Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty Volvos

Views : 20872

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 17:49   #71
tingy
VOC Member

toyota hilux

tis what id buy if i was gonna get a 4x4
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 17:51   #72
JamesS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingymagig View Post
toyota hilux

tis what id buy if i was gonna get a 4x4
how about a humvee.. that will pull anything surely
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 20:20   #73
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS40 View Post
how about a humvee.. that will pull anything surely
And my bank manager into an early grave wi the overdraft for the fuel tank!!!!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:00   #74
4wheeldriver
Master Member

UPDATE

Cars now with local dealer. Got a loan car and what an eye opener. Like chalk and cheese. Unfortunately " no fault codes are present" so have left it with them to see what else they can come up with. HAve to admit that I like driving the loan car though. Wish my own one was so easy to live with!! Totally different drive!! Smooth, responsive and nice gearchanges.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:08   #75
gillberry
VOC Member

I take it the loaner is an xc90
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:13   #76
4wheeldriver
Master Member

XC90 D5 se lux
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:25   #77
gillberry
VOC Member

Having read your posts and those of others who have experienced faults with their xc90's it has filled me with a slight trepidation as I'm looking to buy a new one in a couple of months but seeing your reaction to a fault free one means they can't all be bad .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 20:31   #78
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Cool

Its a hundred times better than my own one. But then in fairness ive only had it half a day and done 20 miles with it!! Still doesnt mean I'd have another at the moment though given all the aggrevation to get to this point. It just made me feel a lot more confident after just a couple of miles when you put your foot on the gas and get progressive acceleration rather than fits, spurts and stutters.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 00:07   #79
Grim Deano

Hi mate, sorry to hear about this story and what a story it is, i have had 3 simular experiances myself and know how stressful and upsetting it is, one of my experiancies being a Volvo S60 that i took to my local stealer to have a button changed on the steering wheel due to it been faded in colour, any how they took my car in and ten minutes later the Mechanic came out with my airbag in his hand asking me if i had ever had the airbag off before, in which i replied i hadnt and he said well someone has because the plugs for the airbags have been glued in and they have broke when i took the airbag off, i argued the point that the car was fine until they got there hands on it, but they insisted that the damage had been done previously and wanted to charge me £375.00 for a new wire loom, in which i agreed to pay and booked the car in for the following day, now my car had only one previous owner from new and it was only four years old when i owned it, so i rang the previous owner which was a Brewery and ask them if the air bag had ever been removed in which they said no we dont think so, and gave me the number for the volvo dealer who had looked after the car whilst they owned it, they checked on there computer and there was no record of the airbag been removed, and said to me that Volvo dealer i was using is trying to pull a fast one, and i asked them if needed would they write a statement to the fact that the airbag had not been removed, in which they said they would.
The next day i took my car to the volvo dealer and let them carry out the repair work, and paid the bill by cheque, got in my car went home and phoned my Bank and cancelled the cheque i wrote, i wrote a stern letter to the Stealer stating that i had been in touch with the other Volvo dealer and that i had proof about the airbag, and that i had also cancelled the cheque i wrote them, and was more than prepaired to go to Court as i had all the evidence i needed, and looked forward to there responce to this matter and here i am five years later still awaiting there responce lol.

Another one was a Vauxhall vectra i purchased from stoneacre it was full of gremlins, the passenger window used to go up then come half way down again, the whole car used to misted up for no apparent reason, you opperate the wash wipe for the front, and rear would work but of course none of these things ever happend when stoneacre took it in, and i used to get fobbed off, in the end i got so fed up of it i simply traded the car in, at another garage.

The final one was quite a few years ago i purchased a L redg Vauxhall Frontera, with 32,000 miles on it i owned it for three weeks and the rear diff packed up on the N/S no drive to the wheel, so i phoned the garage up where i bought it from and they asked me to take it to a local garage to confirm what was wrong with it and get a quote for the repair, the garage i took it to quoted a grand to repair it, the Garage i bought it from decided they could do it cheaper, and wanted me to jump on a train to collect a courtesy car from them and they would send a low loader to collect my 4x4, so i said why dont you stick the courtesy car on the back of the low loader and fetch it when you collect my 4x4, in which they agreed, anyway the next day a bloke came in a ford maverick with a single axle wooden car trailer with a Renault Clio on the back, he took the Clio off and spent almost an hour trying to get my 4x4 on the trailer every time he got the front of my 4x4 on the trailer, the trailer just lifted the back of his Maverick of the floor, any how he finally got it on and off he went, so i was left with a Clio that had two bald tyres and no brakes, so i phoned the garage again and told them about the Clio, in which they asked if i would get it sorted and they would reinburse me, in which i did.

Because i was self employed at the time i had landed a big contract at the new Bullring centre in Birmingham, and had to work away from home so the next day, from them taking my 4x4 i rang them to see how long they would have my 4x4 for as i didnt want to go away and tie up there Courtesy car, the guy i spoke to said i will get the person who is working on it to phone you, that afternoon i got a call from the garage stating that my 4x4 had been written off on the way to the Garage, apparently the idiot with the Maverick took a corner too fast lost control and both vehicles ended up rolling down an embankment, apparently my roof of the vehicle was now sat on top of the doors and ever panel had serious damage, and yet it took them until the following afternoon to ring me, they said that the finance would be payed in full because i had GAP insurance, so i asked about the £1500.00 deposit i put in, and was told the Finance company had it, but they would get me a replacement vehicle, to make this story shorter, they got me a N redg Frontera, that was basically a bag of ****e, it had 60,000 miles on it and every panel was marked, now mine was mint inside and out, i said i am not accepting that with that they gave the courtesy car i had to some woman, and they simply turned round and said we dont want to deal with you, and walked in to the office, so my wife and i was stranded in Birmingham about 120 miles away from where i live, so i went and kicked the office door open and said wheres my £1500.00, in which i got told the finance company had it and i would have to retrieve it from them, things got a bit ugly here i wont go into detail, but will say one guy ran as fast as he could.

I finally got home and had about three weeks of hell trying to get my £1500.00 back, i rang the garage it was nothing to do with them, it was the finance company, rang the finance company got it was the garage who had the money, then i snapped big time i phoned the finance company and spoke to rather nice guy who explained to me that the deposit was left with the Garage and they just supplied finance for the amount outstanding, i did some research and found this garage was owned by a bigger car company, so i rang them and asked to speak to the Managing Director, the receptionist i spoke too said im sorry he his busy and he cant come to the phone right now, so i replied to her and said look love if you want to keep your job then i suggest you get him on the phone because if i do not speak to him with in the next five minutes then i am serving him with a Bankruptcy notice, two minutes later he was on the phone and six days later i recieved a cheque for £1500.00.

As you can see from what i have been through i know how angry and upset you are and i hope you eventually get things sorted, there is a light at the end of the tunnel trouble is it takes time to get there, but you hang in there and DONT BACK DOWN until you get what you want. P.S. sorry for hijacking your thread, but it shows that you aint first that this has happend too and you wont be the last, the most annoying thing of it all is how these Garages treat you, hope you get sorted soon mate, and keep us all posted.
Grim Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grim Deano For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:29   #80
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Wink

3 days in the loan xc90 now and I actually enjoy driving the car!! Well apart from the interior colour choices that is but one mans meat etc. The loan car is great. Drives a dream next to my own so they cant all be bad then. As Migrator said in an earlier post to quick to damn and to slow to praise well here it is. THEY'VE BUILT AT LEAST ONE GOOD XC THAT I CAN VOUCH FOR!!!!

Still no word from Volvo or the dealer on my own one yet though!!