Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution

Views : 33280

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 15:11   #71
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Just bought some headrests with screens in off ebay, picture attached, they are diferent to the ones at the start of the thread and sem to have an infra red sensor on them.

Looking at some headphones on ebay that say car infrared wireless headphones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Infrar...item2311fee461

I suppose its a long shot but will these work with my screens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC90 headrest DVDs.jpg (22.4 KB, 36 views)
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 15:30   #72
BestGear
Master Member

Bigtree....

Any headphones will work with any screens as they are not *really* connected in any way.

You need to find or deduce the pinouts of these heardrests - which should be easy enough either by the connector itself or by confirming when you open a monitor up and see what/how it connects to the PCB inside...assuming you know what to look for! Its probably best that you get the manual for the screen - again opening the screen will let you read a make?model from the screen or pcb....usually a sticker somewhere.

With regards to headphones - as long as the headphone transmitter is 12v, they will be ok as they will just have normal audio inputs. RF headphones are better than IR - for obvious reasons (ie if you turn your head to look out the window, there is a high chance the sound will go...)

The IR sensor on your monitors does not need to be connected - although, depending n what you are using to play the media, it may be possible to connect them up to that.

Hope that helps.

David
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 17:35   #73
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Thanks David, i will try and find a manual for the monitors, downloaded the standard XC90 manual but there is nothing in that about the screens.

I wondered whether the screens i had bought had built in IR transmitters for headphones, effectively negating the need for a headphone base station.

The headphones on ebay seem to interface with dvd screens directly if am reading the description correctly, the description reads

Compatible to all models of roof top or headrest monitor / DVD player / CD player equipped with infra-red transmitter

Looking forward to doing this, going to buy a pair of the sumvision media players to save arguments.

Ended up buying 2 of these step down transformers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1807135581...84.m1439.l2649

If the IR transmitter idea desn't work I may even be able to power a 5V headphone base station as well as the Player from these.

Did you include any in line fuses in your wiring?

Thanks again

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headphones.jpg (23.7 KB, 7 views)
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 17:50   #74
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I would not even try to get IR headphones working - RF is the best way in my opinion.

Interfacing various makes of IR kit is not easy without knowledge of each others design and not something that is likley to come together by luck!

I would go buy RF headphones of which there are many - get a set with a transmitter with them - I picked up a few sets for not much money (lucky I guess!).

Fuses - yes... I would always inlcude a fuse at the point of where I added any wiring unless it was directly into the fusebox where you can often use a spare slot. You can use either a 20mm cartridge inline fuseholder (my preferrence) or on that accepts the blade fuses (make sure its totally enclosed as its easy to short out otherwise).

I think you may find that the screens IR is a reciever NOT a transmitter.... so of very little use to you.

If you use two media players you will need to watch as the IR from the remote will bounce around and may be seen by both payers leading to trouble.... It would be easier to have one media player and one PS2 (or whatever) so that each screen can select either input... that way the media player and PS2 could both play different movies too... and no clashes of IR commands.

Either way - at least you have plenty of options.

David
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 20:50   #75
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Just had a panic on these. Been reading around and they are the Visteon monitors included in the executive, read somehwere that the remote control is needed to operate the system, i wonder iof that means the monitors also as there are no switches on them to switch on or off!

I think the model number is 1BYX-17C272-AA but can't find much on google
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 20:26   #76
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
Just had a panic on these. Been reading around and they are the Visteon monitors included in the executive, read somehwere that the remote control is needed to operate the system, i wonder iof that means the monitors also as there are no switches on them to switch on or off!

I think the model number is 1BYX-17C272-AA but can't find much on google
Have you tried them yet?

If no workey, open them up to identify them properly and contact the manufacturer if google fiinds nothing of use.

David
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 15:26   #77
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Spoke to Peter Elliott who confirmed that they would be a pig to get working, so i gave up. Luckilly i was able to get a refund and will keep a look out for the same type that you have.

Might even consider the strap on screens or even one of the tablet PCs that are out there and seem to go for around £50 each

So back to square one really

All the best

Steve
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 15:59   #78
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
....they would be a pig to get working, so i gave up. .

Steve
Out of interest, why the view that they would be a pig to get working?

There is not much to a monitor...how hard can it be?!?!? (prepaired to stand corrected here... )

The only show stopper (not really show stopper but inconvenience) would be if they need an IR remote to switch them on or select inputs, or have an LVDS input.

David
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 19:20   #79
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Peter said that the something along the lines of that the screen was driven/powered by the DVD/that the DVD unit was the brains. Don't think he ruled it out but he pointed out that there were easier soultions out there

I managed to find a wiring diagram here, page 13:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow...ng_diagram.pdf

This showed everything going through the DVD player

I had a good look around the internet and the only other usefull info i found was here:
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...26prmd%3Dimvns

I also tried emailing Visteon but didn't get a response.

In the end i was just worried that i would end up spending alot of time and money trying to get the screens to work when an easier solution might be out there, especially as i didn't have the remote.

Shame really, as i was quite excited about the project.

Steve
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 19:54   #80
BestGear
Master Member

Hi Steve

Yes, much easier solutions out there - but this would be doable with the right kit.

You say you have already arranged return of these screens, so I guess that is the end of it!

Ideally, you just want a screen that has a composite video input - perhaps two if you want to have the option to share playstation and video player together or separate.

Most screens these days are PAL and NTSC - just watch that when buying as NTSC only may be an issue when you connect cameras and games machines up.

Plenty around of all sorts for not much money so bide your time and the right thing will appear for the right cash.

David