Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lots of fault messages

Views : 14652

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 15:01   #61
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan271 View Post
Had my dpf removed and guy that removed it and deleted software was unable to get rid of "ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED" message off dash which comes on nearly straight away after starting car.I can put it off by pressing reset button but comes back on once I start car again...Will this fail MOT in N.Ireland does anyone know or anyway I can get rid of message permanently....Thanks
They cant have altered the software , because the whole point of that is to fool the system into thinking there is no DPF, go back to them, you have paid good money to have it done ..
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:40   #62
count0zero

Well second time to Volvo with mine, it had a new wiring loom and throttle position sensor which the dealer kindly paid for however I got the dreaded limp home message again yesterday.

I can't live with it, I'm giving it up and getting my money back. No more Volvos, its not been a good experience.
count0zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:59   #63
jaygee
Avid Member

I personally think you have been very unfortunate and I do not think that Volvo cars are half as bad as some other makes.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 10:37   #64
mtt1

Hi, it is me again (in Spain). We asked the garage to clean the CEM unit but, they said they don' think that is the problem and it would take too much labour. On that problem, they are now planning to download a CEM recharger, Reload ADM s40 and ECM diesel reload!! They tell us that is software they have to download at €50 each. Now we also have the 'Engine Failure, service urgent' message up all the time! Car is not running properly. I asked them to top up the EOLYS fluid but, the mechanic in the dealers told me that the Filter Fap needs to be changed at 120,000kms and ours is now at 128,000kms. Is this the case? They don't think filling the fluid is enough. They have told us not to drive car as, could cause serious engine problems. Can anyone tell us if what they are saying is true about the filter needing to be changed at 120,000?? Cost of €660 for filter alone!
mtt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:02   #65
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the Particle filter needs changing at 72000 miles and problems will occur if it is neglected . the cost of this in UK is £280 so get one sent over ..
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:15   #66
mtt1

Thanks, great to know that - we will try to get them to reduce price as, i doubt they will let us get it sent over. In your experience - could this also be related to other messages coming up:
Brake failure, stop safely
SRS airbag service required

or have we another BIG problem?
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:25   #67
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtt1 View Post
Thanks, great to know that - we will try to get them to reduce price as, i doubt they will let us get it sent over. In your experience - could this also be related to other messages coming up:
Brake failure, stop safely
SRS airbag service required

or have we another BIG problem?
no , the brake and srs problems are not connected , but what exactly are the brake and SRS fault codes indicating? If it is communication problems they could all be related .
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:37   #68
mtt1

It is communication problems as, they have found nothing wrong.
They are now planning to download the following software to correct messages:
Reload ADM S40
CEM recharger
ECM Diesel Reload
@ €50 each.
They hope this will sort it out, if not we may need a new CEM unit. They have shrugged off my suggestion of taking it out and cleaning it!! If the above fails, should i insist?
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:56   #69
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quite frankly I'd take the CEM out yourself clean and put back in prior to getting the software reloads done - may just save yourself £150?

It sounds like a communication problem and the most likely culprit is the CEM. The CEM gets disturbed every time the pollen filter is changed and can also be disturbed by front passengers kicking their feet at the upper carpet area of the lower dash.

The first thing I'd be looking at is the CEM and the connections on to it are on properly (take off and re-seat), it is worth while if taking them off and taking the CEM out to give all the connections a quick clean to ensure no dust/dirt/grime is causing any slight break in communication.

What your dealer is proposing is a little over the top.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 11:59   #70
Clan
Experienced Member

I would look at the wiring loom behind the right headlamp , take the headlamp out , the wiring can short on the edge of the chassis and Air conditioning pipe ferrules they have sharp edges , if you just move the wiring loom a bit in that area it may help , also around the gearbox have a look after taking out the air filter box ...