Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 34247

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 12:20   #61
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen.Agfa View Post
It is often noted in discussions on winter tyres that in cold, wet, snowy conditions a two-wheel drive vehicle shod with winter tyres will out-perform a four-wheel drive vehicle on general purpose tyres.

C.A.
This can indeed be the case.
Also if you live in certain countries Finland, Sweden, Denmark, (just for example) and certain areas Alps. The 4wd + winter tyres is mandatory, They are a must.

I have just been out this morning between 2 - 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground, summer tyres and not one problem (apart from a couple of nutters in two wheel drive cars who think they are in a 4wd!!) not one slip, not one moment of traction control stepping in. last year the car drove through 2 - 3 times that and again it had no issues.

I am not against people putting winter tyres on. Yes it can extend the life of your summer tyres but I just find it a pain in the backside and would rather spend my money on other things than another set of alloys with a set of winter tyres on them. Even more so given that i have has no issues today.

Let it Snow
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 15:33   #62
scotgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
This can indeed be the case.
Also if you live in certain countries Finland, Sweden, Denmark, (just for example) and certain areas Alps. The 4wd + winter tyres is mandatory, They are a must.

I have just been out this morning between 2 - 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground, summer tyres and not one problem (apart from a couple of nutters in two wheel drive cars who think they are in a 4wd!!) not one slip, not one moment of traction control stepping in. last year the car drove through 2 - 3 times that and again it had no issues.

I am not against people putting winter tyres on. Yes it can extend the life of your summer tyres but I just find it a pain in the backside and would rather spend my money on other things than another set of alloys with a set of winter tyres on them. Even more so given that i have has no issues today.

Let it Snow

I have to agree, I too drove this morning in mixed conditions of fresh snow and hard packed snow. I have not changed the tyres and the car performed brilliantly, of course all vehicles need to be driven sensibly AWD or not.

Buying winter tyres must be based on common sense in my view, if you just have to deal with the odd flurry of snow a few times a year and have decent roads then they are a waste of money.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 17:20   #63
Teejay1
Master Member

Smile

I struggled today in about 8-10 inches up a small but very steep incline only about 75 yards and 1 in 4 from a standing start. Couldn't get a run at it cause of a bend at the beginning.

I wonder do you think that an AWD would get up there with or without winter boots? I had to admit defeat and leave the car about 150 yards away from my house.

Mightily impressed with what I was able to manage today with normal tyres and 2wd, all with gentle input .
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 18:07   #64
polsesnabb

Default Ignorant

Driving on winter conditions with summer tyres is ignorant. The AWD gives you less feedback from the actual conditions of the surface, and will always get you going. However, the magic is gone if you need to make a full stop you didnīt plan. Under winter conditions there will allways be a lot of incidents you need to react upon, and force you to stop or avoid.

A large car comes with the responsibility not to make salsa out of the others on the road. All the AWD in the world wonīt prevent that from happening, if you hit a regular car, or God forbid; a person.

In our country winter tyres are mandatory, when conditions are "wintery". Normally this is from November to mid April. If you are involved in an accident and it turns out you didnīt have appropriate tyres for the conditions, you can count on nothing- or significantly less from the insurance company. You can also count on a strict reaction from the police. Last week a guy got his driverīs license withdrawn for 3 months, and a GBP 1200 fine for driving with summer tyres, and he only caused a traffic jam.
These reactions are widely supported by the population, and mirrors the level of ignorance and stupidity from the drivers in question.
polsesnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polsesnabb For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 19:02   #65
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Can I just ask for all those getting about just fine with so-called 'summer tyres' this winter, please do tell us what tyres you currently wear. This would be helpful. Thanks!
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 20:32   #66
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsesnabb View Post
Driving on winter conditions with summer tyres is ignorant. The AWD gives you less feedback from the actual conditions of the surface, and will always get you going. However, the magic is gone if you need to make a full stop you didnīt plan. Under winter conditions there will allways be a lot of incidents you need to react upon, and force you to stop or avoid.

A large car comes with the responsibility not to make salsa out of the others on the road. All the AWD in the world wonīt prevent that from happening, if you hit a regular car, or God forbid; a person.
I concur; a friend with a 56 plate V70 AWD had no difficulty climbing the snowy track to his house and was delighted with the grip, however once back on snowy tarmac he lightly dabbed his brakes on the approach to a bend and was somewhat disconcerted when the car carried straight on, finally coming to a stop 3 inches from a collision; his car has g/p tyres on.

C.A.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 22:02   #67
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsesnabb View Post

In our country winter tyres are mandatory, when conditions are "wintery". Normally this is from November to mid April. If you are involved in an accident and it turns out you didnīt have appropriate tyres for the conditions, you can count on nothing- or significantly less from the insurance company. You can also count on a strict reaction from the police. Last week a guy got his driverīs license withdrawn for 3 months, and a GBP 1200 fine for driving with summer tyres, and he only caused a traffic jam.
These reactions are widely supported by the population, and mirrors the level of ignorance and stupidity from the drivers in question.
It's all down to probabilities. We, in the UK, are forunate to live in a country where the climate is generally far less severe than in Scandinavia.

In the South of the UK we do not often see that much snow. I can remember years without seeing any; some hard frosts I grant you. If the climate changes to the point where it makes sense for us all to fit winter tyres then you can be sure that our government will legislate to that effect. Thankfully we are not there yet.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 08:18   #68
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
It's all down to probabilities. We, in the UK, are forunate to live in a country where the climate is generally far less severe than in Scandinavia.

In the South of the UK we do not often see that much snow. I can remember years without seeing any; some hard frosts I grant you. If the climate changes to the point where it makes sense for us all to fit winter tyres then you can be sure that our government will legislate to that effect. Thankfully we are not there yet.

Winter tyres are now just for snow. They offer a much improved grip, stability, traction and safety on ice, sluch and snow. They also offer this when temperature drops as they contain a much softer rubber than summer tyres.

Winter tyres will eventually be mandatory in most northen EU countries. Just a question of time, same as ABS brakes, Airbags, DRL's and Stability/Traction Control.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:23   #69
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Winter tyres will eventually be mandatory in most northen EU countries.
You are probably right but I hope you are not.

I read the Auto Express article on winter and all season tyres and the evidence is there that they offer an improvement. However, without wishing to sound too complacent, after 36 years of accident-free driving I hope I have learned how to drive to minimise the risk. I will not fit them unless the climate changes significantly and permanently and/or legislation is introduced making them mandatory.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:32   #70
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

An interesting theme has emerged from this poll; not one person who has driven on winter tyres has a word to say against them, yet a large number of posters, who have no experience of driving on them, come up with a myriad reasons for not fitting them.

As I said, interesting.

(Oh, and this is in no way meant to be a pop at you, Ransman.)

C.A.