Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone else getting their Winter tyres ready?

Views : 35128

Replies : 429

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:28   #71
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well these are the Firestone WinterHawk (no longer available as they now do the WinterHawk2 which look crap) which got me through the last couple of winters.

I expect this will be the last time I use them and so for the following year I'm considering the Vredestein Wintrac Extreme or Vredestein Snowtrac 3

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 16:19   #72
northernmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Awaiting delivery (expected mid October) of set of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s, apparently best winter tyre available (ADAC etc).

Going on a set of steel wheels.

Good price too.

Prufrock.
how much did they cost+where you orderd from?,i'm thinking of getting a set for my 96-960est.then i have to find set of rims..
northernmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 17:24   #73
princepugh

For information, I was in touch with 'tyremen' earlier this week who advised they could supply the Kleber Quadraxer in 225 45 R17 at around £117. They also do deals on steel rim combos so could be worth a call.

HTH
princepugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 18:52   #74
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by princepugh View Post
For information, I was in touch with 'tyremen' earlier this week who advised they could supply the Kleber Quadraxer in 225 45 R17 at around £117. They also do deals on steel rim combos so could be worth a call.

HTH
Cough http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225-45r17-...item1c19a08eac cough

£415 delivered for 4 tyres, <48hr turnround

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Sep 30th, 2011 at 19:48. Reason: Edited to correct bbcode for quote
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 20:42   #75
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
how much did they cost+where you orderd from?,i'm thinking of getting a set for my 96-960est.then i have to find set of rims..
My Vredesteins have arrived at my tyre depot; just waiting for my steel wheels to be powder coated. No-one wants steel rims they should be cheap -picked mine up for £20.00 for the four.

Four tyres, all inclusive: £285.00. The wheels will be £120.00 (that's a high quality job). Look on the Vredestein website for you local dealer - best go for a dealer as they'll order direct from Vredestein, if they are not they'll have to use a wholesaler = more £s.

They'll be on the car by Halloween - I'll post an image.

Hope this helps, Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 21:58   #76
Daisychainsaw

Talking

Just love snow tyres!

Living in a relatively rural area where grit has become a rearity (does it really cost that much - yes!) I am fitted up now. Ok, given the late summer and the loverly weather maybe I'm a bit previous but what the hell. at the end of last winter I swaped over to a pair of partworn Vred snowtracks (£12.50 a boot with 5mm) and immediately felt the difference.

Yesterday I swapped the Vreds to the front and put a pair of Uniroyals (again partworn with a tad under 6mm and apparently made by Continentals sister company) on the back end. Looking forward to seeing how the Uniroyals behave. They have a good blocky tread with good rain/slush clearing grooves.

I can only recommend Vredstien. I have used them on a Landrover Disco with great results.

Given that I regularly transport my 4 nippers around I am pretty selective about the tyres I put on my 940. I spent around 2 months finding the best (in my opinion) tyres at the right price.

My point - if you are on a budget, as I am thanks to the governments economic axe, partworns, with a decent tread depth and with reference to good, proven brands, should be a serious consideration for those looking to keep the back end of their rear drive Volvo on the road (or going up it!)

Roll on the snow - the kids want to go sledging again!
Daisychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 23:03   #77
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

i bought some cheap ebay jobbies , better than the blad 16s i did have on it - they were about 5mm left , the difference in braking was huge .......

traction was still limited altho that was my right foot.......

oh yeah , they were pirellis too - i did my research over a couple of weeks for a cost/quality and went for it - apart from two days - i was in work all the time .

im going to buy some chains this time , as long as i keep speed down , will guarantee me to get almost anywhere at 30 mph . the biggest thing is to be prepared with it .
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 18:23   #78
Wiznae
VOC Member

Unhappy Winter Tyres

As a 1st time owner of a Volvo (V70 DRIVe 1.6 2010 Model) I would be interested in what winter tyres you would recommend for my car - I currently have 16" Michelin
Wiznae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 19:24   #79
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznae View Post
As a 1st time owner of a Volvo (V70 DRIVe 1.6 2010 Model) I would be interested in what winter tyres you would recommend for my car - I currently have 16" Michelin
Continental winter tyres TS830 do the job for me

To be honest, once the temperature goes down below about 7C, any winter tyre will just amaze you, especially when the snow falls and the ice is there every morning

Don't wait too long if you are thinking of buying because last year once the snow fell, they were like hen's teeth

It's worth trying to find a set of steel or old cheap alloy wheels so that you can fit the winter tyres to do a straight swap every Nov/Mar without having to change the tyres on one set of rims twice a year

Keep to the same size as specified in handbook so that the ins co won't rate this as a modification
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 961 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 21:39   #80
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiznae View Post
The Vredestein Snowtrac 3s seem to get all the plaudits in the majority of tests; both subjective and objective (ADAC, TUV etc).

This doesn't factor in what's cheapest, what's readily available etc, or any other personal factors.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote