Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A little advice please

Views : 4204

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 18:14   #61
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Hi Simon, congrats on the purchase. The price for the tints seems about right to me.

A good idea I think, as glass only blocks one type of UV light (the type that burns), but it's the other type that causes the skin damage (can't remember which is UV-A and which is UV-B)...

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 21:37   #62
tingy
VOC Member

glad u got a car sorted at last

reguard to window tints ring around a few places to get an idea of cost but also make sure ur insurance company are ok with em
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:14   #63
simonfoy

Tell you what I have noticed and I dont know if its a fault.

When I turn the climate switch from feet or face or both to windscreen it turns the AC on. ie when I have the heater/fan switch on face or feet its fine I can go hot or cold as you do but when I switch it onto windscreen to clear the windscreen it turns the AC on and I have to manually switch it off.

Is this normal?

I am going to post some pics when i get a camera or borrow one
simonfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:14   #64
tingy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfoy View Post
Tell you what I have noticed and I dont know if its a fault.

When I turn the climate switch from feet or face or both to windscreen it turns the AC on. ie when I have the heater/fan switch on face or feet its fine I can go hot or cold as you do but when I switch it onto windscreen to clear the windscreen it turns the AC on and I have to manually switch it off.

Is this normal?

I am going to post some pics when i get a camera or borrow one
yes totally normal the AC acts as a dehumidifier so it blows dry air at the windscreen preventing it from misting up, infact if u run the climate control on auto it should turn the AC on reguardles of if u have it set to hot or cold
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:23   #65
simonfoy

Hey thanks mate I thought I had a fault. Does it effect the fuel consumption a lot using the AC, and also do they need regassing as I have seen that advertised in car places, if so how much is it. Hey you answered my question and I managed to ask a few more. I assure you i am not a woman, my wife always answers a ? with a ? LOL
simonfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:05   #66
tingy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfoy View Post
Hey thanks mate I thought I had a fault. Does it effect the fuel consumption a lot using the AC, and also do they need regassing as I have seen that advertised in car places, if so how much is it. Hey you answered my question and I managed to ask a few more. I assure you i am not a woman, my wife always answers a ? with a ? LOL
lol no worries thats what forums are for asking questions

it does affect the fuel consumption but i find you barely notice it on a moterway but around town it will be more noticable but you can easily turn it off as you have found out by pressing the AC button (although when it comes to clearing the windscreen i would leave it on as it works much quicker) they do need regassing occasionaly but as for when i dont know but if its blowing nice cold air on a hot day then its a good bet ur ok

EDIT: here u go i asked the same question a while ago
http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=3838&hl=

Last edited by tingy; Mar 30th, 2009 at 04:16.
tingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:08   #67
capt jack
VOC Member

Congrats on the new car Simon. Never was a new car so widely discussed or so eagerly anticipated by so many forum members!

AC will worsen your fuel consumption by 10 to 20%.

You might notice a slight drop in performance too. To compensate for this, an autobox will temporarily switch off the aircon when the kick-down is used.

If you want to demist the screen without using the aircon then set the selector dial to the first stop past the demist position. The airflow will still be directed to the screen but the auto aircon function will stay off.

Personally I think aircon is pretty much a waste of time in this country, but if it's fitted to your car be sure to use it a couple of times a month at least, just to keep the system lubricated and working.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:25   #68
johnjp
Master Member

The advantage of air con is that moisture will be removed from the cabin air and defrosting much quicker. On my 940 the air con is automatically switched on if the demister is selected, even with the `ice/snow` button off. Once the screen is clear I reselect another position and the air con automatically switches off. It`s a good idea to use it in winter too as a bunch of sweaty people will emit a lot of moisture. BTW the air con works as a dehumidifier and can be set at any temperature, not necessarily just as a cabin cooling system.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote