Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sad

Views : 21165

Replies : 191

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 12:26   #61
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Iv just done a set of piston rings on my motor, took me a day this gone weekend under a patio heater - easy when you know how m8.

as alex said, you dont need any of these special volvo tools crap, you just need common sense. as long as the marks all line up on your engine by the time it comes to getting the belt back on, it will be fine.

if you are really worried about locking the cams, get a big fat screwdriver and stick it through a hole in the cam wheel, and there should be a hole on the block, match them up and hey presto, locked cam

the plastic covers arent esseintial, they are what i like to call "scarecovers" (play of words on scarecrows) cause they scare off anyone who dares to look under the bonnet :P they help to make the bay look tidy though.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

might help give you confidence the engine is in the wrong dierection, but rotate it 90 deg and its essintially the same thing. you dont have to worry about the distributor, you have coils strait ontop of your spark plugs ^.^

if necessary mark up your leads

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 21:14   #62
DWM
VOC Member

Weekend should be clear of work by about midnight tonight when I've finally knocked off these ^&*%ing reports. Weather forecast looks OK; so I'm hoping to make a bit more progress this weekend.

I just wanted to say: Gatos: if it's easiest for you to try to get that head this weekend, please go ahead and do so - I'm happy to take a punt and pay for it without knowing for sure what my engine's situation is. I expect I could collect the object next weekend, when I expect to be over in your direction anyway collecting/depositing children.

Obviously only if it suits you to do it this weekend, and only if you can live with holding on to the thing for a week... PM me.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 22:42   #63
gatos
Premier Member

I am afraid it will have to be next weekend. Have plans for both tomorrow and Sunday...... When are you coming around? Can do it next Saturday morning if that is ok with you

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 23:01   #64
DWM
VOC Member

Not a problem at all!

I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing next weekend, but in all likelihood driving to N London for the boys on Saturday and back at some point early on Sunday evening. It's probably best not to try to arrange anything that depends on things' running smoothly on a Saturday morning - as they so rarely seem to do.

But if you think you could grab it at some point during the weekend I could almost certainly collect on the Sunday evening - unless that's bad for you. I'm not in a rush, as you know, and you'd be doing me a massive favour - so, whatever is easiest....
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 23:15   #65
gatos
Premier Member

Now I know in advance, it is not going to be a problem. I am off on Thursday too, so I might try to do it then. Will let you know. Will you need any of the rocker cover bolts, rocker cover or cams? Or anything else you can think of, let me know as it is a 15 mile drive....

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 23:17   #66
gatos
Premier Member

Or if you have the time and you fancy, then we can go do it together on Saturday......

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 23:27   #67
stephend
Premier Member

DWM, you might be interested in the article in the latest issue of Car Mechanics on reconditioning cylinder heads...!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 23:29   #68
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Or if you have the time and you fancy, then we can go do it together on Saturday......
I would bloody love to have you show me how it's done quickly on Saturday...! ... but sadly I just don't think I'll have the time.

Don't expect to need anything but the head itself. Of course I may break something tomorrow, but no sense in predicting that...
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 01:58   #69
gatos
Premier Member

lol. As I said, if it was my car or your car, I would take a whole day just removing and placing everything carefully and in order. In this case, there will be a bucket where I'll throw everything inside, ie bolts, clips, sparks etc. Timing belt cut with a stanley knife etc....... And impact wrench makes things much faster....

Just let me know by Tuesday if you definitely 100% need the head and I'll have it ready for you

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 15:55   #70
DWM
VOC Member

Well, silk underwear (cheaper than a patio heater and you can take it wherever you go ) and a spot of sunshine seems to make me a slightly better mechanic.

I've done (by my standards) quite a lot. I'm rather pleased with myself.

Managed to get this thing off:

These look nice enough

Genevieve feeling slightly naked

Turned the engine to find these nice marks, in an effort to persuade myself that I do have the courage to take the scary step in this job. The red paint must have been added by the good doctor Derek when he changed the cambelt.

Then happily I managed to get this thing off without too much pain or swearing.

I'm hoping to find something naughty in here

That's it for now. I decided to cash my chips for the day at this point since I seemed to be ahead, and it was starting to get cold.