Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 80041

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:02   #71
mrc1501
Master Member

I couldn't get my tail gate open the other day when my battery went flat. There was just enough juice to allow the central locking to open all the doors, but the tail gate would not open .

I only wanted it open to get access to the battery, so after clambering over the rear seats and removing all the dogs beds, etc (was on a day out!!) via the side doors, it was at that stage when you sit back and think, "what a ****ing stupid design not to incorporate an internal door release!! My Classic V70 had one on the tail gate, and all the other doors have both internal and external door releases.......so why not on my XC??

What would have happened if I had the extra seats in the rear and wanted to get out of the car quickly!!

Anyway, it was at this stage when the AA man turned up........and quickly pointed out that I had a battery charging point under the bonnet...to which he quickly attached his jump start kit and sprang the car back into life.

I wonder if anyone has retrofitted the Classic V70 tail gate internal release to the series 2.........or do I see a project looming.........

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 14:41   #72
Brendan W
Premier Member

Afaik there is an internal release device that goes with the 7 seat conversion kit.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 16:30   #73
chiptivo
Premier Member

mine has a hidden cover just above the rear number plate that has a mechanical lock to use with the key??? am I the only one?
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 04:59   #74
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Afaik there is an internal release device that goes with the 7 seat conversion kit.
Can this be bought separate from the kit, and what exactly does it look like? Anyone confirm or have a piccy?

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:53   #75
Gpaul

Default 04 v40

Thanks for all the info, to get the trim off the V40 the plastic trim at the top has 4 push in clips 2 either side of the wiper arm and their are 2 more on the outer edges of the carpeted part. I found the reason for mine not working was that the rubber seal around the actual key/press actuator had perished and was jamming the pusher. Removed it and all works perfectly, will get a new one from Volvo and should be able to slip it back in without removing the cover inside the car.
Gpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 13:57   #76
Marmitespreader
Master Member

And i thought that the circled indentation was a rear view camera mounting point
An optional manual lock.
Marmitespreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 17:43   #77
anthony chambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpguerra View Post
Latest Update: I decided to stop being lazy and I removed the linning around the wire loom and guess what - not one but three wires were interrupted and one had lost its pvc insulation!! I repaired and it's working flawlessly! I guess I was (un)lucky when I measured the current and detected it whenever I clicked the remote...
Bottom line: lazyness won't save me money! Hard work will!

Manuel from Portugal.
Having read your update I was anxious that my same problem was not the same as yours, however as soon as I opened the silky cover of the loom, I was amazed to see the very same broken three wires. Thanks for giving me the confidence to open up the loom. Soldering a fresh piece of wire into the circuit was a little tricky, but as soon as I had insulated the wires Bingo! problem solved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2251close up.jpg (187.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by anthony chambers; Dec 6th, 2012 at 17:52.
anthony chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 09:27   #78
Qube

Default Pressing down on spoon

Firstly, thanks to Symes and others who have posted very useful information here. It's great that you share so much information.

I have the stuck boot on a 2003 XC70. I have gained access thru the back panel. In my case it seems that the connecting arm from the lever to the lock has broken/become disconnected. I have pressed down on the spoon, but can only get the lock to half disengage -it is being held on the lock, as if not properly closed. I've tried pushing hard, bt managed to slip with my screwdriver and snap off a piece of the white plastic close by. My question: can i remove the rear panel by pulling it off, with the boot lock only half disengaged? Is it screwed around the edges or underneath?

Alternatively, any other advice of how to proceed? I've tried to reconnect the connecting rod, but iit is really tricky to se anything by trying to work from above and my hand is suffering from bruising and cuts from my earler attempts.

Many thanks, in advance, for an help or advice.
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 05:09   #79
Symes
Master Member

Hi there, sounds like you might have take quite drastic measures.... the trim is held in by two torx screws in the 'pull pockets ' which you normally use to close the rear hatch! And the lip on the edge will be held by the rubber seal.

It might be a good idea to price up a replacement from a breakers yard and use a padsaw to cut out the section of yours to gain access to the mechanism.

There are certainly posts about the actuating rod bending and / or coming loose which may well have been the root cause of the problem in your case.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 21:21   #80
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and sharing his findings, and also to everyone else who has chipped in.

The tailgate on my V70 failed to open this week and, after reading this thread, I was able to open it from the inside and start to fault find the problem.

In my case it wasn't wiring but it seemed that the actuator was perhaps over extending and causing the mechanism to seize.

I lubricated the motor/gears/shaft and also popped a cable tie on as per an earlier thread.

So far so good!