Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 engine DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Views : 50317

Replies : 102

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2013, 20:37   #61
strandprinsen

Angry dpf-filter on volvo xc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbert View Post
i think theres a service on ebay where you post the ecu over, they map out the dpf regen and then send it back. the ecu comes off very easy, and im sure they will talk you through it. Then its just a matter of knocking a hole in the dpf to allow teh exhaust gasses to pass.

Hi Catbert
I have lots of problems with my DPF-filter on my XC90 giving me a regular message "engine service required". The Volvo garage here in Brussels will not admit that it could be the DPF-filter which is causing the error messages and have already replaced silent blocks and pressure sensor and as none of this helped they now want to replace the turbo (which is quite expensive) Instead of just removing the filter, would it be enough to make a hole in it (how big?) and would this not give me other error messages due to a hole in the filter?
strandprinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 12:32   #62
solarus

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...61#post1381961

Strand

Take a look here. I am going through the process now...

It is not quite that easy as you need a remap but it is not that hard either if you have someone that knows what they are doing.
solarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 13:41   #63
solarus

Default Done

The Work is completed and what a transformation.

The DPF unit was opened and the filter media was removed (the CAT is left intact) and unit sealed back up and put back in place, the car was remapped to remove the references from the DPF (Based on Performance Economy Map) so it is no longer looked for, Oil and filter change done.

All Work done and remap for 450. Car is far more responsive (no initial drop in RPM when going from a standing start anymore), pulls like a train :-) and on my drive in this morning (25 Miles in traffic) I was averaging 38.4 MPG which is better than I have ever seen.

I am more than happy with the service and the result :-) Oh what a long way these conversions have come
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:52   #64
solarus

There seems to be some posts getting deleted on this thread? For the person that asked I am in Lancashire.....
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 17:29   #65
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarus View Post
The Work is completed and what a transformation.

The DPF unit was opened and the filter media was removed (the CAT is left intact) and unit sealed back up and put back in place, the car was remapped to remove the references from the DPF (Based on Performance Economy Map) so it is no longer looked for, Oil and filter change done.

All Work done and remap for 450. Car is far more responsive (no initial drop in RPM when going from a standing start anymore), pulls like a train :-) and on my drive in this morning (25 Miles in traffic) I was averaging 38.4 MPG which is better than I have ever seen.

I am more than happy with the service and the result :-) Oh what a long way these conversions have come
Do government regulations permit removal of the internals of the DPF?
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 10:43   #66
craigandfamily

Default Soot filter full

i have had the joy of SOOT FILTER FULL - SEE MANUEL recently and find it unacceptable that i can't drive my XC90 the way i want to drive it.
i've been looking into removing the DPF and have found several companies online who say it is totally legal and even increases the MPG.
has anyone else done this or considered it?

i'd love to know!
craigandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 12:59   #67
solarus

Go for it. Had ours done and never looked back. More mpg, more power and no more dpf problems. We towed a 1.7T caravan up and down to France after having ours done with no problems.

Enjoy
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 16:10   #68
senior

Hi solarus can you let me know who removed your DPF and remapped your car as I would like to have mine done as I'm am having a few proplams,I live in Cheshire
Thanks
senior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to senior For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2014, 18:38   #69
solarus

Sure

Leyland Auto diagnostics. Good guys and know their stuff.

Not far from you.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to solarus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 12:35   #70
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...the-facts.html
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote