Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Top speed 112from 2020

Views : 6599

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:06   #71
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I think its time to buy the RS6 while I still can. Bring on many cylinders and lots of noise, this old Volvo world is getting a bit boring for me.

:wq
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:21   #72
Whippy
Premier Member

I'll give it eighteen months then I'm off out to buy an Audi A6 biturbo.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:34   #73
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
One motoring blog says the 112mpg for the EQC is out of necessity rather than any sort of speed agreement;

Mercedes could have gone higher, like the Audi e-tron and the Jaguar I-Pace manage, but it would have come at the expense of lower-end acceleration. Range also drops rapidly at high speeds. The upcoming EQC 300 base model will reach the same 112 mph as well."
And yet the video above (of which I don't know the accurracy) says that etron is limited to the same 112MPH.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:34   #74
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
Unfortunately I agree with your vision of the future heavily relying on GPS assisted safety, that will be something that I would be terribly uncomfortable about. They already do it in the UK with insurance boxes which I find horribly invasive.
I agree with you but its already here. I was out at seven this morning meeting a service technician on site. All their vans have trackers that record positions, stop time, overspeeding and so on. The staff also have wearables devices that call emergency services if they become prone and still for too long. Similar vehicle trackers are fitted to most fleet heavy trucks and delivery vans including local post office vans. It is only a matter of the DVLA gearing up and making devices compulsory fit on all new cars.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:44   #75
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I am somewhat surprised how many drivers on this forum never drive above the speed limit, or maybe not admitting it, or ever drove above the speed limit, I do get the impressions that many hardly drive at all, or never long distances.
Volvo Drivers on here do seem a minority in the Real World of driving or certainly the way it comes across.

It is ironic, that to think some road cars have been able to travel faster than 112 mph since the 60's (ok further back than that but after the 60's 70's there were a lot more average cars capable of much faster speeds.

I never drove in that time where there was no limit on motorways, but drove when there was no limit on single carriageway roads. (still no limit on some roads in the IOM)

Cars were not even close to being safe compared to cars now days, Brakes, handling, safety features now days are way advanced.

Yet we still are forced to pander to the minority (many do gooders who do not even drive) because they do not see the need or pleasure in driving when the time is right at speeds that the cars are capable of now days.

There is a time and a place, as long as no-one else is involved with some common sense, then it should never be a problem. It is a small minority that ruins it for everyone.

I could and would love to be able to drive at 120 / 130 mph all day long on a clear road, right weather conditions to remove the time required, and boredom having to get to A - B
After 130 mph, things do start to move quicker than reactions on an average person with no real experience in my view.

I love driving always have done, but with the road conditions, a lot of very poor selfish drivers, even drivers that maybe should not be driving, and restrictions it is becoming a chore not a pleasure.

Personally if Volvo try to bring this in as an only manufacture I can see them losing a lot of sales.
Overtaking seems to be regarded as a sin by many people nowadays, instead of a basic driving skill. More and more people either don’t attempt it or haven’t a clue how to do so safely or indeed allow those that do, the room to pull in. I agree with you that a fair proportion of posters to these forums at least seem not to drive far or are the epitome of the traditional Volvo driver meme.

Not that i need to drive at over 112 mind you.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 6th, 2019 at 15:48.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:50   #76
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I think its time to buy the RS6 while I still can. Bring on many cylinders and lots of noise, this old Volvo world is getting a bit boring for me.

:wq
Or hang on to your D5 PowerPulse, ridden of any and all limits

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:56   #77
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
I thought it was a bit low at the time, in relation to a sub 6 0-60 secs.
With max speed being equal for all and 0-60 times getting lower than ever (with electrics the tire grip is the only limiting factor to go below 3sec..) one has to wander what will happen with the sports brands like Porsche..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:57   #78
familymangreg
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Or hang on to your D5 PowerPulse, ridden of any and all limits
Until the next service :-).
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:59   #79
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Overtaking seems to be regarded as a sin by many people nowadays, instead of a basic driving skill. More and more people either don’t attempt it or haven’t a clue how to do so safely or indeed allow those that do, the room to pull in. I agree with you that a fair proportion of posters to these forums at least seem not to drive far or are the epitome of the traditional Volvo driver meme.
Driving over to Chichester this morning, had to follow a slow and steady with no opportunity to overtake as there was a steady stream of oncoming traffic. When I do get the opportunity the T5 is quick off the mark.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 16:06   #80
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Until the next service :-).
You suggesting they will push the speed limit to existing cars, retroactively, via updates? I suspect that would be legally impossible- as I have signed a contract for a car with no such limitations.. I don't remember checking a box authorizing Volvo to make changes to my car's specification at their own leisure..

XC40 B4 RD AWD