Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI MMM2 satnav (MY8-11) not being updated

Views : 18976

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2016, 10:59   #71
Charc

Problem is, that Volvo itslef did not support this type of navigation and old 2013 update still sells for price of 3 portable navigators. I wish it would be easily upgradable for reasonable price and with clear schedule when updates will be released.

But the navigaton as such I like very much - interface is simple, but reliable, fully integrated into car and have all features that I need.
Charc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charc For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 11:22   #72
CornishSwedeV70

The last MMM2 update available to buy for the V70 2009 RTI was 2013, that's 3 years and no update and no news. The system cost £2000 as an option, the data exists and the DVDs could be updated, it could even be released for users to update and write their own updated discs.

To abandon those that purchased this system is criminal and it seems any query to Volvo is met with an attitude of tidy it under the carpet and forget about it.

I want to continue to use the system as I like it.

So I will if I can, get the discs from wherever they are available, don't preach to me about legality.
CornishSwedeV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CornishSwedeV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 15:59   #73
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

CornishSwedeV70 - Volvo are very wrong going to requests to continue to update this extremely expensive option.

Perhaps their attitude should act as a warning to anyone considering choosing this option on the later/current models.

(IAM member since 1986)
Cantankerous One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantankerous One For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 16:12   #74
Clan
Experienced Member

It's not the end of the world if updated maps are proved to be unavailable , , 99% of roads do not change drastically in a few years . It will probably be fine in 10 years time ...
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 08:04   #75
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
They are nothing more than priates: they obtain a copy of the map disc and then make further copies of it and sell the copies for commercial gain.

They are not licenced to copy and sell such software,

So they are pirating the software and being supported by anyone that purchases it.

In my country what they do is strictly illegal, as well as immoral.
I don't know how they sleep at night.
Show me the legal official way to update that sat nav, please, and have it fully usable and will pay even double that price to have it legal.
Volvo abandoned their customers using RTI MMM2 in 2013. Sorry for being able to sort out the things 'myself' rather than keeping outdated.
My sleep is perfect and if disrupted, then only by real life problems
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 09:19   #76
Cantankerous One
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It's not the end of the world if updated maps are proved to be unavailable , , 99% of roads do not change drastically in a few years . It will probably be fine in 10 years time ...
I'm afraid that's not much consolation Clan

(IAM member since 1986)
Cantankerous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2016, 13:13   #77
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous One View Post
I'm afraid that's not much consolation Clan
I agree...
Roads might not change much but new ones are being added and junctions & intersections regularly change.
The irony of this is the older MMM system has later updates.
It's just unfortunate Navteq (whilst part of a then failing Nokia) messed up the Mapcare program which ultimately meant the MMM2 system has become obsolete.
Why or how the decision was taken to no longer support this system I have not been able to get an answer from Mapcare (now part of Here), Volvo UK or Volvo in Sweden.
If I had been armed with this information at the time I would have certainly made different choices in my car purchase and perhaps held on for the later system.
If this was America I think we'd have filled a class action suit by now...
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 12:18   #78
Charc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishSwedeV70 View Post
Right I received the first disc from:
http://satnavdvd.co.uk Ordered on the Thursday 3rd June, received via 1st class post on the Mon 6th.

Engine running (Only really needed ignition on), Unlocked DVD player in boot, ejected and swapped disc, relocked and 2 mins later map was up and running.

Software and Hardware numbers remain the same but the datafile is updated, as shown in the photos, the new map shows completed Sainsburys in Penzance and it's roundabout whereas 2013 disc did not.

Also have discs on order from http://www.satnavdisc.co.uk ordered same day, will see when they arrive and test the discs B, A and D
Can you please attach file structure with dates, as I did in my post to this forum below?
Thank you
Charc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2016, 08:24   #79
Speedydannyboy

Interesting reading through this. My Sat Nav in my 2008 V70 has had the common failure and I was thinking of repairing it at a cost of £200+ or buy a replacement from eBay. Seem's like a waste of money if it isn't up to date! The Land Rover Nav unit looks the same looking at eBay listings, do LR or Aston support more updated discs?

Has anyone used the built in screen for an alternative use instead? Reverse camera or similar?
Speedydannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 17:30   #80
Backpedal

I ordered the updated disk for my 2008 MMM2 system. It arrived today, popped it in the car and it's updated the maps and improved the smoothness of the system.

Very impressed with http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk I would recommend it.
Backpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backpedal For This Useful Post: