Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What a difference a new set of volvo plugs make

Views : 11333

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2013, 09:34   #71
villar4sotrondio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechakev View Post
It's true. Companies use 3rd parties to make bits for them all the time. It makes sense and saves lots of money. Do you think your brakes pads are made by Volvo? Nope. They are not. This is no different.
This has been happening for decades now. In fact, some automotive component
manufacturers are older than many car manufacturers and do develop the parts for the car maker to meet their specs.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 09:57   #72
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupper View Post

I can tell you for a fact those genuine volvo plugs you hold is such awe were for most of the last decade bog standard plugs that met volvos spec and were no different from any other plug of that spec apart from the fact they went into a volvo branded box , that my friend is fact .

Its also a fact the current supplier does not make special plugs for volvo they simply meet volvos spec as to heat range etc .
I am not answering his post as i cannot tolerate characters as himself after reading ALL of his posts since he joined only a few days back so he has done well to be banned so quickly for whatever reason!

But if one deciphers exactly what he says about plugs he is going around in circles by saying the spec of those plugs are the same spec as the ones laying around which complied with Volvo specs.......which is a rather stupid statement and if true then they are the plugs which were made to Volvo specs the difference is they won`t have the number stamped on them they will have Volvo printed in Blue on them.

If the spec WAS the same as any other plug then how come the number of the plug as regards heat range, hot/cold, is not stamped or pressed into it!

If they were the same plug sent to Volvo for that little man out the back with his blue felt tip pen to write Volvo on then the number or heatrange would be stamped on it , but it isn`t if you look at a Volvo plug all it has on my spare ones anyway is Germany and some numbers which must be the spec numbers for Volvo and not Bosch or any other make.

When i next go to Halfords i will look at the recommended plugs for our motors and see if i can see the numbers printed on them, then that should prove it!
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:19   #73
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edang View Post
I read people shouting to use only OEM, no matter what and explaining the reasons why. All I know is that in many cases brakes (discs & pads) that fail are a result of incorrect installation or incorrect usage. The same thing with plugs, people say "only use genuine Volvo plugs". I think Volvo plugs are simply Bosch plugs according to Volvo specs. Does that make sense?
You are correct what you say about the Bosch plugs made to Volvo spec. but the difference is that then the Volvo spec plug made by Bosch cannot be sold as a Bosch plug with a different number on it as this is then copyright.

Everybody has to jump on the bandwagon producing and selling aftermarket car parts.......some are good some are made at a low price which will attract the smaller wallet but in the long run the cheap part may well have to be replaced even at only 6 months of use...so where is the inclination to buy cheaper....it simply does not pay as depending on the item replaced you will have labour charges as well to pay again.

I am no goody goody, yes, i will even buy aftermarket parts but not any running gear or engine parts.

I bought a pair of rear shock absorbers Sachs ones for my V70 at £21 each because the seller had more than his fair share of them so he sold them as a "leader" for other parts to sell from his business.

I have new headlamps which were £98 each Volvos are £300 but what does a headlamp do??........each has to buy as he finds fit.

When it comes to the engine it has to keep it`s reliability so Volvo parts all the way for me.

I have just replaced the Positive Crankcase Ventilation parts on the T5 and i bought them from Rufe £97 ....others have paid less for the parts but have replaced them again 2yrs later my Volvo parts should last me out let alone the car!.......

These threads come up all the time and they always will yet owners still buy cheap crappy parts for the car they really love and cherish.

They will spend all day Sundays polishing there motor with expensive detailing products which may all be down the pan the next time it rains but never ever give a thought what they buy for under the bonnet!
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:29   #74
Mattybucks

Wrong thread sorry.

Last edited by Mattybucks; Sep 27th, 2013 at 10:36.
Mattybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:47   #75
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

960kg you are right in respect with the fact that a lot of the time cost plays a vital part in car maintainance but the thing is when you can get genuine parts ie plugs at a cheaper cost than most aftermarket plugs why would you not buy them also in my case I had a running issue which I researched and 9 times out of 10 the answer was to fit oem plugs why would I not take this course of action?

As per my origional post I was merely posting my findings to help others. And the member who has been banned just could not live with my opinion which is just sad and very narrow minded

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:14   #76
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

Ok, so here's my problem, why I feel things don't make sense when I read stories of people about the bad quality of non OEM parts. Actually the fact that people only use OEM is not a problem to me, I understand it, but this I find a bit peculiar:

People complain about the quality, yet they say they have used so many non genuine parts before they come to that conclusion. Then why the heck did it take that many non genuine parts before you came to that conclusion anyway? Or are they simply exaggerating things to make a point? That's not really an honest approach...

Just accept the fact that there are people driving around enjoying their cars the same way as you do, except perhaps with lower costs. Also accept the fact that a lot of parts are simply installed the wrong way and are used in the wrong way. Don't just say that non genuine parts are crap just because you paid more for the genuine parts and to "justify" the (often) higher price. Some people take a gamble and some lose, some don't. Can't tell for sure unless you try it yourself.

And let's be honest, a Volvo S/V40 is a normal car, not some hyper modern super performance racer where every part was built for pure performance. You might dream that it's on a Ferrari level, but it is not. It's not like you screw up your car with the use of non genuine brakes or whatever.

Last edited by edang; Sep 27th, 2013 at 11:37.
edang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:47   #77
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Ok, so here's my problem, why I feel things don't make sense when I read stories of people about the bad quality of non OEM parts. Actually the fact that people only use OEM is not a problem to me, I understand it, but this I find a bit peculiar:

People complain about the quality, yet they say they have used so many non genuine parts before they come to that conclusion. Than why the heck did it take that many non genuine parts before you came to that conclusion anyway? Or are they simply exaggerating things to make a point? That's not really an honest approach...

Just accept the fact that there are people driving around enjoying their cars the same way as you do, except perhaps with lower costs. Also accept the fact that a lot of parts are simply installed the wrong way and are used in the wrong way. Don't just say that non genuine parts are crap just because you paid more for the genuine parts and to "justify" the (often) higher price. Some people take a gamble and some lose, some don't. Can't tell for sure unless you try it yourself.

And let's be honest, a Volvo S/V40 is a normal car, not some hyper modern super performance racer where every part was built for pure performance. You might dream that it's on a Ferrari level, but it is not. It's not like you screw up your car with the use of non genuine brakes or whatever.
Unless i can`t read and digest, i can`t really see what you are aiming at?

The bad quality parts are usually already on the motor from a previous owner who was selling ,so why use Volvo parts?

Here is a quote from one of your posts:

Well, finally here's the answer: it worked I did not use the new fuel filter yet, but I got my old plugs out and replaced them with the new ones and I used 2 new coil cables. That's it. Problem solved, so it has been the plugs/cables all the time. No stutters, WOT runs OK. I am happy now. Well, not fully yet. I'll start a new topic, there's another issue now....

So those who adviced new plugs, cables / to look at ignition: 100%

We all get caught out by problems and then find the answers but usually the hard way and one hard way is non Volvo plugs on a T4 or turbo even the T5.

Here is another one:

No, I'm gonna stick with the OEM actuator now. I feel nothing wrong with that one, even if you adjust the rod to the max. I don't doubt Forge will be ok, but I also feel the OEM actuator is strong enough to cope with the higher max. boost (until the opposite is proven).

You bought the Kinugawa one which i said the boost is all over the place but you bought it and now it has failed after only about a week not bad for £45.

So we all live and learn as i had to in my years but don`t knock your head against a brick wall , don`t go back for more punishment.

What one learns one might forget
But what one has understood one never forgets.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:55   #78
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

Keith, as for the bodywork, I would stick with OEM. I have bought a non genuine fender once, but it clearly didn't fit half as good as an original front fender. It's like cheap bodykits. The same goes for the head lights, I used TYC brand once instead of original Hellas, but they also didn't fit as good as Hellas and the surface of the glass was wearing quite fast. This is all Renault related, but still... . And yes, chassis related parts, engine parts, I like to keep that OEM too. I'm referring to my Kinugawa actuator that only lasted like a few weeks or so?... But if you don't try, you'll never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
You are correct what you say about the Bosch plugs made to Volvo spec. but the difference is that then the Volvo spec plug made by Bosch cannot be sold as a Bosch plug with a different number on it as this is then copyright.

Everybody has to jump on the bandwagon producing and selling aftermarket car parts.......some are good some are made at a low price which will attract the smaller wallet but in the long run the cheap part may well have to be replaced even at only 6 months of use...so where is the inclination to buy cheaper....it simply does not pay as depending on the item replaced you will have labour charges as well to pay again.

I am no goody goody, yes, i will even buy aftermarket parts but not any running gear or engine parts.

I bought a pair of rear shock absorbers Sachs ones for my V70 at £21 each because the seller had more than his fair share of them so he sold them as a "leader" for other parts to sell from his business.

I have new headlamps which were £98 each Volvos are £300 but what does a headlamp do??........each has to buy as he finds fit.

When it comes to the engine it has to keep it`s reliability so Volvo parts all the way for me.

I have just replaced the Positive Crankcase Ventilation parts on the T5 and i bought them from Rufe £97 ....others have paid less for the parts but have replaced them again 2yrs later my Volvo parts should last me out let alone the car!.......

These threads come up all the time and they always will yet owners still buy cheap crappy parts for the car they really love and cherish.

They will spend all day Sundays polishing there motor with expensive detailing products which may all be down the pan the next time it rains but never ever give a thought what they buy for under the bonnet!
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:57   #79
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

Oh I see you already were referring to the actuator. Was kinda expecting that hehe.

Regarding my plugs tho... Volvo spark plugs went out and Volvo went in. Costed me Euro 38,00 (32 pounds I think)?

What I am aiming at is that people often say stuff, but only because they read about it, they were "adviced" by others or anything like that. No first hand experience involved what so ever. Like I told you before, I like to try things the hard way. But whatever the outcome may be, when I say I tried it then I actually really did and I can talk about it myself.

Last edited by edang; Sep 27th, 2013 at 12:06.
edang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edang For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 18:18   #80
Alex121
Premier Member

Quote:
What I am aiming at is that people often say stuff, but only because they read about it, they were "adviced" by others or anything like that. No first hand experience involved what so ever.
Just in case that was hinted at me as you posted something similar with in the other thread under my comment about always using OEM

I only mention about genuine because I grew up with my dads 2001 T4 which is still going after 205,000 miles, always been looked after by Volvo every year and always had Volvo parts - It never went wrong and never asked for anything.

I got my T4 last year and although tidy, it was an absolute shed underneath. I spent twice the cars value in the first month of ownership replacing aftermarket sh*t that other garages had put on with Volvo parts. I'm not even sure the cambelt is genuine Volvo (previous owner = idiot) so that's being done soon just in case.

This year mine flew through the vehicle health check and it's MOT without a single issue.

That and the fact that most people with brakes/noises/starting issues always get their cars running properly after swapping cheap crappy bits for genuine is enough 'first hand experience' for me
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote