Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nokian Tyres

Views : 13546

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 23:35   #71
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I have just been to my local garage who supplied my NRVis, and asked them to price some WRs for me.
They called me later and said their supplier will not sell WRs because they are only intended for cold climates and use below -5C. Using them in our warmer weather would make them like "mashed potatoe" he said. By this I think he means too soft for practical use or longevity.

As this seems to contradict the advice given on this forum, I have just now attempted to contact Nokian for clarification "from the horse's mouth" but the Nokian web address is not responding.
Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and it doesn't indicate a problem with the company - in these trying financial times anything could happen I suppose.
AB
Take a look at this review AB The guy reviews them as all weather tyres, just remember he has them fitted to a two wheel drive vehicle.....http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663067

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 13:50   #72
AB-UK
Premier Member

Roy,
Thanks for the link - if you look at one of the comments further down (from Sparkie) it negates the positive review a little. In view of the negative comment from my tyre supplier also, I wanted some confirmation from Nokian themselves.

I managed to get the Nokian website up, and I emailed one of the Directors. I asked which tyres would be suitable for use in the UK. It was passed the Technical Services Manager and in very quick time I received two replies from him - reproduced below :-
-----Original Message-----
To: ab
Sent: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 7:11
Subject: RE: Safety Information Please

Dear A

Both of our Nokian WR SUV and Nokian WR G2 SUV are designed to winter use.

We recommend to use in summer time real summer tyres as our latest Nokian Z SUV / Nokian H/T SUV that we have in that size as well.

Handling and wet grip are in better level in summer conditions with real summer ones.

Best regards :

Matti Morri
Manager
Technical Customer Service
Nokian Tyres plc
matti.morri@nokiantyres.com
I then asked :-
Sent: 7. marraskuuta 2008 10:15
To: Morri Matti
Subject: Re: Safety Information Please

Mr Morri,
Thank you for your very quick reply.
I have one more question for you please.
Here in the UK we normally have wet weather, and medium temperatures, and only a few months of snow and ice.
Accordingly, we need an all-year tyre.
Will the Nokian Summer tyre (NRVi) be more safe than the WR SUV?
Regards,
A B

Dear A

If you compare those mentioned tyres and you like to use same tyre year round I rexcommend to choose Nokian WR SUV.

BR : M.Morri"
It would seem that the Nokian WR SUV tyres will be okay for year-round use in the UK.
I will be showing my local tyre garage these emails and see if he can get his supplier to order some. Failing that I'll have to buy them on-line. The cheapest I have found is £125 each - not fitted though.
Regards,
AB
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 17:41   #73
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
It would seem that the Nokian WR SUV tyres will be okay for year-round use in the UK.
I will be showing my local tyre garage these emails and see if he can get his supplier to order some. Failing that I'll have to buy them on-line. The cheapest I have found is £125 each - not fitted though.
Regards,
AB
AB....... mytyres have them at £123.90. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...igan=Wi&Achse=
Camskill have the Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extreme's at £119.00 http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...=m26b625s253p0 Review........http://www.reifentest.com/cgi-bin/au...1z129z101&&&EN If the review link dosn't work go to.....http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...igan=Wi&Achse= and click on tyre test then the tyretest.com link that is at the top of the little box that opens.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Nov 7th, 2008 at 17:55. Reason: Review link added
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 12:29   #74
languageservicesco

Quote:
I have just been to my local garage who supplied my NRVis, and asked them to price some WRs for me.
They called me later and said their supplier will not sell WRs because they are only intended for cold climates and use below -5C. Using them in our warmer weather would make them like "mashed potatoe" he said. By this I think he means too soft for practical use or longevity.
AB
I've heard some real b*****ks in the process of getting my WR's fitted. The first place said they were cheap and nasty until I asked if the stuff he sold at that price was also cheap and nasty :-). The second place insisted on calling them Nokia tyres, and couldn't get them anyway. They agreed to fit them, but afterwards said that due to the fact that they are a cheap tyre, they had difficulty balancing them. I did of course put them right on that, but fail to see how it makes any difference anyway.

Either way, for thr limited period they have been on, I'm perfectly happy. I detect no difference in road noise, comfort feels similar, but I can't comment on mpg yet. Looking forward to trying them in some snow!

Cheers,
Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 15:17   #75
AB-UK
Premier Member

Kevin,
How much were the WRs?
Also, how do they handle in the little bit of rain we have just enjoyed?
AB
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:01   #76
languageservicesco

Default WR cost

Hi AB,

I paid around 119 each from mytyres. Local tyre place fitted them for 10 pounds a corner. I had given them the chance to order them, but they couldn't, so I checked they would fit them for me.

I am not a very energetic driver in a 2.5 ton diesel vehicle, but I haven't noticed anything negative about the tyres so far in any conditions. Did a motorway trip in the rain on Saturday, but otherwise have mainly been driving locally.

Cheers,
Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to languageservicesco For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 20:34   #77
AB-UK
Premier Member

Looks like the current price from Mytyres is about £125 each, and fitting £15 each (inc disposal of old tyres) = £560.
Still, if I can get an extra year out of them it will be better value than the NRVis.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 19:47   #78

Default Nokian WR for UK use

Hi guys... Looking for best prices on WR's and arrived at your forum, although non of the dealers referred to herein offer anything constructive. So hope you don't mind a non Volvo blokey on here...

I have run WR's on my TD4 (Remap) Freelander for about 3 years and have to say I would say they are fine for year round use in the UK.

The last two days has shown their mettle on the white stuff and they are truly amazing, even on sheet ice or snow. You really have to coax it to break traction !

Have always bought from mytyres but I have usually paid about £140 for my 235 50 R18 (101XL)... but they are £285 at the mo !!! Although the G2 is about £130 ! but TBH I don't want to change.

I reading all the threads on here I would say the side walls on the Nokian (WR) are definitely soft (and they will permanently damage from a moderate impact). The only other criticism would be its lateral ability in the wet - although they are very progressive at letting go and it's easy to catch.

I have driven many cars & tyres, mainly performance and are very particular when it come to 4 small black patches and my safety.

In a nutshell: good for all year round UK use, a few very small draw backs but absolutely outstanding on the slippy stuff !

Unless I can find any at better price I will very reluctantly have to buy something else
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 20:25   #79
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Hi guys... Looking for best prices on WR's and arrived at your forum, although non of the dealers referred to herein offer anything constructive. So hope you don't mind a non Volvo blokey on here...

I have run WR's on my TD4 (Remap) Freelander for about 3 years and have to say I would say they are fine for year round use in the UK.

The last two days has shown their mettle on the white stuff and they are truly amazing, even on sheet ice or snow. You really have to coax it to break traction !

Have always bought from mytyres but I have usually paid about £140 for my 235 50 R18 (101XL)... but they are £285 at the mo !!! Although the G2 is about £130 ! but TBH I don't want to change.

I reading all the threads on here I would say the side walls on the Nokian (WR) are definitely soft (and they will permanently damage from a moderate impact). The only other criticism would be its lateral ability in the wet - although they are very progressive at letting go and it's easy to catch.

I have driven many cars & tyres, mainly performance and are very particular when it come to 4 small black patches and my safety.

In a nutshell: good for all year round UK use, a few very small draw backs but absolutely outstanding on the slippy stuff !

Unless I can find any at better price I will very reluctantly have to buy something else
All I can suggest, is to go back and look at the test reports for the Nokian G2 235/50/R18 (101XL).
You might decide, that they are more than satisfactory for your requirements.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote