Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 152238

Replies : 938

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 13:40   #721
richmac

Hi Cyclo,

I've just done exactly the same repair to my exhaust. It's really easy. I removed the old rusty joining clamp as those two sections are now fused together. Also removed the hanagar that's over the hole. Fitted a Holts straight pipe repair with plenty of gun gum over the holy section and an exhaust repair hangar from PFV.
https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...3c20e9fe965b68
About £20 in total.
New Volvo tailpipes are only about £40 but your exhaust, like mine, has gone the wrong side of the joining flare so would need a fabricated union.

Hope this helps.

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 15:22   #722
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

You can get stainless & mild steel tubing on ebay quite reasonably:~
You may get a sliding fit to go over the section from the box and also replace the tail pipe in stainless if you wish- the hanger can be made from an exhaust clamp/round bar fabrication.
Exhaust tubing reducers are also available.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:36   #723
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
If it's just a case of lashing it up before getting it to a workshop for a proper job, then an old beer can, held on with 2 or 3 large jubilee clips and sealed with some exhaust paste will do the job. The MoT man can't fail it if it isn't leaking, no matter how rough the repair looks, but I wouldn't leave it like this for long, it definitely needs proper replacement/repair.
Been there, done that. Although in my case I used a Coke can, wouldn't want to look like a drink driver . It was in the days before 'Advisories' on the MOTticket though but I suspect it would get you one now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
You can get stainless & mild steel tubing on ebay quite reasonably:~
You may get a sliding fit to go over the section from the box and also replace the tail pipe in stainless if you wish- the hanger can be made from an exhaust clamp/round bar fabrication.
Exhaust tubing reducers are also available.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
The join after the cat in my exhaust failed a couple of years ago, my friendly exhaust fitter cut away the flanges on the ends of the pipes and fitted a sleeve over the two ends which is apparently a standard part for a VW exhaust.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 13:42   #724
ITSv40
VOC Member

Just search for ebay seller rev-motorstore. They manufacture every conceivable repair section that anyone could ever need. Good service and good prices too - quality is first class. I bought a repair section for my V40 last year and very accurate fit and easy to weld on and does the job. They do both stainless and mild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201022_181503.jpg (218.2 KB, 37 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 13:15   #725
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

What did I do with the 850? Moved it well clear of our 6 foot tall gates last night!

Yep, the wind was pretty strong and I was afraid that the gates would be flung open, whipping around into the front of the car...

While the gates remained closed overnight, the 6 inch bolt ripped the latch off and the only thing holding the gates together was a padlock and hasp - and the hasp will also need to be replaced as it is bent! Those gates were really banging last night

Its the first time that has happened since I put the gates up - perhaps 10 years ago! Wifey thought I was being over cautious (quote 'silly'), but I'm glad I moved the car now.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 16:12   #726
Donmac

Talking Another year with my 'Temp' C70 T5 Coupe

Purchased 13 months ago as a run-around while my '03 V70-R was in dock, I swear it has survived my every attempt to sell it by 'sensing' the sale and throwing up faults. Hence I had to sell the V70-R and soldier on with a C70 that also seems to 'sense' the state of my wallet and keep demanding a share!

So, booked an annual service, MoT and find the 'clonk' when selecting/changing gear.

MoT - no problem bar advisory on rear suspension bushes. But, got a verbal comment that the parking brake was slower to release on one side than the other.

Service - all ok but when warmed up it started miss-firing. Evidence of arcing found on coil so replacement required. Parking brakes stripped & serviced - no parts needed. Clonking traced to collapsed engine mount which, may have deteriorated more quickly due to a blue polythene top torque bar replacement bush so, both were changed.

Result - £858 later I drove away to find it's running quieter, smoother, slightly nippier at high revs and more of the five cylinder burble. Lovely! As a bonus got to see only the third 262C in my life.

Not the cheapest (or the worst) bill I've had but, at least one of my colleagues at work pays slightly more than this for only two months use of his German Coupe on a PCP. Who says old cars are expensive to run !
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 14:38   #727
cyclogenesis

Well thanks to all the hints re the exhaust. I ended up getting a length of stainless tailpipe, that stainless hangar from PFS and a tailpipe end to sort that job out. I chose to get my local mechanic to do the rest of the jobs, mainly as I do not have access to a ramp, my drive is not level and I have been very busy.

They replaced broken rear suspension bushes (Part numbers 9181027 and 9181013) with only one side (LH) still in stock by Volvo, plus the SEMS screws and hexagon nuts
Both inner and outer steering rack arms, including the bellows kit (271601 and 31476352)
A split CV boot (31256237)
Replaced drop link rod (PFS part)

Cost?

£586 in labour with 4.5 hours just on the rear suspension bushes alone and about £500 in parts. Robert DIY's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEqDfkuOaU

One more year of motoring to go until the next MOT. I hope its worth it!
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 23:38   #728
Dancake
Premier Member

Another years MOT in the 850 with no advisories
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 12:45   #729
cyclogenesis

Default Solar Charger

I had a spare 25W solar panel from a pond pump, so I have rigged it up to the car battery to apply a trickle charge whilst it is not being used daily.

Solar Panel into a cheap solar charge controller. I then used SAE connectors through the grommet located on the LHS bulkhead just aft of the air box.

Panel sits on the passenger seat when not is use and can be easily disconnected using the SAE connections.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 13:48   #730
Turbodave
VOC Member

Arranged for mine to go back to my lock up for winter storage / until I can find time and enthusiasm. It's been in my garage at the house since June after I bought it back, rose tints firmly on... it failed an MOT and I haven't managed to drum up enough enthusiasm to do anything with it since, aside for piling lots of crap on the roof and getting annoyed at it being in the road. So time to shut the door on it for a while, literally.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post: