Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D Throttle Body Cleaning Guide

Views : 80373

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 17:45   #61
shumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
It was a tough call to take the manifold off without gaskets to hand but it did refit without any subsequent drama - I just needed to investigate the extent of the carbon build up...!

I have a 54 plate 2.0D - I have never changed the throttle body & it was a company car before I got hold of it so doubt they did...? Luck of the draw perhaps?

I have had the EGR valve deactivated via the ECU at the same time I had the DPF removed; perhaps that's why its cleaner...?
The manifold cleaned up well after being soaked in brake cleaner. I'm now scratching my head as to how to clean out the cylinder head without taking it off to be reconditioned...!
I'm considering removing my DPF as well, maybe remove the EGR at the same time too.
How long has it been since you had yours done?
Have you had any side effects?
What was the impact on your insurance?
How much did it cost to have the DPF and EGR removed?
shumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 08:22   #62
shumon

I was going to attempt cleaning the throttle body on saturday, then I opened up the bonnet and found this;

It seems I have a double throttle?

How do I go about cleaning this? what do I do different to normal procedure?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0344.jpg (188.5 KB, 17 views)
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 11:02   #63
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

I'd imagine its not a million miles away from the single one. This is an upgrade on the single TB so there must be a way and someone on here that can help.

I want to add this to my car but would like to know where the pipes go?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 16:22   #64
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

i have always thought the double was DPF only. as for taking it off why not whip it off at the plate and take the two pipes off? after gently removing the connectors obviously.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 19:12   #65
shumon

No time to try until next week.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 23:30   #66
VenomS40

People have said on here that the single can be changed for the double TB? God knows where the second pipe goes too? This was meant to be a solution to the sticking TB as the EGR pipe is after the TB.

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 18:21   #67
mark webb

55 plate V50 with DPF, periodic 'limp mode syndrome' despite new DPF and ELOYS top-up last year. Found that symptoms disappear if I drive it much harder.
Anyway, did mine today, double pipework as per last pic (with branch on RHS. down to DPF?).
Same really as per guide above, white and green wiring connectors are top and bottom (respectively) Green is hard to see untill the bolts are loose..... Bottom torx is a right pain, I filled the void underneath the TB with white kitchen roll just in case I dropped it....glad I did!
Loads of carbon esp on sensor, which in my one was different to the pics above, hair fine wires with a tiny blob junction at the end. Didn't go anywhere near it with brush as it looks far too flimsy, carb cleaner blast did the trick. Other branch has metal flap valve and actuator motor which was also cleaned as above.
All back together, seems to start/run better, did get an 'engine service management' warning light up which has now gone.
Also cured leaky diesel connector which appeared to be letting airbubbles into fuel system while I was at it.
Might do EGR pipe and valve clean if this doesn't cure symptoms.
mark webb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark webb For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 18:06   #68
Wetbench4

I have the 2005 1.8 petrol s40. Where is the throttle body on these engines??
Wetbench4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 19:30   #69
lukas430000

Hello troops. Just found that thread with a wee help of Ninja59. Just checked my throttlebody last weekend and it's not that bad for 145k. My car is 2.0d 2008 s80 so enfine looks like on first pics. Someone in here said that it's possible just spray carb cleaner inside inlet manifold and that shold do the job. Not really fancy taking whole manifold down and replace all the gaskets. Car running fine without problems for now I just fancy cleaning it. Cos it's really full of s**t. Pipe what I thought was a breather pipe now i know is a egr pipe and it's connected to TB. Needs cleaning as well.
lukas430000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 20:56   #70
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas430000 View Post
Hello troops. Just found that thread with a wee help of Ninja59. Just checked my throttlebody last weekend and it's not that bad for 145k. My car is 2.0d 2008 s80 so enfine looks like on first pics. Someone in here said that it's possible just spray carb cleaner inside inlet manifold and that shold do the job. Not really fancy taking whole manifold down and replace all the gaskets. Car running fine without problems for now I just fancy cleaning it. Cos it's really full of s**t. Pipe what I thought was a breather pipe now i know is a egr pipe and it's connected to TB. Needs cleaning as well.
A few ways you could do this.

1) take the TB off and spray cleaner up into the mani. Get and old microfibre and a toothbrush and start digging...

2) take the air filter out and with the engine running at 2000rpm, then spray carb cleaner into the air box and that would also help in clean the gunk out of the inlet mani.

The Following User Says Thank You to VenomS40 For This Useful Post:

Tags
vaiotag