t38 hybrid isnt even working at 17 psi witch this graph was at .the turbo does not work properly till it gets to above 24 psi.
This is a poor map with the mods you boast of...your excuses pour out again....It is similar to a 850T5 Rica map....

Jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 22:57.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 04:16   #70
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
This is a poor map with the mods you boast of...your excuses pour out again....It is similar to a 850T5 Rica map....

Jod
who is boasting im not i try to explain the problems i have to help over forum members if they have rsimilar problems with modding 940s .what is so wrong with that .im still running standard ecus aswell and the hlm thing well we all have our own personnel views on that one.but when i get my car back up and running and tuned then i will take the car to the next dyno day where ever that may be then you can say something about them figuires too.