Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 73166

Replies : 1346

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2023, 20:07   #61
Cull06
Master Member

Someone has a chip on their shoulder that they don’t own an EV….! 😂
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 20:11   #62
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Someone has a chip on their shoulder that they don’t own an EV….! 😂
It's not that it's that all the facts should be out in the open before the punter drops the wad on one.

I left one out, frame sag after some years potentially, the cells that run through the tunnel could as the body metal ages cause the centre of the car to sag.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 23:24   #63
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

[Someone has a chip on their shoulder that they don’t own an EV….!]

EVs are full of chips.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 08:38   #64
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Some more interesting info that you won't find in the normy media.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/e...on_news_static

There's quite a lot of pro's and con's and not as simple as no exhaust pipe.

Here's a little con list.

Power must be generated to charge the car, normally by gas at the powerplant.True - Majority of Electricity production in the UK is from gas, however, low carbon production currently sits at 20% and is increasing, with the possibility that all electricity production could be low carbon (France I believe sits at 80% low carbon electricity production).ICE powered cars can never achieve this

The chemistry of Lithium batteries is dirty in it's production. Think this is perhaps more nuanced than saying it's inherently dirty,

Car is heavier meaning more tarmac will need replacing faster.

Because the car is heavier it will shed more rubber particulates from the tyres.

Because the car uses regeneration more toxic brake pads will be needed.EVs use less brake pads, because when regenerative breaking the car is stopped by powering the motor, meaning less brake pad wear.

There doesn't seem to be a viable way to recycle or dispose of spent cells.https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/stories/from-old-to-new-battery-recycling-in-salzgitter-6782

The cost of an EV is off the scale. Off the scale, what scale are you using"

The px value will be bad after 5 years as the cells will be degraded, 18650's which is the cell of choice normally last about 3 years in a vaping mod, after that the capacity is much reduced, same cells different head count volume.Most manufactures offer an 8 year battery warranty, so I'm not sure where you're getting your 3 or 5 year figures. and like any warranty, period, this doesn't mean it will instantly fail

That insufferable bastard across the road who always has to have the latest thing will be seen and heard crowing from morning to evening and beyond *it were this big*

There are obviously plus points over an ICE but can you give it the my dicks larger than yours at the lights in a revving contest prior to the drag race along the dual carriageway?

Do EV's burble at the lights setting off a chain reaction of ladies thongs landing on the bonnet before she climbs in and says "quote" take me to bed or lose me forever, yeah sowitiz
Interesting "facts", now clearly there are pro and cons to EVs as you have stated, but I'm not convinced by all your points. (PS I don't own an EV)
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 08:47   #65
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
It's not that it's that all the facts should be out in the open before the punter drops the wad on one.
My neighbour changes his car ( always VW or Audi ) every 18 months or so.

September 2021 he bought a new Tiguan petrol and was very happy with it.

August 2022 he decided to do his bit for the environment and got a VW ID4 which initially he extolled the virtues of.
Beginning of December there were a series of family emergencies with his kids who live and work in London so the ID4 was now required to do some long distances ( Durham City to London ) at very short notice and things turned sour very quickly as far as the ID4 was concerned.
Range anxiety, queuing for charging points, charging points not working or vandalised couple with Electricity being far more expensive and the love affair came to a grinding halt. One of the trips took nine hours through stopages and the quoted range never seems to be anywhere near accurate in real life conditions.
It was weighed in at the dealers January 2023 and he now has a new VW Hybrid. which he is far happier with it.
He can afford to chop and change but the simple fact of the matter is that all of the current and very obvious shortcomings of pure electric seem a long way off being addressed and are being conveniently ignored.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:12   #66
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Interesting "facts", now clearly there are pro and cons to EVs as you have stated, but I'm not convinced by all your points. (PS I don't own an EV)
Yeah I know, I made the bit up about the thongs
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:20   #67
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Yeah I know, I made the bit up about the thongs
That was the one fact I was relying on.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:26   #68
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having spent half my life driving 40t artics I'm struggling with the concept of a 3t EV wearing out the tarmac, and there must be a lot of disguised EVs running around already if the state of the roads around here is a way of judging.

And as for the drag race at the lights, the EV would seem to be the perfect 'sleeper', no noise and smoke but when the light goes green the full torque comes in right from the start so the EV accelerates away while the petrol head is feathering his clutch. Anecdotal evidence from a family member who was a petrol head but then got an EV, in his words 'That thing's bloody dangerous, I was doing 80 before I realised'.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:46   #69
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Having spent half my life driving 40t artics I'm struggling with the concept of a 3t EV wearing out the tarmac, and there must be a lot of disguised EVs running around already if the state of the roads around here is a way of judging.

And as for the drag race at the lights, the EV would seem to be the perfect 'sleeper', no noise and smoke but when the light goes green the full torque comes in right from the start so the EV accelerates away while the petrol head is feathering his clutch. Anecdotal evidence from a family member who was a petrol head but then got an EV, in his words 'That thing's bloody dangerous, I was doing 80 before I realised'.

Your seeing it as it is now Dave, now replace all cars with EV's then do the calcs on additional weight the tarmac will need to resist, it's a bit like don't take 3 cars on a weak bridge where the sign says one car at a time or the bridge will collapse.

The second quote was me having a giggle tbh, but you raise a good point I hadn't, the relation, as EV's can be very rapid combine that with 65.8% of drivers who struggle with a VW Golf to be safe and responsible, sorry Golf owners, nice and good car stained by that class of driver who used to plague the 3 Series models in the past, cutbacks eh.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:49   #70
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes and that's the point I'm trying to make, a petrol car is almost as bad in that it also has a flash point, a diesel requires vaporised compression to light up so once again proving to be the most frugal, torqued, "safe" fuel available.

NCAP sadly is about as far as a simulation can go and more about saving the occupants legs and necks rather than what's left of the car, the shot of the BMW shows that whatever rear ended it would've easily compromised a battery sledge either in the boot, through the tunnel or the whole floor. And before you respond please show me the NCAP for multiple vehicles at 70mph in fog or heavy rain.

Remember the people who are pushing the EV agenda outside of the car makers aren't of an engineering background, they will just grab onto the next new thing and say sorry later, they forced the car makers down this road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHOevX4DlGk
For type approval, EVs are subjected to greater scrutiny than conventional fuelled cars.

In the crash tests (front, side, side pole and rear) the vehicle voltages are checked during and after the tests to ensure there is no liklihood of humans coming into contact with anything dangerous.

The battery packs also are tested (UNECE R100 if you want some bedtime reading) and as a component will undergo the following tests before they can be used in a vehicle:

Vibration
Thermal shock and cycling
Mechanical shock
Mechanical integrity
Fire resistance
External Short circuit protection
Over discharge protection
Over temperature protection
Over-current protection
Determination of H2 emissions.

Yes, a thermal runaway is still possible, but there is an awful lot of testing to ensure the designs of these vehicles and components minimise any risk.

All the above is for type approval, which allows a vehicle to be sold in volume. Euro NCAP is completely separate.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: