Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 57015

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 301 38.84%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 447 57.68%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.68%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 775. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 19:51   #1
pagan8c
Master Member

I would have liked a spacesaver spare at least.I tow a caravan and don't fancy getting stuck with a puncture that can't be repaired.I am still contemplating buying 1 which will cost me 255 pounds complete with tyre and tools and jack.I have looked on the used forums etc but can't find any
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 14:38   #2
CAPOW

Default V60 going to France

I understand that amongst other stupid rules, the French INSIST that yo have a spere wheel. If I get hold of a 'space saver' wheel, will it fit under the false floor of the boot if you take the under tray out?
Any advice would be appriciated as I do have to go to France, and don't want to get pulled up as I'm guessing the French police will also know the V60 doesn't come with a spare as standard.

Last edited by CAPOW; May 11th, 2012 at 14:41.
CAPOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 16:55   #3
krsone01634

Definite space saver, been stranded before with cars with that tyre sealant stuff
krsone01634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 20:11   #4
Mike V60

My V60 came with the tin of gunk & a compressor.....i had the car 2 days & left work to find a flat n/s/r tyre,thankfully the compressor inflated it & i was able to get the punchure repaired....that night i bought a space saver spare wheel & bag & jack....
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 22:14   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

Space saver AND a decent wheel brace.
The tiny effort supplied by Volvo is next to useless.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 23:13   #6
Diego67

I’ve got space saver and also full 18 spare as well , that’s for the long trips !
Diego67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 22:38   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

A spare is a £400 advantage on a used car, buying the wheel & tool kit from the dealer afterwards is a big expense if you like me demand one, when I say demand I really mean it keeps me in my comfort zone,

If buying new it's silly not to pay the £150 for it then imo, only needs to be a space saver to get you home,

If you get stuck without one and the AA are hours away I can at your own risk suggest a fix,

Blowout, yer fluxed basically

Nail/screw in tyre tread, not wall, pull it out with a pair of pliers, if it resists or feels tight pull it about an inch out, now put some glue or sealant around the nail/screw and wind it back in, give it a few minutes and re-inflate the tyre, drive home slowly regardless of what type of road you are on,

If the nail/screw came out really loose remove and load another bigger screw/nail up with glue/sealant and screw that back into the hole,

If you have a flap, split, tear or whatever other description of cut or in the wall that tyre is toast anyway so a very slow crawl home can be attempted, and I mean slow like 5-10mph max, don't do what our ma did, drove on it like normal until the circular tyre became one long strip of rubber which then tore the front end off the car,

For this preventative measure you should carry, 1x needle nose pliers, 1x tube of Bostick Uhu or bathroom sealant (clear is best ;-) ) and an assortment of screws in varied sizes within reason, forget nails we want something that's going to torque into the hole easy, 1x Screwdriver of each flat & Phillips, 1x tyre inflator,

If you picked up a torx screw then also carrying one of those poundland kits might help,

I take no responsibility for anyone taking this advice, it's for extreme times when you are say on a dark country road and can't get help,

AND DRIVE SLOWLY!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 12:05   #8
Jeremy P

Default Tyre sealant

Apologies if this has already been commented, but I was told the tyre is a write off if sealant is used, as the puncture can’t be found, so I bought a cheap unused space saver and Jack kit off eBay.
Jeremy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 14:57   #9
DangerousDel

First thing I bought for my V60 was a space saver spare, ripped out the junk in the lower well and that's where it lives. I wont have a car without one, the bottle of goo is of little use if you smash an alloy wheel on a pot hole (of which there are alot off !!)
DangerousDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 17:03   #10
cbarrow

I only had one experience of a flat without a space-saver. Took 6-hours to get recovered, then a further two days of faff (with no car) to get the wheel repaired (cracked) and tyre changed. I now have a space-saver in every car I've had, even if it takes up boot space...