Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake disaster

Views : 62531

Replies : 210

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 18:13   #71
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Had a look at mine today.

2005 V70 2.5T, 62000 miles.

As others have found, I discovered the lining detached from the lower shoe on the nearside.

New set of shoes fitted to both sides.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 15:18   #72
dzidek

Guys!
Did you replaced springs for the handbrake shoes as well or that springs are OK as it is?
I just called to GSF and asked for set of that springs and they don't sell them.
So, I assume that don't need to change them?

BTW the Volvo sells them for £4 each.
dzidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 16:01   #73
serum

Yes, this indeed is a true marvel of mis-engineering. inferior. It's an unbelievable weak spot, i can't imagine Volvo got away with this. The brake-shoes are simple using the wrong glue or the oxidation presses the brake-pad from the brake-shoe. It's an engineering horror. I can't believe this made it through the 'volvo standards'

first; the brakeshoes are not centered in what way ever, they are centered with the luck of springs on a rough surface, the actual brakes need to rely on a small 15X35mm large aluminium part, i wouldn't dare to call this an emergency brake.. I really can't believe someone approved this design. and i seriously doubt his feeling for mechanics. Cost down, performance down, quality down solution.. Nothing more. (now, please tell us how you really feel.. )

it's an expensive repair for sure.

replace all springs, as simple as that.
serum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serum For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 16:41   #74
dzidek

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum View Post
Yes, this indeed is a true marvel of mis-engineering. inferior. It's an unbelievable weak spot, i can't imagine Volvo got away with this. The brake-shoes are simple using the wrong glue or the oxidation presses the brake-pad from the brake-shoe. It's an engineering horror. I can't believe this made it through the 'volvo standards'

first; the brakeshoes are not centered in what way ever, they are centered with the luck of springs on a rough surface, the actual brakes need to rely on a small 15X35mm large aluminium part, i wouldn't dare to call this an emergency brake.. I really can't believe someone approved this design. and i seriously doubt his feeling for mechanics. Cost down, performance down, quality down solution.. Nothing more. (now, please tell us how you really feel.. )

it's an expensive repair for sure.

replace all springs, as simple as that.
That small 15X35mm aluminium part snapped off in my case. So now I have replace a hub carrier!!! I can not believe that it happened with the Volvo car. I understand Fiat or an other cheap make but the Volvo?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 17:49   #75
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I did'nt replace the handbrake springs on mine, all fine so far & the springs felt strong. Maybe time will tell.

On the back of mine, I did my mates 850TDI. He got the parts from GSF in Liverpool whilst on a family visit. GSF sold him the springs (fixing kit) too.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 17:53   #76
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
So now I have replace a hub carrier!!!
Noticed the hubs were still on te V70 in breaker near Exeter http://http://www.whitehorsecarbreakers.co.uk/
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 21:37   #77
dzidek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Noticed the hubs were still on te V70 in breaker near Exeter http://http://www.whitehorsecarbreakers.co.uk/
Thank you for that link but I already got it for £85 + £12 next day delivery.
Cheers
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:35   #78
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum View Post

To be honest, each car I've had with this type of handbrake has given some kind of problem or another. Not only rubbish on the Volvo in fairness.

BMW 5-series had a remarkably useless handbrake. Utterly useless from the day I drove it out of the showroom

BMW 3-Series you have to leave the handbrake off when you're washing the car to save the risk of the brake locking on. I remember the AA having to drag the thing along to release the brake. Oh well, at least it worked!

Boxster - useless handbrake and extremely expensive to replace the handbrake shoes. I was told that this type of handbrake prevents the disc warping when the handbrake is applied when hot as can happen on a conventional system that works on the caliper.

Each of the above had seperate drums for the handbrake and they were all problematic.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 17:26   #79
Clan
Experienced Member

This type of handbrake was first used by volvo in 1968 on the 140 and has been used ever since , Volvo pioneered again ..
There was never really any handbrake shoe problems until after 2000 , obviously the supplier or quality dropped since then .. The answer is simple , riveted shoes like we all used to have , utterly reliable .... so come on volvo sweden you know you have a problem just specify a new type of shoe and make it very abrasive like those pads you brought out in 1978 to cure 240 rear brake vibration ..... This will give a good grip and keep the drums clean .
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 17:51   #80
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

That makes sense Clan. I've had my 240 for 7 years now. I replaced discs & pads in 06 or 07. The handbrake shoes where clean & had loads 'left in them' so I let them be. Handbrake is still rock solid @ 3 clicks! No record of them ever being replaced (and I have a massive file of bills/receipts). 'Tank' has done 197k miles too

My850's were replaced by me around 154k miles & the friction material had simply 'gone' in one side & was breaking up in the other
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote