Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

H Reg 240, Project Thread

Views : 10622

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 08:41   #61
hreg240

Another point I forgot to mention; tightening the alternator pulley hasn't cured my screeching belt. I did notice that there was a squeak coming from the alternator / pulley itself when I was tightening it.

I'm going to give it a douse in silicone lubricant and see if that quietens it. It'll all be coming off soon anyway, I just can't bare driving through town with that noise.
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:00   #62
Bob 1967
Master Member

Have you checked for mice?
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:04   #63
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
You’d squeal with your tail caught in a V pulley belt system!😱
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:11   #64
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post

I'm sure the cat that enjoys lounging under my car would soon catch them... No clue why the neighbours' cat only chooses my cars to sleep underneath; it must have good taste.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:11   #65
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreg240 View Post
Another point I forgot to mention; tightening the alternator pulley hasn't cured my screeching belt. I did notice that there was a squeak coming from the alternator / pulley itself when I was tightening it.

I'm going to give it a douse in silicone lubricant and see if that quietens it. It'll all be coming off soon anyway, I just can't bare driving through town with that noise.
So, if the alternator is noisy the issue will either be the belts are slipping (either because they are crappy old belts, or they are too slack, or because the alternator is causing too much resistance to motion) or the alternator's bearings are worn. The easiest way to check would be to remove the belts and spin the pulley by hand. If the noise remains, or if the pulley doesn't spin smoothly, or if there is perceptible side or end play then the issue is with the bearings. This must be the same on your VW, so I'm guessing you know anyway.

It is possible to change the bearing, which wouldn't be expensive but might be tricky in your circumstances - so most folk would choose to fit a replacement alternator.

Remember to disconnect one of the battery posts before working on the alternator - there is a live +ve connection down there and lots of potential earths around.

Even if you do think the bearings are grumbling a bit I'd still try changing the belts because that is a cheap and easy thing to do (belts are less than a tenner each) to see if that brings it within tolerance.

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:03   #66
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
So, if the alternator is noisy the issue will either be the belts are slipping (either because they are crappy old belts, or they are too slack, or because the alternator is causing too much resistance to motion) or the alternator's bearings are worn. The easiest way to check would be to remove the belts and spin the pulley by hand. If the noise remains, or if the pulley doesn't spin smoothly, or if there is perceptible side or end play then the issue is with the bearings. This must be the same on your VW, so I'm guessing you know anyway.

It is possible to change the bearing, which wouldn't be expensive but might be tricky in your circumstances - so most folk would choose to fit a replacement alternator.

Remember to disconnect one of the battery posts before working on the alternator - there is a live +ve connection down there and lots of potential earths around.

Even if you do think the bearings are grumbling a bit I'd still try changing the belts because that is a cheap and easy thing to do (belts are less than a tenner each) to see if that brings it within tolerance.

Thanks Alan,

Definitely an issue I have encountered before with previous cars.

I will investigate further when weather and time permits. Like you say, the belts are cheap and readily available. They'll be coming off (and being replaced) in a month or two anyway, when I do the timing belt. If I can quieten the system down in the meantime, even better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 11:49   #67
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

Definitely an issue I have encountered before with previous cars.

I will investigate further when weather and time permits. Like you say, the belts are cheap and readily available. They'll be coming off (and being replaced) in a month or two anyway, when I do the timing belt. If I can quieten the system down in the meantime, even better.
It is up to you of course, but I'd remove the alternator belts (they don't have to come all the way off, just pulled away from the pulley) and test out the alternator by hand well before you change the belts. It is a job that will only take 15 minutes and will be free, but it will tell you whether the alternator is worn out so you can come up with a plan to fix or change it if you need to. That makes sense as you will have to strip exactly the same parts for access to change an alternator as get to the cam and auxiliary belts.

Old Apr 1st, 2023, 11:34   #68
hreg240

Quote:
Good morning all,
The next jobs to do (which shall spread across a few weekends) are:
  • Replace all of the fuses with new ones I have bought. I will clean each contact at the same time. Preventative maintenance at its finest.
  • Inspect and measure up the rust hole ready for cutting and welding (whilst applying some hammerite in the interim).
  • Apply silicone spray to the aux belts to see if that stops my screeching on cold-start. The screech goes away just after engine gets to temp.
  • Check the spark plugs and decide if I need new ones, or to clean up the current ones.
  • Fit the new indicator stalk I got, to see if that fixes my main beam bother (which seems to have cured itself, but I wish not to poke the hornet's nest so-to-speak, so haven't thoroughly tested the issue since it last occurred).
  • Start to investigate the water in my boot. I believe I know the culprit: Every time I open the boot after rainfall, a stream of water drops into the boot floor from the wiring loom in the top n/s corner. This loom looks to have some terrible botch jobs which I shall set about fixing. I know I am also going to need a new rubber/plastic casing for the loom as it currently does not sit flush with the two holes in the metalwork.

After that, my attention will turn to welding in the new panel. Then, back to the cambelt and fixing the (aux?) belt screech (if silicone spray / new aux belts doesn't fix it).
Update for you all. So, from this list:
  • I have yet to fit the replacement indicator stalk, as my issue has solved itself. I will keep this good condition one, indoors, in the dry as a spare.
  • I haven’t applied the hammerite yet; the new panel should be welded in next weekend anyway. But I have thoroughly inspected the rust area
  • Need to check the spark plug condition this weekend
  • Fitting the new fuses when it is dry

The belt screech hasn’t stopped after tightening and spraying with silicone. Not sure the culprit but I think it is the alternator. I believe this to be the case, because when turning the pulley by hand, I can hear a chirping/screechy sort of noise.

Also, since slackening and tightening the belts + spraying with spray, my power steering belt makes a funny noise on full lock. Maybe I didn’t tighten the pump enough?

Finally, I have noticed the car splutters on cold, however not all the time. I think this is down to the spark plugs and timing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 03:39   #69
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Update for you all. So, from this list:
  • I have yet to fit the replacement indicator stalk, as my issue has solved itself. I will keep this good condition one, indoors, in the dry as a spare.
  • I haven’t applied the hammerite yet; the new panel should be welded in next weekend anyway. But I have thoroughly inspected the rust area
  • Need to check the spark plug condition this weekend
  • Fitting the new fuses when it is dry

The belt screech hasn’t stopped after tightening and spraying with silicone. Not sure the culprit but I think it is the alternator. I believe this to be the case, because when turning the pulley by hand, I can hear a chirping/screechy sort of noise.

Also, since slackening and tightening the belts + spraying with spray, my power steering belt makes a funny noise on full lock. Maybe I didn’t tighten the pump enough?

Finally, I have noticed the car splutters on cold, however not all the time. I think this is down to the spark plugs and timing.
That is good progress, well done.

It seems likely the bearings in the alternator are worn, they should be smooth and quiet. You could try living with it for a while, but they won’t fix themselves so now might be a good time to look for a replacement. Swapping it out is an easy job to do yourself.

The PAS belt is probably slipping because of the silicone grease at full lock when tension is highest. When you change the belt it should be okay.

Changing the plugs and checking the timing is a good idea, but spluttering will probably be down to the fuel system.

Good fortune,

Old Apr 4th, 2023, 07:57   #70
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That is good progress, well done.

It seems likely the bearings in the alternator are worn, they should be smooth and quiet. You could try living with it for a while, but they won’t fix themselves so now might be a good time to look for a replacement. Swapping it out is an easy job to do yourself.

The PAS belt is probably slipping because of the silicone grease at full lock when tension is highest. When you change the belt it should be okay.

Changing the plugs and checking the timing is a good idea, but spluttering will probably be down to the fuel system.

Good fortune,

Thanks Alan,

I presumed the slipping could have been down to the grease. I will be sure to give it all a clean when I change the belts.

With the alternator, I can live with it for the time being, but will certainly be looking for a replacement.

A strange turn of events with the spluttering, since changing the fuses this has stopped. The timing is still slightly out, but it starts a lot nicer now and makes less of a fuss.

Tags
240 estate, 240 general