Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Towing problem

Views : 12330

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:04   #61
kentishdriver

Tow bars /couplings

Tow bars are something that are generally taken for granted, but there’s a raft of laws governing their height, type and the way they’re fitted. In this section, you’ll find an overview of the information that it’s important you know before towing your horse trailer.

What do I need to know?
According to European Law all light passenger vehicles registered on or after 1st August 1998 require a type approved towbar tested to Community Directive 94/20EEC. This law governs the height and dimensions of the towball to ensure a safe and level towing height of between 350mm and 420mm (ground to centre of towball).

Any vehicle requiring an approved towbar also requires an appropriately approved towball – its 'D' and 'S' values must match or exceed the towbar 'D' and 'S' values (these figures may be found on the towbar stamp or plate).

Please note: This is not retrospective and does not affect any vehicle registered before 1st August 1998.

How do I know if my towbar meets EC regulations?
Check your towbar for a label, plate or stamp - if it’s type approved you’ll find a number, e.g. E11xxxxxxx, and the details of the vehicle for which it is an approved fitment.

These labels must not be removed or defaced as this will invalidate the towbar manufacturer's warranty and would result in the towbar or towball not being identified as Type Approved.

Can I fit a type approved towbar myself?
Yes, provided you use the car manufacturer's approved mounting points and follow the tow bar manufacturer's instructions.

However, we would recommend seeking professional advice on at least the type and height at which your towbar should be fitted to tow your horse trailer, to ensure you don’t encounter issues with noseweight, and ideally that you get it professionally fitted for avoidance of doubt.

Tow bar height
According to EC Directive 94/20/EC the towball height before hitching should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the ‘laden’ condition. Alternatively, the towball may be at the height or within the height range specified by the vehicle manufacturer in the homologation documents / vehicle handbook.

The height of the trailer coupling should be 385 to 455mm with the trailer in the ‘laden’ condition. ‘Laden condition’ in this instance is when the trailer is loaded to its maximum specified mass, with this evenly distributed over the loading area.

As you can see, this is an area fraught with potential for error, so if you are in any doubt as to the height of your towbar, or feel that it is not at a suitable height for towing your trailer, i.e. when hitched your trailer floor slants (it should be completely level, or will seriously affect your noseweight), we recommend you consult a professional.

Tow Bar Heights & Noseweight
The noseweight of a trailer is the downward pressure that the laden trailer exerts on the towball of the towing vehicle. If this pressure is too high, the towing vehicle’s rear suspension will be compromised and the steering affected. It’s impossible to check a trailer’s noseweight with horses on board, so use the trailer manufacturer’s estimated noseweight for any calculations.

Tow bar height can also affect towing performance. If the towball is too high, it will have the same affect of too great a noseweight and will also cause the trailer to be unlevel.

If your towbar is fitted either too low or too high, DO NOT attempt to tow horses – you need to get it professionally re-fitted to be safe.

Looking at the above I think you would have a valid small claims case. I would ask Volvo to provide you with the approriate certification to assure you that the vehicle can be driven safely and legally on the road, and see what their response is.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 18:00   #62
ctreex1

Thanks for that information Kentishdriver.
Today I have made contact with Thule Technical Dept. They produce 2 versions of XC90 detachable towbar, the Volvo oem spec is 470 mm from centre of towball to ground (as mine is), and an after market version that is 443 cm to ground!

Last edited by ctreex1; Jun 21st, 2011 at 19:35.
ctreex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 18:26   #63
volvocamper
Master Member

I have a Volvo Genuine fixed swan neck tow bar on my MY10 XC90 and is 470mm from ground to middle of ball and seems to tow fine. Will be interesting to see what others are.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 18:52   #64
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreex1 View Post
Thank you for that information Paul. Unfortunately the symptoms are the same on my trailer, the loan trailer and Alan's trailer.

The Volvo dealer in Abergavenny is offering to refund the cost of the towbar only, NOT the wiring cost or the fitting cost - 4 hours at £70+ (London rates).
Thats not London rates ! in fact its probably the cheapest Volvo labour rate in the country ...
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 22:37   #65
moncman

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I have a Volvo Genuine fixed swan neck tow bar on my MY10 XC90 and is 470mm from ground to middle of ball and seems to tow fine. Will be interesting to see what others are.
What are you towing?

I'm sure the extra few mms will be fine if you are towing a single axle trailer but I think we established earlier that the original poster was towing a double axle horsebox. The concern must be that by tilting the A frame up a couple of degrees to hitch on the higher towball the trailer is effectively running unbalanced on the rear axle with the front skipping along unladen. Correct me if I'm wrong.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:26   #66
ctreex1

Thanks moncman. You are correct that we are towing a twin axle horse trailer.
The symptoms you describe are correct too.
I bought a nose weight gauge from a caravan shop. Lifting the trailer by 50 mm does make a substantial difference to the effective nose weight.
We need to see how much refund the Volvo dealer is prepared to give before fitting a Witter fixed flange job.
Thank you for your interest.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 20:43   #67
kentishdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreex1 View Post
Thanks moncman. You are correct that we are towing a twin axle horse trailer.
The symptoms you describe are correct too.
I bought a nose weight gauge from a caravan shop. Lifting the trailer by 50 mm does make a substantial difference to the effective nose weight.
We need to see how much refund the Volvo dealer is prepared to give before fitting a Witter fixed flange job.
Thank you for your interest.
I would not have thought you need to wait until then. They appear to have fitted a tow ball that could be illegal to use, and is outwith EC directives, and which leaves you, and indeed the fitters, open to prosecution in the event of an accident. Just tell them you have taken advice, and you will be pursuing a claim for full cost of replacement, cost of your time, and other costs incurred, including costs (which are ongoing) associated with having to run a second vehicle to tow your trailer until the matter is resolved.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 21:59   #68
jiwilson
retired and loving it!

No one seems to have mentioned.......

You state the unladen nose weight of your twin axle horse trailer is 88kg

Max nose weight for tow bar is 90kg

So, put almost anything in the trailer and you exceed the permitted nose weight

derrrr??

Are sure the 88kg doesn't represent max nose weight for that trailer??

Without a doubt the problem is nose weight, its too light unladen, my trailer does exactly the same - unladen.

Assuming quiet / calm ponies - put them in a try a short drive - any difference??

I also agree with other posts - if your towbar does not comply with the standard - you are entitled to a refund.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 19:44   #69
ctreex1

WE FINALLY GOT A GOOD RESULT!
Keith Price Volvo gave us a full refund for the tow bar, wiring and fitting charge.
We then had a Witter fixed flange tow bar fitted. This resulted in the distance from centre of towball to ground being reduced to 430 mm. a decrease of 40 mm from the 'Volvo' tow bar originally fitted, reducing the effective nose weight by 20 kg.
The floor of the trailer is now level when coupled to the car.
With 2 Exmoor ponies on board the distance from centre of towball to ground is 400 mm so we are now legal.
The ride is now very much more comfortable than it was previously.
Thank you to all members who gave advice.
The Volvo dealer was keen to see a satisfied customer at the end of the day.
They did a good deal on the original purchase price of the car, comparing very favourably with the big dealers on the web.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 20:44   #70
Jim314
Premier Member

It would be unacceptable to me to have a tow bar that was too high, but absolutely unacceptable if it resulted in a horse trailer being out of level.

It is terrific that you now have one which supports the trailer level to the ground.

How did you determine that "a decrease of 40 mm from the 'Volvo' tow bar originally fitted, reduc[ed] the effective nose weight by 20 kg"?

Addition in editing
I was thinking about a single axle trailer. I forgot about the explanation above for how with a double axle trailer raising the tow ball would increase the noseweight.

Last edited by Jim314; Aug 5th, 2011 at 20:58.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote